Sponsored

What is an unpopular opinion you have in the Jeep community?

onewhippedpuppy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Aerospace
This brings up my unpopular Jeep opinion: Unless you're actually towing, manual is the wrong transmission for any wrangler or gladiator. Frankly it's the wrong transmission for a lot of vehicles sold today. The fact that the car with the highest percentage of manual sales is the Miata which has a wide double digit lead over any mustang, camaro, or challenger, and the corvette, supra, and 911 aren't even sold manual anymore should be considered a failure to teach our children the joys of driving.
You take it back!
Sponsored

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Florida Jeeps mostly JL/JK some JT's, You bought a Jeep for the OPEN air lifestyle, roll down the windows, once in a while, take the T tops off once in a while, take the whole top off once in awhile, the people just drive around with it all closed up like a normal car!!!
Bro, the sun is unbearable here. Even with a sunshade in place, the humidity and bugs kill whatever joy you might get from the "open air" experience. That and a densely populated metro area in Florida is the last place I want to leave any vehicle, much less a $60+ Jeep open for idiots to rummage around in.

I have every intention of taking more advantage of the removeable components when we move back up north. But right now, they stay in place. Florida sucks.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
This brings up my unpopular Jeep opinion: Unless you're actually towing, manual is the wrong transmission for any wrangler or gladiator. Frankly it's the wrong transmission for a lot of vehicles sold today. The fact that the car with the highest percentage of manual sales is the Miata which has a wide double digit lead over any mustang, camaro, or challenger, and the corvette, supra, and 911 aren't even sold manual anymore should be considered a failure to teach our children the joys of driving.
yes... Mine is - you cannot rock crawl as well with a manual transmission JT. Not true. I have completed many rock gardens with my manual transmission JTR. In fact, with the right gearing (ie. I am running 5:13s with the Rubicon transfer case), granny gear can take you through those rock gardens almost without using the clutch at all. I have also seen the momentum that the manual gives you in granny gear do better than an automatic that is constantly stopping and starting over an obstacle.

steve68

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator, yes
Occupation
Rocket Builder,
Bro, the sun is unbearable here. Even with a sunshade in place, the humidity and bugs kill whatever joy you might get from the "open air" experience. That and a densely populated metro area in Florida is the last place I want to leave any vehicle, much less a $60+ Jeep open for idiots to rummage around in.

I have every intention of taking more advantage of the removeable components when we move back up north. But right now, they stay in place. Florida sucks.
Your telling me!!! I’ve lived here since I was 7 years old! We didn’t have air conditioning till I was 10/12!!! And all these assholes want to here is build more houses and put down more concrete!! It’s so hot now a days here it’s absolutely terrible! I have friends that close up by 2pm cause there friggin dead from the heat!!

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum

You must be close to Pine Hills =)

Sponsored

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
Your telling me!!! I’ve lived here since I was 7 years old! We didn’t have air conditioning till I was 10/12!!! And all these assholes want to here is build more houses and put down more concrete!! It’s so hot now a days here it’s absolutely terrible! I have friends that close up by 2pm cause there friggin dead from the heat!!
I was born in Winter Haven and we never had a/c until I was almost old enough to move out.. Box fans and sweat.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Gee thanks for clarifying I think I have been around long enough to know what I know and you are absolutely entitled to like what you like Good on you
We're saying the same thing, just using different terminology. We're all saying there is contrast provided by the black flares on classic and new jeeps.

I think that the black flares give it a classic look, like on TJs/YJs/late CJs, but if you really go back, I have to admit early CJs and Military jeeps didn't have black flares.

Last edited:

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
United States Marine Corps

Can confirm! Just spent some time in Cape Coral, F that place. It's so hot you immediately get pissed off when you walk outside. Reminded me of Okinawa.

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
Phew, that's good news. I can still like 911s. Though why the Targa is only available as a 4 is beyond me. A manual Targa 2S would be the coolest combo they could make.

As for Supras, Toyata.com still only offers ATs on supras. Is the manual coming to 2023MYs?
Yes, for '23. Just announced a few months back. It's on the website.
Don't want to keep distracting from this thread, but here's the link. Scroll down to look at the pictures, and you'll see 3 beautiful pedals. It says 'shift into the ultimate thrill'

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/grsupra-a91-mt/

WetWilly

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Willys
Occupation
Retired bum
Can confirm! Just spent some time in Cape Coral, F that place. It's so hot you immediately get pissed off when you walk outside. Reminded me of Okinawa.
Bears hibernate in the winter, true native Floridians hibernate in the summer in the a/c cave

Sponsored

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
This is gonna ruffle some feathers but I'm going to say it anyway since I feel this thread is helping some learn to deal with their feelings lol. "Blacked out" jeeps or any vehicle for that matter are just played out and tasteless. No one thinks you're Batman or any form of security.

CFLgladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
This is gonna ruffle some feathers but I'm going to say it anyway since I feel this thread is helping some learn to deal with their feelings lol. "Blacked out" jeeps or any vehicle for that matter are just played out and tasteless. No one thinks you're Batman or any form of security.
But, but....
I'm Batman.

All joking aside since this is unpopular opinion thread. I actually wanted a white/gator/gobi instead of black. And I special ordered mine. But gobi and gator weren't available and while I think white looks great with a painted hard top and fenders, I think it looks like horrible with doors off or especially a soft top.
Most of the colors look bad with the soft top to me actually. And not because of man bun, but because of the goofy hump that raises mid way back. At least on a black gladiator you don't notice it for some reason.
Since I wanted the full jeep experience that meant black with dual top group. Had to have the hardtop for summer here since the south and southwest use the colder months for top off season.

cafecito

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Corporate Tool
Man don't even get me started. We lived in this quiet little community in Kissimmee for 4+ years. There was nothing but an empty field behind us. A year after we moved in, of course, HEY LET'S BUILD SOME "LUXURY APARTMENTS" AND RUIN EVERYTHING! And of course, nothing but rowdy 20-somethings rent them, so our nice quiet backyard turned into loud parties with shit music every weekend.

Last year we sold that house and moved up to a small development between Apopka and Winter Garden. Once you get off 429, it's just a bunch of small local roads with trees, forests, and farms all around. It was nice, at first. But for the past few months... 🤦‍♂️

JUST KIDDING! KNOCK ALL THE TREES DOWN AND BUILD MORE LUXURY APARTMENTS!!! 🖕🖕🖕

I am beginning to wonder if there is a way to mount forward-facing spikes on my bumper in the event that I ever see a real estate developer crossing the street.

Ball_Ze

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR, 17 AR4C, 19 CT6-V
Occupation
engineer
I think ducking jeeps is incredibly stupid.

I immediately lose all respect for someone that changes to a "grumper" / "angry" grille.

The whole "jeep thing" or "Jeep girl" thing.

Christ. I'm a grumpy old man. But hey, you asked.

MaysvilleStig

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
But, but....
I'm Batman.

All joking aside since this is unpopular opinion thread. I actually wanted a white/gator/gobi instead of black. And I special ordered mine. But gobi and gator weren't available and while I think white looks great with a painted hard top and fenders, I think it looks like horrible with doors off or especially a soft top.
Most of the colors look bad with the soft top to me actually. And not because of man bun, but because of the goofy hump that raises mid way back. At least on a black gladiator you don't notice it for some reason.
Since I wanted the full jeep experience that meant black with dual top group. Had to have the hardtop for summer here since the south and southwest use the colder months for top off season.
Man that's true. I took the doors and top off mine one day, it just looked like it hadn't made it off the assembly line yet, looked terrible. And I really wish I had the painted top.
Sponsored