Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I get that, that’s why I think the 392 idea is ridiculous, practically speaking. There are only a few people who can afford to buy something like that. But if I were given the option to buy a Sport S with Max Tow and a 5.7 Hemi V8 when I bought mine, for a standard factory engine upgrade price - not a “special edition” price - I’d be all over it. And I don’t think I’m alone here.
Yes you are not alone, but there are not enough of you to justify the production costs. Hell, even 2 door JLs make up only what? 10% of Wrangler sales?

I don’t have time to research what the cost difference in a 2020 Ram 1500 V6 vs V8 are, but I imagine it’s not astronomical considering the amount of Hemi powered Ram 1500s there are on the road.
$1500-1700 on the build site for the Ram Rebel
https://www.ramtrucks.com/bmo.ram_1...ERG,DFT,DMH,TT6,WBT,G7,UAA,X9,PR4-QXJ,23W,APD

People who can afford a special edition 392 JL are a different breed than those who just want the additional power and exhaust note a nice Hemi V8 would provide.
Jeep banked on the Launch Edition in the same way, I think. They didn't sell like hot cakes

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
Yes you are not alone, but there are not enough of you to justify the production costs. Hell, even 2 door JLs make up only what? 10% of Wrangler sales?
The JT itself is an anomaly. They are definitely not for everyone - not even for every Jeep fan. 2-door Jeeps are not the thing anymore - for a pretty reasonable extra cost you get a ton more storage space protected from the elements.

Yeah, that’s not that much of a price increase, considering most of us paid a chunk of change over $40k for our JTs. I think a V8 JT option would be a better investment than the diesel.

Jeep banked on the Launch Edition in the same way, I think. They didn't sell like hot cakes
Jeep also botched the hell out of the LE production and release. I remember there were a lot of threads here and on Facebook about how folks were disappointed with their LEs - from factory flaws to receiving their “launch” vehicle after the “standard” vehicles were readily available at most dealerships

I don’t have any complaints about my 3.6, to be honest. It got me and my other Jeep across the country with relative ease and decent enough efficiency. I just can’t help but wonder how much more efficient it would have been with a little extra help from a Hemi.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
I don’t have any complaints about my 3.6, to be honest. It got me and my other Jeep across the country with relative ease and decent enough efficiency. I just can’t help but wonder how much more efficient it would have been with a little extra help from a Hemi.
how much difference is there between the Hemi and the Hellcat? I recall early on folks wheeling with Hellcats ended up needing upgraded axles from going too fast? Would the Hemi likewise require an upgrade if only for the weight and not because it has about half less HP than a Hellcat?

Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
how much difference is there between the Hemi and the Hellcat? I recall early on folks wheeling with Hellcats ended up needing upgraded axles from going too fast? Would the Hemi likewise require an upgrade if only for the weight and not because it has about half less HP than a Hellcat?
The hellcat has like 200 ftlbs more torque and 260 more HP. Need a 60/80 combo for that thing to be safe.

Dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
5.7 Hemi- 375HP/410LBFT
392 - 485HP/475LBFT
6.2 HellCat - 717HP/656LBFT
6.2 HellCat RedEye - 797HP/707LBFT

Those are the numbers from Dodge on their website, in the most convenient place to find the numbers - the Dodge Challenger builder.

Dudes throwing a HellCat engine in their Jeep on factory D44 axles and destroying said factory axles can probably afford to buy new axles at a whim. I don’t think a 5.7 Hemi would be as destructive to the drivetrain we have in our JTs, but I’m sure the designers of the 392 Concept JL have put quite a bit of work in to make sure that even the 6.2 Hemi doesn’t grenade the Jeep around it.

endurojeep

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
I did not see the article directly is it going to be the challenger version of the 6.4 or the truck version of the 6.4

Sponsored

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
@JeepCares that was an awful awful trick! I was so excited to be getting a V8 and now you gone and pissed me off with a tease! I’m definitely going to look at the Bronco a little closer now because of your BS marketing move. I didn’t care about the Bronco, but I do now!

That’s stupid. It’s absolutely gonna happen

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
That’s stupid. It’s absolutely gonna happen
If it happens, I retract my statement. I’ve heard there are 50 of the 392 Jeeps driving around testing. I also saw a commercial for it. Sure hope Jeep is not toying with my emotions. If the Wrangler is getting it, the Gladiator better get it. A V8 Truck convertible..... I am in love with the Gladiator, just not what’s under the hood, sorry.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sorry but not excited about the Bronco. Looks to cartoonish. I will stick with the original. JEEP.

I can however appreciate them and look forward to seeing them on the road along with the pressure to keep other manufacturers moving forward.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Didn't feel like reading all the way through but I do think it is kinda sad that Jeep would publish commercial for a concept vehicle that you cannot even have trying to steal attention from the Bronco that you really can buy. If they so choose Ford could go up to the 3.5 ecoboost and get more torque than the 6.4 discussed here and not have to make any changes hardly at all. I used to be a V8 guy but new technology has made them all but obsolete in most circumstances. As far as my Gladiator goes the only changes I think it needs is the 4wd Auto mode, heated AND cooled seats and maybe the diesel. I will not sell my Gladiator for a Bronco but I did reserve a Bronco. I tried to get a "First Edition" to stable up next to the "Launch Edition" but I was too slow.
Sponsored