First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland 2021
Occupation
Cyber Security
I took a look at all the body parts on my Overland.
Most are 100% plastic - side steps, fenders, mud guards - wow.
Seriously don't think I can save any weight there.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will be buying Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Whatever you want...I can supervise!
Not to derail your thread but I would personally love this so manufacturers would give us real ratings and real payload instead of padding the shit out of it. I'm simultaneously annoyed by all the drivers who dump into full steel armor, a rack, RTT, and massive tires then roll around like it's perfectly fine being 1k over GVWR as I am that 4 normal adult men in a Tacoma can eat up 2/3 of the truck's payload.
Totally agree, many products don't have a weight listed. I usually contact the vendor...some reply, but most don't.

OP
OP

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I took a look at all the body parts on my Overland.
Most are 100% plastic - side steps, fenders, mud guards - wow.
Seriously don't think I can save any weight there.
Understand. Since the boss and I will be overlanding full time, I will be removing the rear seat or a portion thereof...Weight savings...since I need a bumper that is heavier duty than plastic, I will mount an aluminum bumper (probably)...weight avoidance vice steel. But, since I am opting for the diesel, I am assuming a BIG weight gain....totally based upon personal prefernce.

YO_Doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94YJ..... '21 JTR!
Poly winch rope is a must. Soft shackles are a weight savings over steel as well.
3/4 or stubby Aluminum front bumper would be a weight saving's but also a bit of a compromise when it comes to protection, simply due to with. The balancing act there.
There is a HUGE difference in the weight of tires of the same size, so pay attention to this as well.
LOD has a set of aluminum slider's that have a step option to them so that could be a good middle ground for you between weight, function and protection. Maybe that is actually a juggling act?
Plan smart with extra water and fuel as they are both heavy but also necessary. Although a good water filter could be a back up or part of the plan here.
Ground tents are lighter than RTT's.
Soft bags over boxes

I'm getting close to writing a check for a diesel JT myself and these are some of the thoughts that I have had on this same issue.

Josephus

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTDR for Dad. 03' TJ daughter. 07'JKLR to son.
Occupation
IT dude, electrician, and a few other things ;)
Vehicle Showcase
How about cutting out all the DEF and extra exhaust garbage between the manifold and muffler... for the states that don’t require that stuff.
On the other end of the spectrum: what does it take to increase the functional limit of payload and towing?
I’m modifying this thing, so “E” rated tires, Might as well install heavier springs from a Power Wagon, Hellwig airbags for towing and Dana 60’s are not out of the question.
The design limits of the EcoDiesel and transmission are around 11,000 lbs in the Ram 1500.
So I just bring all that over to Gladiator, and cut in some extra venting for coolers and radiators...

Sponsored

OP
OP

Mac Attack

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
How about cutting out all the DEF and extra exhaust garbage between the manifold and muffler... for the states that don’t require that stuff.
On the other end of the spectrum: what does it take to increase the functional limit of payload and towing?
I’m modifying this thing, so “E” rated tires, Might as well install heavier springs from a Power Wagon, Hellwig airbags for towing and Dana 60’s are not out of the question.
The design limits of the EcoDiesel and transmission are around 11,000 lbs in the Ram 1500.
So I just bring all that over to Gladiator, and cut in some extra venting for coolers and radiators...
I would never be able to take mine on the road here if I cut the DEF and exhaust out. They are also stringent about the tires not protroding beyond the fenders...fenderless could also save a few pounds. Your question re. functional limit of payload vice "official" limit is a good one. If you took a Rubicon down to bare bones...you should theoretically have a Sport S w/max tow...ergo, a Sport S payload and towing capacity. So, if you do a weight comparison of everything you replaced and went with lighter components...you should end up with a more capable vehicle (one that better meets your needs) with the same or more payload/towing capacities. However, seems like the automotive market has caught up with the hiking market, in that lighter components are more expensive. BTW, have read on this forum that "E" rated tires ride too rough on the Glad and D are the best option.

yolo

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon (Diesel)
Occupation
Software Engineer
I took out my rear seats and weighed them if you find it interesting. 2021 JTR leather rears weigh 99lbs.

flsupraguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Does anyone offer a tune that to cut all that crap out? Please dm me if needed

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
All states REQUIRE "that stuff" by Federal Law. Tampering or Removal of "that stuff" is a felony punishable by $10k+ fine and prison time...... if caught.

Sponsored

99ls1tj

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Occupation
machinist
Aluminum bumpers would be first on my list if you need to switch from plastic.

Personally, I'm searching for a low winch mount to keep as much air flowing to the radiator as possible.

I’m searching for a similar setup. LMK if you find anything interesting. Thx

LordEnzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I’m searching for a similar setup. LMK if you find anything interesting. Thx
Quadratec has a set of aluminum bumpers, but I think they're full width only. Not too bad looking, but to each their own. I know there's 1 or 2 other companies with aluminum bumpers as well, but can't remember who.

Giersz

First Name
Wojciech
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Launch Edition EcoDiesel
I put MP Concepts aluminum front bumper with steel winch plate on my Jeep. Looks like mopar but much lighter.
J134510-JL_alt10?wid=1200&hei=900&op_usm=0.jpg

It is only 41lbs comparing to mopar steel bumper 83lbs.
It is only 41lbs comparing to mopar steel bumper 83lbs.
After a year it looks like new. No rust (it is aluminium).

You can make it stubby and it is winch low mount.
It is one of few aluminium bumpers avaiable with holes for front parking sendors if your vehicle is equipped with front Park Sense.

I can recommend this bumper.
Sponsored