Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Eyes and ears wide open. Even the "experts" started somewhere. Few are born with it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Im going to say, some sort of cb or coms that the group is using. Pretty handy to hear whats going on.
OItherwise, mostly just stuff for yourself, something to eat and drink, stay cool etc. Im pretty sure your rubicon wont have any problems. Just have fun and try and learn. Bring someone who can take pics/video for ya. Youll want to look back at all the cool shots.
That's right, some comms would be great. I need to touch base with them and see what they are using...pretty sure its just some sort of walkie-talkie.

And Ill make sure to take some pics, and post a few here!

Painkillerspe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
^I'm looking forward to learning more about the JT...but I'm a bit worried about the armor. Like I said, it is totally stock and from what I understand, the Diesel has a bunch of extra stuff going on underneath.

I think I have a grasp on the basics...slow and controlled: Avoid the pumpkins: put the tires on the taller stuff...easier said than done I'm sure lol
The JTs have some good armor on the underside on the transfer case and gas tank. I'm completely stock as well. I mostly hit on the first cross member, transfer case skid and first half of the gas tank skid. Pumpkins have been fine.

I will be adding a oil pan and transmission skid and rear control arm skids.

You should have an easier time in the Rubicon trim as you have 2 degrees more break over angle than I do.

brucestec

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Gladiator & 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Healthcare Administration
Congratulations! You're going to have a blast. The following information is something we provide to the new drivers of a group we roll with.

Be sure to ask them what type of communication devices they use. These particularly come in handy if you're tackling trails that require a spotter as simply yelling and/or hand signals can get confusing and potentially dangerous depending on the trail(s) you'll be running. We run with relatively cheap ($20-$30) (https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-5...hild=1&keywords=baofeng&qid=1628596864&sr=8-3) radios that you can pick up on Amazon with next day delivery in most cases.

Full tank of DEF
Full Tank of fuel plus another 2 gallons (or more)

You should also consider starting to build your off-road kits. While this is a start, it's far from comprehensive. My personal kits contain quite a bit more "stuff" but you collect as you go and your kits will likely commiserate with the technicality of the trails you're running.

Air down device
Tire Pressure Gauge
Air Pump
Tire plug kit
Extended base for jack if you're lifted.

Tool Kit containing adjustable wrenches, sockets/drivers etc.
Zip Ties (Large-Heavy Duty)
Ratchet Straps (These come in handy and most people have several sitting around in their garage)

Gloves
D-Rings (2)
Tree Saver tow rope or a kinetic rope

First Aid Kit

TONS of water! I cannot tell you how many times I have given people a gallon of water because they forgot to bring any for themselves, their animals or even for overheating purposes. I live in AZ where water is hard to come by and you never have enough when its 110+ F outside :) .
Non-perishable food items.

Know your limits and be willing to take a bypass when you don't feel comfortable completing an obstacle.

One other thing we teach our new people is how to shift into and out of 4HI/4LO and when to use the sway bar disconnect (if equipped). It's always a little more challenging on the trails when under pressure or when the vehicle is at an incline etc. Visit a local parking lot and cycle through the modes while following the steps in the owners manual.

Have fun, good luck, take lots of pictures!

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The JTs have some good armor on the underside on the transfer case and gas tank. I'm completely stock as well. I mostly hit on the first cross member, transfer case skid and first half of the gas tank skid. Pumpkins have been fine.

I will be adding a oil pan and transmission skid and rear control arm skids.

You should have an easier time in the Rubicon trim as you have 2 degrees more break over angle than I do.
I have already started eye-balling additional armor options as well...the list keeps growing and growing!

Sponsored

OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations! You're going to have a blast. The following information is something we provide to the new drivers of a group we roll with.

Be sure to ask them what type of communication devices they use. These particularly come in handy if you're tackling trails that require a spotter as simply yelling and/or hand signals can get confusing and potentially dangerous depending on the trail(s) you'll be running. We run with relatively cheap ($20-$30) (https://www.amazon.com/Baofeng-UV-5...hild=1&keywords=baofeng&qid=1628596864&sr=8-3) radios that you can pick up on Amazon with next day delivery in most cases.

Full tank of DEF
Full Tank of fuel plus another 2 gallons (or more)

You should also consider starting to build your off-road kits. While this is a start, it's far from comprehensive. My personal kits contain quite a bit more "stuff" but you collect as you go and your kits will likely commiserate with the technicality of the trails you're running.

Air down device
Tire Pressure Gauge
Air Pump
Tire plug kit
Extended base for jack if you're lifted.

