Sponsored

What is the best option for hauling skis?

Dartboy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Miata, 21 MaxTow
Occupation
Facilities Maintenance
We do put them in diagonally :LOL:

My knees are much happier keeping these short curved skiis pointed in the same direction than my old 200's
Sponsored

SLC Rubicon

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD
My skis barely fit diagonally and have to also go high low. I'm thinking the Ace bed extender and knowing that ends won't be covered with tonneau is where I am going to land.

l8rg8r

First Name
pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep mojave
Occupation
retired
It is, while BAK doesn't advertise or show pictures of this on their website, the revolver X4 cover has built in tracks along the sides.
I had one of those revolver covers. It was the worst cover I’ve ever had due to the weather we get here in Montana. It snows then melts into the revolving locking mechanism the full length of the cover. You then have to get out a heat gun and thaw it out so you can get the cover to unlock and roll. I tried all sorts of snow off sprays, silicone, wd40 etc. nothing worked at keeping it from freezing up. Beware!

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I had one of those revolver covers. It was the worst cover I’ve ever had due to the weather we get here in Montana. It snows then melts into the revolving locking mechanism the full length of the cover. You then have to get out a heat gun and thaw it out so you can get the cover to unlock and roll. I tried all sorts of snow off sprays, silicone, wd40 etc. nothing worked at keeping it from freezing up. Beware!
Interesting, I hadn’t thought of that being an issue.
I have an x4 I’ve been happy with, I mounted Yakima skyline pads (I believe #1 t-slot nuts) and run ski carriers over the tonneau cover.
That’s worked well for me, but it is a hassle to pull stuff from the back of the bed without being able to roll the tonneau back.
Probably would’ve been better to get a retractable cover, even though that eats up some bed space at the front.
Jeep Gladiator What is the best option for hauling skis? 4A437088-5F6E-45CD-B470-68521A2BF77A

Sponsored

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Bringing this back up to the top as I just got new skis...

I'm thinking a good option would be the taller billie bars. This gives several options - could side mount on the molle panels, or mount on top and just let the tips hang past the tail gate. Mine are only 171 cm (5'7") so the hang over wouldn't be that bad. The taller billie bars also let the soft tonneau roll up.

Any reason why this isn't a good setup? Ski hangover an issue? I would imagine when you add the width of the tailgate and bumper I'm probably not really that extended anyway. (Side mounting would let you move them forward.)

delynn10

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Seems like a good option to me. From what I can tell I like the quality of the billie bars a little better and the molle panels are a nice touch and another option, but ended up ordering the KB voodoo bars because they should work better with my tonneau cover. I also liked the idea of the Marquette Mounts.

Trailman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Seems like a good option to me. From what I can tell I like the quality of the billie bars a little better and the molle panels are a nice touch and another option, but ended up ordering the KB voodoo bars because they should work better with my tonneau cover. I also liked the idea of the Marquette Mounts.
Yeah I actually like the finish of the KB voodoo more but I like the molle panel option. The slightly taller ones let the factory tonneau roll up pretty easily (from what I can tell).

Have you used yours with skis yet? Is there any annoyance in ski hangover past the bumper?

delynn10

First Name
Elizabeth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Not yet. Just ordered the bars a couple of days ago and hope to have them installed this weekend or early next week. Need to pick out a ski rack and a couple of other accessories next...

Did get a $20 military discount from Voodoo.

I don't think the hang over will be too bad. I have a step on the back of the hitch, so they shouldn't extend beyond that.

Sponsored

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2021 BMW M2, 2012 Monster 1100evo
Occupation
Business Intelligence
I'm just going to put mine in the bed of the truck, like I've done with every other truck I owned. They'll fit diagonally.

pgh gladiator

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
@c4nuck any chance you can give more details here…this is exactly what I have been looking for…what bars are those and what ski cushions are those. I want to make sure I buy the bars that wrok on the x4s track.

Having the skis in the bed diagonally has made it difficult packing coolers and luggage for our weekend trips.

TIA

I tried the roof option, but way too noisy. Not so much wind noise, but the bar spanning the "floating" freedom panels would make the seals squeak nonstop.

20210125_185213.jpg

Fits my 184 long skiis without issue.

Old/noisy setup for reference:
20201224_124548 (1).jpg

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the roof option, but way too noisy. Not so much wind noise, but the bar spanning the "floating" freedom panels would make the seals squeak nonstop.

20210125_185213.jpg

Fits my 184 long skiis without issue.

Old/noisy setup for reference:
20201224_124548 (1).jpg
Remember back when you weren’t cool unless you had at least 200’s? I’m old.

USMC-SSGT

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Aluminum tubing transport
While for my wife’s wrangler- we bought a new product called “Chuck bucket.”

basically a box to hold all your stuff, and not just skis.

Fouts

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Truck Driver
While for my wife’s wrangler- we bought a new product called “Chuck bucket.”

basically a box to hold all your stuff, and not just skis.
Way back when I was in college we had something called an up-chuck bucket, but I suppose that is different.
Sponsored