James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport Gladiator
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just downloaded the Jscan app yesterday, but my OBD2 bluetooth dongle doesn't fully work. I can see everything that's going on with my vehicle and clear codes, but I can't make any changes to the settings. The Jscan app website only lists two dongles tested to fully work on my JT Gladiator: the Vgate vLinker MC+ and the OBDLINK MX+. The cheapest Vgate that I have found is $50, and the OBDLINK sells for $140+. I also see a Nexas NexLink dongle that claims to be compatible for $18.99 at https://www.ebay.com/itm/134212062125 . Has anyone had any experience with any of these, and could you recommend?
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I just downloaded the Jscan app yesterday, but my OBD2 bluetooth dongle doesn't fully work. I can see everything that's going on with my vehicle and clear codes, but I can't make any changes to the settings. The Jscan app website only lists two dongles tested to fully work on my JT Gladiator: the Vgate vLinker MC+ and the OBDLINK MX+. The cheapest Vgate that I have found is $50, and the OBDLINK sells for $140+. I also see a Nexas NexLink dongle that claims to be compatible for $18.99 at https://www.ebay.com/itm/134212062125 . Has anyone had any experience with any of these, and could you recommend?
Did you get the security bypass cable that you have to plug in and then plug the BT adapter to the bypass cable? You can't connect a BT adapter to the OBD port and make changes.
I use the MX+

Jeep Gladiator What else can I do with Jscan now? 20210110_111756

You MUST have the black cable with orange ends to use an app to make changes.

Jeep Gladiator What else can I do with Jscan now? 20210110_113706

JTR178

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Occupation
5-0
You can't connect a BT adapter to the OBD port and make changes.
I use the MX+

You MUST have the black cable with orange ends to use an app to make changes.
Unless a Tazer is installed.

jimcasada

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport Gladiator
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that I read that this bypass cable adapter was only needed if you used an Apple phone to connect (I'm connecting to a Samsung S20). Anyway, what is this adaptor looking thingy that came plugged into my OBD receptacle from the factory? I've tried plugging my old cheapy dongle in both using it and directly in, with the same results (I can see everything that's going on, but I can't make any changes to my settings).
Jeep Gladiator What else can I do with Jscan now? 20230326_191417
Jeep Gladiator What else can I do with Jscan now? 20230326_191447
Jeep Gladiator What else can I do with Jscan now? 20230326_191649
Jeep Gladiator What else can I do with Jscan now? Screenshot_20230326_185954_OBD JScan

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rahkmalla

Rahkmalla

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Gobi Manual Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that I read that this bypass cable adapter was only needed if you used an Apple phone to connect (I'm connecting to a Samsung S20). Anyway, what is this adaptor looking thingy that came plugged into my OBD receptacle from the factory? I've tried plugging my old cheapy dongle in both using it and directly in, with the same results (I can see everything that's going on, but I can't make any changes to my settings).
Bypass cable needed regardless of phone. Checking in with note20 and now an s23 ultra.

As for what the other bit is, i'm guessing GPS tracker installed by dealer.

You can't make any changes because you're not plugged into the security gateway

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
EVERYONE needs the bypass cable for jscan and alfa. Everyone should get the extension cable if they plan on plugging in often.

jimcasada

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport Gladiator
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
20230326_191417.jpg
20230326_191447.jpg
20230326_191649.jpg
Screenshot_20230326_185954_OBD JScan.jpg
This is message I get whenever I try to change anything in the Activations section, so I still think that I need a new BT dongle (besides that bypass cable adapter).

jimcasada

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport Gladiator
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
This is message I get whenever I try to change anything in the Activations section, so I still think that I need a new BT dongle (besides that bypass cable adapter).
Ok, I just ordered both the latest version Vgate vLinker MC+ and the bypass cable adapter via AliExress for a total of $54.16 (estimated delivery date: Apr 27, 2023). Thanks all!

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...jq&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251...1G&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Beemer533

First Name
Zion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
Field Engineer
Unfortunately a lot of those BT can be unreliable, at least in my experience. I finally got the MX and stopped having issues.

This was with alphaobd and my Ram originally, not sure if jscan is any different.

Sponsored

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
.... I'd buy Z-Autos extender too. That way you only have to remove the trim piece once.

https://www.zautomotive.com/product/z_sgw_ext/

I plugged in about 30 times last year. Remove steering wheel lower trim, install bypass cable, do stuff, remove bypass cable, reinstall trim. Eventually broke clips.

With the above, you just install it and leave it there. You still have to install the bypass when you want to do things, but the cables are right there stuffed neatly under the trim - no more ganking your hand up to the SGW.
Thank you so much for that link! It's so frustrating hooking up the data link cable when programming every time. This extension will make it so much easier.

ScooterInTX

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
First thing I would do is turn on hood ajar VTA - this means that when someone opens the hood, the alarm sounds. Amazingly this is not enabled by default...
Interesting! How does this work? Only when the doors are locked?

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting! How does this work? Only when the doors are locked?
Yes. Locking doors arms the vehicle alarm of which the good alarm is a part

Kevin_D

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S, 1971 J4000, a bunch of other stuff
Yes. Locking doors arms the vehicle alarm of which the good alarm is a part
Is there a bad alarm?

My ‘21 has this enabled from the factory. And when you open the hood with the alarm set, the horns start honking immediately, and they’re LOUD!!!

Kevin

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a bad alarm?

My ‘21 has this enabled from the factory. And when you open the hood with the alarm set, the horns start honking immediately, and they’re LOUD!!!

Kevin
Damn smell check
Sponsored