Not open for further replies.

RidinDirty

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
We started to notice the more stuff we added to our gladiator, the slower it got. We knew we had two options, HEMI for 36kish or Supercharger for about 7500 - 8k installed. We decided to go with the Magnuson Supercharger as the company has a really good product for the JL and JT.

Can't remember if you guys re-geared or not?
Sponsored

bsd103

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 Gladiator Sport S 6spd manual, 2013 Abarth 500, 2012 charger SRT
1. You can get to the plugs and coil packs with the Magnuson. It is not a joyous occasion but doable LOL.
2. I use the oil weight called for as the variable valve timing is counting on it. I use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, as data has proven it is highly resistant to heat breakdown. I do Blackstone oil analysis. I am just over 11K miles so third oil change coming. First change at 3K+ had wear metals (to be expected Break in) 2nd at 6k wear metal decreased. Going to push intrvals to 6k as everytime looks normal.
3. FCA tuning is a fair bit different that what people are used to with the LSx stuff and Ford V8 stuff. There are a number of models at work and they do a good job of not letting the engine go to an operational region where detonation is going to happen, if tuned correctly. There are some issues with the closed loop models getting off track, even in factory machines.
4. I have towed 3k to 5k with my JT multiple times this summer, and have had no heat related issues what so ever. 3 to 4 hour pulls doing about 70mph no issue. It stays in 6 th most of the time and likes gas stations, but I have plenty of power on tap and can accelerate through and around traffic.
5. IATs are pretty impressive with this kit. The hottest I have seen so far was 128F and that was me towing for a couple hours on a 95 degree day and I stopped at a rest stop and let it idle for about 15 and then got under way again. Once air was flowing it dropped back to 115.

We will see what longevity is like. Even if the engine does pop, I can build a forged short block with less compression for less than a Hemi swap, and it will make more than enough power for a JT.
Thanks for the info. Good to know the VVT is sensitive to the viscosity - I've heard some claim that it's fine on 30, but I won't trust much of what I read on forums. I'm no stranger to FCA and tuning, but my experience is on older late model hemis (2005ish) and high-boost applications with multiair (more on the FIAT side of things). The latter is one of the most complicated applications to tune you can find, but I'm betting a lot of the same tuning protections come into play that I'm familiar with from the magneti marelli. I wish the MM pcm had the same provisions for calculating ethanol content though - that would be really nice when running nearly 30psi of boost! Have to go to a standalone setup on that platform for that, and controlling the multiair system adds a whole level of complexity (intake valve actuators working on a system that's manipulated more similar to a fuel injector). Really critical to get it right since after a certain throttle position you are more or less controlling the intake valve lift/duration directly with your right foot while the throttle position stays static (even in most part throttle scenarios). Anyhow, the Pennzoil is definitely top tier stuff! In boosted applications I'll also run Ravenol VST.

camodog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
If the hemi gladiator never materializes by the time my warranty expires, I may just have to go this route too.
I do wish the tq was slightly higher with the maggie sc, but those hp seem to be right where need to be.
Keep in mind we are at elevation 10,200’ and 37s and a Canopy Camper attached.
the 3.6 is fine, but we would like to get that passing power back.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Thanks for the info. Good to know the VVT is sensitive to the viscosity - I've heard some claim that it's fine on 30, but I won't trust much of what I read on forums. I'm no stranger to FCA and tuning, but my experience is on older late model hemis (2005ish) and high-boost applications with multiair (more on the FIAT side of things). The latter is one of the most complicated applications to tune you can find, but I'm betting a lot of the same tuning protections come into play that I'm familiar with from the magneti marelli. I wish the MM pcm had the same provisions for calculating ethanol content though - that would be really nice when running nearly 30psi of boost! Have to go to a standalone setup on that platform for that, and controlling the multiair system adds a whole level of complexity (intake valve actuators working on a system that's manipulated more similar to a fuel injector). Really critical to get it right since after a certain throttle position you are more or less controlling the intake valve lift/duration directly with your right foot while the throttle position stays static (even in most part throttle scenarios). Anyhow, the Pennzoil is definitely top tier stuff! In boosted applications I'll also run Ravenol VST.
The control architecture is set up for flex fuel. You would need the sensor and I am not sure about the engine hardware compatibility. But the tables and arrays exist to set it up.

Sponsored

bsd103

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered 2021 Gladiator Sport S 6spd manual, 2013 Abarth 500, 2012 charger SRT
The control architecture is set up for flex fuel. You would need the sensor and I am not sure about the engine hardware compatibility. But the tables and arrays exist to set it up.
According to Livernois, they have flex fuel working without an actual flex fuel sensor. It just requires a few minutes of driving after refueling for the software to identify the ethanol content and then you can beat on it. The system leverages the existing sensors and compares the readings to expected values in tables for each ethanol ratio

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
When you tell her how much a Hemi swap is, she'll love the Magnuson solution 😉

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
1. You can get to the plugs and coil packs with the Magnuson. It is not a joyous occasion but doable LOL.
2. I use the oil weight called for as the variable valve timing is counting on it. I use Pennzoil Platinum Ultra, as data has proven it is highly resistant to heat breakdown. I do Blackstone oil analysis. I am just over 11K miles so third oil change coming. First change at 3K+ had wear metals (to be expected Break in) 2nd at 6k wear metal decreased. Going to push intrvals to 6k as everytime looks normal.
3. FCA tuning is a fair bit different that what people are used to with the LSx stuff and Ford V8 stuff. There are a number of models at work and they do a good job of not letting the engine go to an operational region where detonation is going to happen, if tuned correctly. There are some issues with the closed loop models getting off track, even in factory machines.
4. I have towed 3k to 5k with my JT multiple times this summer, and have had no heat related issues what so ever. 3 to 4 hour pulls doing about 70mph no issue. It stays in 6 th most of the time and likes gas stations, but I have plenty of power on tap and can accelerate through and around traffic.
5. IATs are pretty impressive with this kit. The hottest I have seen so far was 128F and that was me towing for a couple hours on a 95 degree day and I stopped at a rest stop and let it idle for about 15 and then got under way again. Once air was flowing it dropped back to 115.

We will see what longevity is like. Even if the engine does pop, I can build a forged short block with less compression for less than a Hemi swap, and it will make more than enough power for a JT.
That oil is very good at high temps. What I recall reading is that even at 275 degrees it loses little of it's protection ability (less than most others) and is still above others even at that temp.

OP
OP
Wizzard005

Wizzard005

First Name
CnG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Can't remember if you guys re-geared or not?

I guess that would have been helpful to say in the video... Yes we are running 5.13s... Really good power now with our tire / life, weight setup....

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Since we have multiple users of the Magnuson blower here, did you consider any of the other options, like the procharger, hamburger, or even prodigy turbo? Kit price seems similar, so I just wonder what factors drove the decision.

Capt.Grumps1075

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator sport s
Occupation
Towboat Captain
I thought about adding either a turbo or supercharger to mine 🤔 small boost turbo kit just for that extra umph. Now definitely leaning towards supercharger.

Twilightwheelin

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTrubi JL , JK , WJ
We started to notice the more stuff we added to our gladiator, the slower it got. We knew we had two options, HEMI for 36kish or Supercharger for about 7500 - 8k installed. We decided to go with the Magnuson Supercharger as the company has a really good product for the JL and JT.

Current Build Setup:

Tires: BFG KM3 39x13.50x17
Gears: 5.13s
Armor: MotoBilt, skids, rear bumper, Road Armor Front Bumper, DV8 Sliders
Rack: Road Armor Trek
Tent: iKamper Skycamp 2.0
Horrible video, shows nothing of technical value... just an fyi... no technical data, no installation.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.