Sponsored

What air filter is everyone using once it needs replaced?

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
Blade 1668, "After 4 K&N filters for my other Jeeps they work but considering the dirt and crud I have found in air tube and throttle body, I'm not sure." Finding anything in the intake tube/throttle body is the only reason I need. At least with the JEEP stock air intake system, all of the insides are clean.
Sponsored

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
There are plenty of independent studies showing that K&N lets in more dirt than just about any other filter.

OP
OP
Willys2Gladiator

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
Just received my WIX air filter today.
It's identical in every way as the stock filter. Color, design, every detail down to letter font. Does Jeep use WIX for their filters?
Was nice to see.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi, 18 JLU Rubi, 2008 JKU Rubi, 07 Vette
Wix or STP until Fram comes out with an Ultra for it. They told me it is coming soon, but they've said that for awhile. Still, I'm perfectly happy with the Wix.

According to my UOA's, the Wix performs just fine, even on a long run that included a trip on the Rimrocker and to Moab.

I think the STP is exactly the same as the Wix. It sure looks like it, anyway, upon close inspection. I have a spare in my cabinet from Amazon. Not sure who makes it, but it also appears to be similar.

Sponsored

hayasa

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
On a related note, what is up with the MOPAR performance intake? I've seen the videos and it I can't exactly see how it is different than the stock upper intake box and tube? Other than the cool graphics, of course. What am I missing? And has anyone actually dynoed it? Because I can't see it making any difference.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On a related note, what is up with the MOPAR performance intake? I've seen the videos and it I can't exactly see how it is different than the stock upper intake box and tube? Other than the cool graphics, of course. What am I missing? And has anyone actually dynoed it? Because I can't see it making any difference.
I believe the air box is the same except, like you said, the lid. The tube to the intake manifold appears to be larger and have fewer complexities. The big piece to it is the hood cutout where it can get high cold air. However, the stock setup, once the Jeep is moving, gets cold air from the front of the grille, in front of the radiator and condenser. So I don't really see a huge advantage there. also, the mopar includes a dry cotton high flow filter. Overall, I doubt it produces even 1 horsepower advantage unless it is at very high RPM.

What I like about the Mopar is the option to run a paper filter in a dusty environment or on an off-road trip, the higher air entry point when the hood vent is open, and the ability to add the snorkel using the same cutout.

I did offer a couple of times to put a CAI to the test, including the Banks, which claims much greater airflow, using my nephew's racing engine company's dyno, and then I'd publish the numbers. If a horsepower/torque increase of any significance appeared, I would buy it outright. If not, I would uninstall and return it. None of the manufacturers have taken me up on this. Of course, Mopar would require me cutting my hood and I would not do that for an experiment. Lol.

I'm sticking with the stock intake. It actually outperformed the S&B on a Gladiator 3.6 a guy tested on YouTube. He was gravely disappointed to see an actual reduction in performance. My friend who is one of the original Pentastar design engineers told me he was not surprised. He said they squeezed every ounce of horsepower and efficiency out of the stock intake. He said there just isn't much at all to be gained.

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
AFE dry flow filter in OE box. Might switch back to paper come summer and our planned trip up to the Yukon and NWT. Not to mention my AEV snorkel should arrive any day.

Was thinking Mopar or Mishimoto for some towing performance. Mishi seems to be tuned well and they document it well. Looks like usable rpm power gains. Maybe.

Sponsored

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
AFE dry flow filter in OE box. Might switch back to paper come summer and our planned trip up to the Yukon and NWT. Not to mention my AEV snorkel should arrive any day.

Was thinking Mopar or Mishimoto for some towing performance. Mishi seems to be tuned well and they document it well. Looks like usable rpm power gains. Maybe.
Why would you switch back to paper? I am also installing an AEV snorkel. I am going to keep my AFE dry flow filter with that snorkel, is there a reason not to?

Courtsm3

First Name
Kayle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Thin Blue Line
Why would you switch back to paper? I am also installing an AEV snorkel. I am going to keep my AFE dry flow filter with that snorkel, is there a reason not to?
For big trips like that with high dust potential, I just want the added protection and ease of cost. Normal driving I would keep my AFE.

RodRecket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AEV JT370
I don't see why anyone would go with a drop in other than OEM or an OEM style replacement. For extra expense you usually just gain an opportunity to introduce more dirt and dust to your engine, not hp.

Last edited:

Sportsbiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Digital Experience Program Manager
This is what I've done...AEV snorkel with aFe Power Dry filter. As I've also installed a precleaner to my snorkel I see no reason to switch to paper as the air is relatively clean when it gets to the filter.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've used Wix or the cheapest I can find on Amazon. I've had a used oil analysis done every change and they've always shown good filtration. I think the most recent is a Car Quest. That last UOA showed excellent filtration after a super dusty trip to Moab. When I replaced the filter before driving home, I tapped it and a TON of dust dropped out. I always swap it out after a dusty off-road trip, or after about 10k to 12k miles. Cheap insurance. And btw, I think the Mopar filter is very good, too. Just expensive usually.

There isn't enough power gain to justify, IMHO, a cloth filter, dry or oiled. The paper filter has LOTS of pleat area, so I don't think it has much restriction to begin with.

Here is the latest UOA. Read the comments and see the data below. One pattern that has emerged is lower insolubles with a Fram Ultra oil filter compared to Mopar and Mobil 1. 0.2 ppm with Fram vs. 0.3 ppm with the others. (Really a negligible difference.) And this last one again went through massively dusty driving in Moab and both air and oil filters did their job exceptionally well. Note the tie for all time low silicon, too. So that Car Quest filter really did the job. I'd almost swear by looking at it that it is the same exact filter as the Mopar.

Jeep Gladiator What air filter is everyone using once it needs replaced? Screenshot_20210605-075219~2
Sponsored