Tool Kit containing adjustable wrenches, sockets/drivers etc.
Zip Ties (Large-Heavy Duty)
Ratchet Straps (These come in handy and most people have several sitting around in their garage)

Gloves
D-Rings (2)
Tree Saver tow rope or a kinetic rope

First Aid Kit

TONS of water! I cannot tell you how many times I have given people a gallon of water because they forgot to bring any for themselves, their animals or even for overheating purposes. I live in AZ where water is hard to come by and you never have enough when its 110+ F outside :) .
Non-perishable food items.

Know your limits and be willing to take a bypass when you don't feel comfortable completing an obstacle.

One other thing we teach our new people is how to shift into and out of 4HI/4LO and when to use the sway bar disconnect (if equipped). It's always a little more challenging on the trails when under pressure or when the vehicle is at an incline etc. Visit a local parking lot and cycle through the modes while following the steps in the owners manual.

Have fun, good luck, take lots of pictures!
Thanks for this!

I enjoy putting together a kit, and have already started looking at getting one started. I'll be running out here within the next few days to grab some of these items you have!

The bottom portion is spot on. I am a little concerned with my knowledge in regards to when to do what...but my group is pretty comfortable with each other so hopefully it's low pressure. The technical know how and muscle memory is something I have been messing around with. The next thing I need to practice is the "manual" mode crawl.

Do you have any concerns when you are out that are diesel specific on the underside? Eco components that I should take into consideration that my buddies may not be thinking about, stuff like that?

brucestec

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
revkit.com
Vehicle(s)
Diesel Gladiator & 392 Wrangler
Occupation
Healthcare Administration
Thanks for this!

I enjoy putting together a kit, and have already started looking at getting one started. I'll be running out here within the next few days to grab some of these items you have!

The bottom portion is spot on. I am a little concerned with my knowledge in regards to when to do what...but my group is pretty comfortable with each other so hopefully it's low pressure. The technical know how and muscle memory is something I have been messing around with. The next thing I need to practice is the "manual" mode crawl.

Do you have any concerns when you are out that are diesel specific on the underside? Eco components that I should take into consideration that my buddies may not be thinking about, stuff like that?
Low pressure groups are by far the best way to learn! Based on the trails you mentioned in your OP, it sounds as though you're not going to be tackling anything too complex. From out of the box, these Jeeps can handle quite a bit and based on the description you gave you'll likely spend a majority of your time in 4Hi and disconnected swayer (if equipped). 4LO is going to allow you to work your way through more intense situations. Ask a more experienced driver to call out over the comms when it might be a good idea to switch into 4LO &/or use your lockers (if equipped). We do this for folks who are less experienced and it works out really well. It's a great way to learn the vehicle and hone in your skills as a driver.

I should have mentioned that shifting into 4 Lo the first few times MIGHT be difficult which is why spending time in a parking lot is a good idea. The transfer cases can be extremely tight shifting both into and out of gear but cycling through it a few times tends to loosen it up and makes it easier. With new Jeeps, I try to find a large open parking lot or backroad with limited amounts of traffic so I can switch in/out of 4Low. The worst time to try and break them in is the first time you need it on a trail.

I suggest to people that sliders are always great "insurance" especially on vehicles with a longer wheel base. Be sure to purchase a quality product that will be able to handle taking some abuse. The Gladiators have decent belly skids and other undercarriage support especially if you pick your lines well/have a spotter for harder obstacles. Spending $2k+ on a new set of skids at this point isn't something you'll likely want to do but the option is always out there.

Last edited:

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Just did 3 days at RC Last weekend. Never been to AOAA.

Put it in 4lo and keep it there all day. Your are never going more than 25 mph on the trail. SLOW IS GOOD.

Keep sway bars disconnected all day.

Learn to use the Select Speed Control.

Use the select tire fill feature for airing down and back up.

Have fun!

Last edited:

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Download maprika app I think they have the AOAA offline map.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
I hit every stock skid plate plus the rear diff and hitch skid plates I bought. Frame side lower control arm mounts took a beating, rusty's skid plates next on my list.

Sponsored

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
Jeep Gladiator What I need to know; First time out w/ my JTRD 20210809_185457

Body Armor hitch skid.
Jeep Gladiator What I need to know; First time out w/ my JTRD 20210809_185624

Rancho rear diff skid

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Highway Engineer
If your group is interested take the off road consulting 101 class, well worth it and they charge $100 for each member of the group vs $180 non group individual rate.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AjMac

AjMac

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Just did 3 days at RC Last weekend. Never been to AOAA.

Put it in 4lo and keep it there all day. Your are never going more than 25 mph on the trail. SLOW IS GOOD.

Keep sway bars disconnected all day.

Learn to use the Select Speed Control.

Use the select tire fill feature for airing down and back up.

Have fun!
I spoke with a few of my buddies today and started a big debate about it.. One of them stays in 4 Lo and the other goes in and out lol.

Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored