Sponsored

What’s everyone using for oil?

JeepFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubicon & 08 JK Sahara
Yeah, I started using RP 5w30 HM in my JK when it hit 100k before that I was using RP 5w20 - currently at 200k. To me it has worked extremely well. Not sure if its just my brain making it up but to me I can feel/hear a difference when using the RP in my JK. So currently I am planning to use RP 5w30 once the break in is done when I get my JT.

Thank you for your input.

5w30 is better than the recommended 'viscosity", IMO, and it's the opinion of more than one engineer.
I think Royal Purple is a fairly good oil. Better than some, not as good perhaps as some others, but good enough that unless you race or really pull that thing hard it's likely fine.

I'll either keep using Mobil 1, or Renewable Lubricants oil like I use in my cars, or Amsoil. For now I'll keep taking it to the dealer for free oil, but once that's up, I'll use one of the above as I've used those in other things and had very good luck.
If you have had good luck with the RP oil - why not? I'll put it this way - never heard any complaints. I know some car people with performance engines that use it.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I started using RP 5w30 HM in my JK when it hit 100k before that I was using RP 5w20 - currently at 200k. To me it has worked extremely well. Not sure if its just my brain making it up but to me I can feel/hear a difference when using the RP in my JK. So currently I am planning to use RP 5w30 once the break in is done when I get my JT.

Thank you for your input.
Sure hard to argue with 200,000 miles!

I know some oils simply "make a difference" in running - I changed to a different oil (and weight) when my 73 got water in it (heavy rain, UNPREDICTED, a surprise to all local meteorologists, 2 dual quad carbs sticking up through the hood)
I had to reset my idle as after the change the darned thing gained 100 rpm idle speed, smoothed out a bit (hard to tell with the cam it's got haha).

TwistedJeeps

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JLU, 2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Railroader
I run 0w20 Amsoil Signature series.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Any current licensed API spec 0W-20 oil will be fine. Do not get too wrapped up in the dick measuring brand loyalty sword fighting that most oil threads devolve into.

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Any current licensed API spec 0W-20 oil will be fine. Do not get too wrapped up in the dick measuring brand loyalty sword fighting that most oil threads devolve into.
Yeah, because there's absolutely no difference in oils as long as it's been rubber stamped with that API logo.

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Yeah, because there's absolutely no difference in oils as long as it's been rubber stamped with that API logo.
Never said or implied there was no difference. I stand by what I said.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
M1 20,000 extended life 0w20 and m1 extended life filter.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
M1 20,000 extended life 0w20 and m1 extended life filter.
I went with their filters on my classics - I figure a 360 with dual quads and old school engine needed all the filtering it could get. I have used either those, or Bosch in recent years.

Oil_Burner

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD, Explorer, Prius, C6, Diesel Pusher MH
Occupation
Engineer
There's a couple of other threads on this topic......... along with what filters others are using.

I can't buy a good oil and filter and dispose of use for free, so I take advantage of the wave changes for now.

I've been using Mobil 1 full synthetic in my 4.0 engines with fantastic luck.
This might not be common knowledge, but every Autozone I've been to has an oil collection tank in the back of the store where they have inventory not on the shelves. If you carry in your used oil, just ask where they have the tank and they should show you where to dump it for free!

Mobile 1 fully synthetic for me in most vehicles... I use Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 fully synthetic in my diesel vehicles... but I don't know what I'll use in my diesel JT.

Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
This might not be common knowledge, but every Autozone I've been to has an oil collection tank in the back of the store where they have inventory not on the shelves. If you carry in your used oil, just ask where they have the tank and they should show you where to dump it for free!

Mobile 1 fully synthetic for me in most vehicles... I use Shell Rotella T6 15W-40 fully synthetic in my diesel vehicles... but I don't know what I'll use in my diesel JT.
its pretty tough to beat on any turbo vehicle, diesel or not. The amount of testing done on that oil by enthusiasts is extensive. Iirc it has an added molybdenum content to it above standards requirements that acts as a sacrificial element to help prevent wear. I dont recall the exact details. Needless to say its a good oil.

DaleG

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.disinfecting4u.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland, 2019 Infiniti QX50, 2015 Cruisers Yacht 45 Cantius
Occupation
Self Employed
Daily drivers get Mobil-1, the 2) 430 hp Volvo Diesels in the boat get Rotella, the high HP (1.5-2.0+ HP per cubic inch) got/get Brad Penn. all for completely different reasons.

edit: I have used Amsoil on different occasions in lots of air cooled applications (HD and VWs) with good success. In 40 plus years of auto industry I can count tge number of engine failures due strictly to oil choice on one hand. Now I have seen engine failures that better oil “might“ have helped, but it was still typically due to horrible tuning, EXTREME stress (EXTREME TO AN EXTREME) or lack of proper oiling.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Daily drivers get Mobil-1, the 2) 430 hp Volvo Diesels in the boat get Rotella, the high HP (1.5-2.0+ HP per cubic inch) got/get Brad Penn. all for completely different reasons.

edit: I have used Amsoil on different occasions in lots of air cooled applications (HD and VWs) with good success. In 40 plus years of auto industry I can count tge number of engine failures due strictly to oil choice on one hand. Now I have seen engine failures that better oil “might“ have helped, but it was still typically due to horrible tuning, EXTREME stress (EXTREME TO AN EXTREME) or lack of proper oiling.
i have had a really hard time adjusting from running 20w50 and changing every 3k miles to 0w20 and changing every 8k.

the reality seems to be these new thin synthetics have a lot of technology in them and work really really well, for a really long time. Ive had to admit that 0w20 is “on my lawn” and its time for me to get with the times. Lol

iammacey

First Name
Macey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT4, Fiesta ST, Gladiator LE
Oil threads are always amusing...

As for Royal Purple, they make two types of Motor Oil. One is API certified and one is their HPS. The API certified oil is considered warranty compliant costs $35-$40 for a 5 quart bottle. The HPS oil costs roughly $60-$65 for 6 quarts. I found nothing notable about the API certified oil and saw no reason to pay for their HPS oil.

I run Motul in all my vehicles. The Jeep, the GT4, the Fiesta ST, and the bikes.

If you want to understand how your oil is doing, send a sample to Blackstone.
Sponsored