Sponsored

Verified: 2020 JT Gladiator Pickup Truck Production Starts January 2019, Order Banks Open in Jan/Feb

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
The problem here is your an enthusiasts and enthusiasts only make up a very small % of buyers. The truck you described above might be great for people with multiple vehicles but would be a terrible daily driver for customers looking to get multi use out of their vehicles, and would only appeal to niche market.

40-45K well loaded your taking about a basic mid-size pickup. No removable top, no removable doors, no solid FA, no locking front and rear diffs, no low range. The ZR2 is high 40s which is the only thing comparable and "if" the Raptor Ranger comes it will be high 40s to low 50s based on how the larger F150 Raptor is priced. Even the Tacoma TRD Pro is mid to upper 40s.

I agree with you on the price increases and quality issues. My 2013 JKU Rubicon is full loaded (only missing remote start) MSRP on it was $44K this include painted hard top, painted fenders, leather, Nav, upgraded sound, cold weather package, tow package. Now the same rig 5 years later is literally $10K more which is INSANE imo. I also think this is why your seeing a general trend among the auto industry in declining sales (Vehicles are getting to expensive vs income growth) and also why your seeing multi purpose vehicles selling better (SUVs, Trucks vs Cars).
2" lift and 37's get my vote!
I think 35s with a 3 inch lift is where am at. Iā€™m guessing itā€™ll be a while till manufacturers catch up, and knowing companies like terraflex they wonā€™t come out with anything till they have something really good. Will see how this ā€œRam inspired suspensionā€ is gonna work.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I'll probably end up with the metal cloak 3.5" game changer and 37"s. I'm all for LCOG, but that break over and departure angle...

Gladiator4Runner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Toyota pickup, 2015 4Runner TRD Pro, 1993 Harley Davidson FXSTS,
I would think with such anticipation, and being FCA,,,,they hit it out of the park with the Hellcat/Demon launches that it got everyone talking and all over the media.

Would be cool here if they partnered with someone like BFG and did the same thing!
BFG is not my first choice of tyres....although it would be a good promotional angle for sure.

CaptStarboard

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brisbanejeepclub.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler
Great info, thanks all!

Iā€™m a Californian thatā€™s been in Australia for the last decade plus. I grew up with a ā€˜73 Bronco that Dad let me learn to 4wd in. Had a ā€˜98 and ā€˜00 Ram quad 4wd, but was working silly hours and afraid to scratch the black paint! Now Iā€™m late 40ā€™s and have a ā€˜10 Jeep Cherokee KK, in black, that Iā€™ll now repolish after stratching it on rough outback and bush tracks. Now my perspective is to get out there and use the. 4wd for what it was intended, get the kids out to nature, tow my 4wd camp trailer into the Outback and damn the paint scratches!

I now realize how large American vehicles are, compared to the rest of the world. Iā€™ve also grown to appreciate tough 4wd like LandCruisers, Defenders, JKā€™s, etc. A common theme for these tough and durable 4wds is still the solid front axel, diesel power, etc. I was planning on a JL, but now Iā€™m very happy to see the direction Jeep is taking on the JT. Solid axels, diesel, coil sprung all around, lockers, decent towing capacity, cargo load, then all the JL perks of a Jeep!

Understand that here in Australia, people take $120K Toyota Land Cruiser and CUT THE REAR QUARTER OFF a brand new vehicle, stretch it a tad and add a flat bed to get a solid axel, coil sprung, 4 door ā€œUteā€ (read ā€œtruckā€) with a rear flat bed on which they add a canopy. Build price quickly nears $170-200k once the lift, tires, and all the outback touring goodies are added! That is reality here where a large American pickup truck can be imported if your willing to spend upwards of $150k! (Google the off-road show ā€œAll 4 Adventure Landcruiser 200 Series buildā€ and check out the YouTube clip to see what they build and modify over here)

So being FCA is also internationally focused, these factors might adjust their worldwide thinking for the Jeep brand. I for one will love if I can get a JT near what people are suggesting it will have specā€™ed. Iā€™ll take a 3.0L diesel in Punkā€™n Orange, add 3ā€ lift and 35ā€ Coopers then rip off the bed and put a touring flatbed aluminum canopy on it and tow my Camprite 4wd trailer into the rough as guts Outback for a hell of an adventure with my family!

Wait until I post what Iā€™ll have to pay in ā€˜20 or ā€˜21 when they actually become available over here! We are still waiting for the JLā€™s to get here!

Cheers all,
jT
(Must be fate, as Iā€™ve signed my emails with JT for the last 20 years! :)

Sponsored

OSO131

First Name
BRAYAND
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEVY 1500 SILVERADO
Occupation
USN
Great info, thanks all!

Iā€™ll take a 3.0L diesel in Punkā€™n Orange, add 3ā€ lift and 35ā€ Coopers then rip off the bed and put a touring flatbed aluminum canopy on it and tow my Camprite 4wd trailer into the rough as guts Outback for a hell of an adventure with my family!

(Must be fate, as Iā€™ve signed my emails with JT for the last 20 years! :)
You, my good sir....... you have exceptional taste. That is all.

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel, 1974 cj6 ,1966 willys pick up 1970 dodge challenger 1974 cj5 project 2012 holden colorado
So being FCA is also internationally focused, these factors might adjust their worldwide thinking for the Jeep brand. I for one will love if I can get a JT near what people are suggesting it will have specā€™ed. Iā€™ll take a 3.0L diesel in Punkā€™n Orange, add 3ā€ lift and 35ā€ Coopers then rip off the bed and put a touring flatbed aluminum canopy on it and tow my Camprite 4wd trailer into the rough as guts Outback for a hell of an adventure with my family!

jeff i hope we will get the 3.0l but in the jl theyve dropped the 2.8l diesel that was in the jk & we will only get a 2.2l diesel for the jl if thats the case for the jt also the pentastar might be the better option lets hope we can have that 3.0l over here it would be a shame to give us such a cool ute without a decent engine
cheers ian

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I really hope they broaden the appeal of this vehicle and maximize the return on the investment in this entirely new chassis and drive train. What I am saying is:

OFFER AN EXTENDED CAB! Not just a crew cab.

Sponsored

dbalogh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2016 Rocky Ridge JKU, 2004 wrangler sport
Hello all u crazy jeepers,
Been a jeeper since 02 and never looked back, also had a couple H2 SUTs But went back to jeep. Right now my wife and I have a TJ JKU and the new JLU Rubicon. I've wanted an AEV Brute for the longest time but could not pay the price tag. Now as we all know the JT is coming. Here is the question and I've read a lot of post already. But, when can we actually look at options and order?? Some say August but when. Thanks

Den

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Great info, thanks all!

Iā€™m a Californian thatā€™s been in Australia for the last decade plus......
I now realize how large American vehicles are, compared to the rest of the world. Iā€™ve also grown to appreciate tough 4wd like LandCruisers, Defenders, JKā€™s, etc. A common theme for these tough and durable 4wds is still the solid front axel, diesel power, etc. I was planning on a JL, but now Iā€™m very happy to see the direction Jeep is taking on the JT. Solid axels, diesel, coil sprung all around, lockers, decent towing capacity, cargo load, then all the JL perks of a Jeep!.......
So being FCA is also internationally focused, these factors might adjust their worldwide thinking for the Jeep brand. I for one will love if I can get a JT near what people are suggesting it will have specā€™ed. Iā€™ll take a 3.0L diesel in Punkā€™n Orange, add 3ā€ lift and 35ā€ Coopers then rip off the bed and put a touring flatbed aluminum canopy on it and tow my Camprite 4wd trailer into the rough as guts Outback for a hell of an adventure with my family!..... :)
I recently had the opportunity to spend a month in the bush of Botswana and was driving a 79 Series Land Cruiser and I came away impressed.
I think FCA is actually going after LC worldwide by making this Gladiator and NOT going after Toyota's Tacoma's or Hilux's as this will clearly be much better than those and leave those in the dust.
This also jives with Marcione's previous comment about the Gladiator being significantly more expensive..

Last edited by a moderator:

2020 SCRAMBLER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Nice Brute. But what is he running 40s? No way he's articulating the rear very much on those stock flares as he has like 2 -3" of clearance.

Looks like he solved for it with tube flares.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
Message from Jay copied below and very relevant to his thread:

"We have some new info to share! First, we've confirmed the JT is a 2020 Model Year. Based on what we know, we estimate that production will begin around January 2019 and Order Banks should open around January/February 2019.

Here are some additional features/options we have confirmed (see the full list in the first post):

Engine/Transmission

• 3.6L V6 with Engine Start Stop
  • 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel Engine with Engine Start-Stop
  • 6-speed Manual Transmission
  • 8-speed 850RE Auto Transmission
Exterior/Misc
  • Removable hard top and soft tops
  • Black 3-Piece Hard Top
  • Body Color 3-Piece Hard Top
  • Premium Black Sunrider Soft Top
  • Sliding Rear Window
  • Tailgate Lock (electric)
  • Tonneau Cover
  • 115V Exterior Power Outlet
  • 22-Gallon Fuel Tank
Interior
  • 400-Watt Power Inverter
  • Backup Camera with Hitch View
  • Lockable Storage Bin (under rear seat)
  • Radios (same as JL)
  • Wireless Bluetooth Speaker
Safety
  • Adaptive Cruise Control w/Stop
  • Blind Spot/Cross Path Detection
  • Full Speed Forward Collision Warning Plus"
Sponsored