First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2016 Indian Springfield
Occupation
Retired and loving it
Who says it doesn’t rain in Southern California…

I‘ve been traversing several deep water crossings in my mall crawler lately. Trying to figure out what’s causing the incredible amounts of water that sheets onto my windshield; to the point that I cannot see anything in front of me. Truck is a rubicon with oem high fenders. I have a steel OEM bumper that I removed the bumper wings off. I am rolling on 35” tires with wheels that have minimal poke. I installed a 1” spacer lift up front. Are any or all of these things contributing to the issues? Anyone rolling in a stock rubicon that has these issues?
I skimmed through this quickly the first time and thought the OP as wondering if his Rubi was causing all the rain. . . 😁🤣😂
Sponsored

OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
Great advice!! But, if you ever find yourself in the situation explained by the OP, the wipers (even on max speed) don't help much.
Yup, can’t keep up. Not even close.

Cansberry

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport
Occupation
Professional Crayon Eater
I've owned a handful of Jeeps, a couple Wranglers, couple XJs, and now my Gladiator. Its just a Jeep thing. The short front overhang doesn't catch it like other vehicles, so it goes straight up and out with the force of wide tires hitting the water at speed. It can be scary, but the faster you go, the faster your windshield clears

Reactions: A 2
OP
OP
A 2

A 2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, 2020 JLU
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Construction
I've owned a handful of Jeeps, a couple Wranglers, couple XJs, and now my Gladiator. Its just a Jeep thing. The short front overhang doesn't catch it like other vehicles, so it goes straight up and out with the force of wide tires hitting the water at speed. It can be scary, but the faster you go, the faster your windshield clears
Ahh, is that what this is for?
Jeep Gladiator Water Fording 7852026D-54A3-439B-93F9-FE318236EE48

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have had the same issue on a few occasions with my stock Mojave. I've noticed it when driving through standing water that is more than 3-4" deep at speeds of around 20-25mph or higher. In my case, I wasn't really doing it on purpose, but I was caught 'off guard' during significant downpours.

I think it is just a combination of the front fender gaps, short overhang, and high ground clearance. It sends water up in front of the vehicle, which you then end up driving through. I'm not sure there is much you can do about it.

There is no doubt that your bigger/wider tires, 1" front lift and lack of bumper wings are making the issue worse. Adding the end caps back on the front bumper may help.
I run into similar when the snow and ice start to melt off the roads, or the county has spread so much brine on things that it makes things really sloppy.
My JT Overland is lifted about 1.5", A/T tires, steep bumper and I drive into the stuff my own tires throw forward. The proof is in the pattern when I get home and park it. The slime it thrown forward all over the bumper, and back at the front of the hood and headlights. And I'm talking when there's NO OTHER VEHICLES in front of me to throw the stuff. It's just me - and I'm driving into things as if I'm behind a truck or something.
There's a reason these have the bumpers and fillers and height and all that they do.

It doesn't happen on my wife's stock JLU Rubicon with plastic bumper so that tells me a little something.... the top of her bumper isn't messy, the headlights and front of hood are cleaner than with my JTO.
The bumper is closer to the fenders, closing off some of that space where the tires throw stuff through.

I've even run into rocks that my JT's own front tires have tossed up in front of me. No other traffic, I'm the only one on the road and I run into a rock that lands on the hood and makes a slight dent.

Yup - the vehicle is doing it to itself due to the front tires throwing things forward only to be run into again.

Jeep Gladiator Water Fording 1679926571856

In this case, I was not following anyone. It was all my truck's tires, and it's even worse without the ends on the bumper. I tried it, and put them back on after a while. That's a big gap for the tires to toss stuff through.

Jeep Gladiator Water Fording bumper-mess-1

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
For the record, I have the bumper/fender gap-fillers still on my Sport S, and I experience the same.
Sponsored