Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Fair difference between 2 and 5 or more. One is more than double the other. Would you say you had a couple of kids while you really have 6?
I'd hate to see estimates you might do........ yeah, just need a couple of new hinges and then end up paying for hinges for all 4 doors.
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Fair difference between 2 and 5 or more. One is more than double the other. Would you say you had a couple of kids while you really have 6?
I'd hate to see estimates you might do........ yeah, just need a couple of new hinges and then end up paying for hinges for all 4 doors.
My point wasn’t to argue over it and be a pedantic shit over that detail. It was to point out older jeeps didn’t have this problem because of it.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
HAHA - detail. You'd scream if it was Monday and you were told the steering gear for your JT was coming in "a couple of days" and it turned into a week from Tuesday. You would expect it on Wednesday. Couple is two.

And our point is that Jeeps since 2016 don't have a problem either, other than those that go to shops or complain about it here.
Maybe someone knows how many WK2, JT and other FCA products were sold with the Gen 2 3.6 since about 2016. Hundreds of thousands? More? If it were even 800,000 according to you almost half a million would be having detonation issues.

How many forum members are there in total who own a JT or anything like a WK2 made since 2016?
Of those JT or WK2 owners who have vehicles made 2016 or later, how many have a ping issue?
I don't. My wife doesn't - and didn't - with either of her two.
You suggest you are correct because vehicle owners don't know what a ping is or wouldn't detect it if it smacked them in the head.
You seem to be the only one insisting it's most or even a percentage over 40 that ping due to detonation.
Since you are the outlier here, perhaps it's you who doesn't recognize the difference between a ping and a baffle rattle......... There's a whole lot of smart Jeep owners here - some pretty young with great hearing, and not a small number of women Jeep owners who have superior hearing to men, especially in the frequencies associated with ping. If as you claim people can't or don't hear it, why aren't all the lady Jeep owners here talking of their noisy Jeep engines? Women hear far better than men in those frequencies- that's pretty well known (especially by the women - or the husbands who get told they aren't listening)

Dan in Pasadena

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
The ol..."its a large company and they...KNOW" argument. Meanwhile 400 TSB's later....

Its a stupid argument. They ping, its well known. I bet yours pings too.
1. A lot might not.
2. Most people don't know WTF they're listen for. Even when they think they do.
I know exactly what to listen for, when it's most likely to happen and more.

Today it's easy to run 11:1 with no detonation and on normal 87 octane fuel.
Try saying your point in just a few sentences.
Listen up guys, we're in the presence of genius. My argument was "stupid" and HE knows it pings but I drive it and I don't know. Besides, Zach knows "WTF" to listen for. ONLY Zach knows they ping and apparently only he knows how to hear it.

I sit here all enthralled!

Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Listen up guys, we're in the presence of genius. My argument was "stupid" and HE knows it pings but I drive it and I don't know. Besides, Zach knows "WTF" to listen for. ONLY Zach knows they ping and apparently only he knows how to hear it.

I sit here all enthralled!
Do you need a tissue?

WK2JT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTC
Vehicle Showcase
Oh lord… have you see the arguments in the diesel threads… nobody can agree on squat around here.

For the record, I love all things that burn dinosaurs.

JoseQ_80

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport 80th Anniversary Bright White
Occupation
Highway Engineer
I have not read anything in this thread, but I just put 93 octane in by mistake and I immediately noticed the difference with the vibration felt at idle thru the steering wheel, with 93 it was gone completely, with 87 I notice it. I'll try 91, then back to 87 and 93 to see if it's just a placebo effect.

I use 93 on my HD/Buell bikes so it was just muscle memory, I hit the 93 button and forgot I was on the JT.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Idle doesn't even have much for timing so that would be totally WEIRD, unlikely...........
Advancing of timing is to compensate for the time it takes to burn a charge, and the speed of the engine. High RPM means less time to fully burn so you light the fuse sooner, at idle, though, there's plenty of time for a full burn so you back timing off, light it later so you still get peak combustion pressures at the right crankshaft angle.

I know what you mean about the "muscle memory" as I had to watch myself when I had three cars and two Jeeps (3 if you count my wife's WK2). One needed the high octane stuff, one I had just started to run non-ethanol as I was experimenting on the impact of it on a 40 year old rubber fuel filler neck, and the others ran whatever - usually 87 octane 10%. There were times I had to think - ok, I'm in this car so it's that button.
My Silverado took anything I felt like putting in it - even 85%.

Just wait until there are more electrics and more charging stations - will they agree on the inputs there or will it be the Apple vs. Android wars but with cars?

Sponsored

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
Idle doesn't even have much for timing so that would be totally WEIRD, unlikely...........
Advancing of timing is to compensate for the time it takes to burn a charge, and the speed of the engine. High RPM means less time to fully burn so you light the fuse sooner, at idle, though, there's plenty of time for a full burn so you back timing off, light it later so you still get peak combustion pressures at the right crankshaft angle.

I know what you mean about the "muscle memory" as I had to watch myself when I had three cars and two Jeeps (3 if you count my wife's WK2). One needed the high octane stuff, one I had just started to run non-ethanol as I was experimenting on the impact of it on a 40 year old rubber fuel filler neck, and the others ran whatever - usually 87 octane 10%. There were times I had to think - ok, I'm in this car so it's that button.
My Silverado took anything I felt like putting in it - even 85%.

Just wait until there are more electrics and more charging stations - will they agree on the inputs there or will it be the Apple vs. Android wars but with cars?
That muscle memory is a killer. I almost put 85 in my JT in Utah on Thursday

jeepstertim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, Audi SQ5, Audi A3, Smart Roadster Brabus,
Build Thread
Link
Being UK based, the lowest octane fuel I can run through it is 95RON, with 97 (and in some cases 99RON) as the upper limit, 87 just isn't an issue. In every petrol or diesel car and bike I have owned (perhaps less the classics) they have run smoother and more economically on the higher octane/ cetane rating. whether that small increase in MPG is worth the cost, I haven't ever worked out.

I also have the privilege of paying $7.20 per gallon!

By 'Pinging' I assume you are referring to pre-ignition or 'pinking' as we call it?

arosen1997

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
LAV Turret Technician
That muscle memory is a killer. I almost put 85 in my JT in Utah on Thursday
For the record I just finished towing 6100 lbs 2200 miles with the JT from the east cost to Utah taking the 11000' peak I70 route and the biggest concern I had that whole time was Temps. All on 87, no pinging, and believe me I was listening for ANYTHING that could've been remotely construed as out of place climbing that grade. Also a mechanic for a day job since apparently that makes you smarter than the hundreds of engineers that design these things (as much as we want it to be true, guys it just ain't).

Bamaprof

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Gladiator
I’m curious to what all you guys run? I have always ran 87 since I bought it. However with the gas pipeline issue I was only able to find 93 the other day and it seemed like the truck liked it better. I don’t know if it was in my head or not but truck seemed to run smother and had more pick up. Do you guys ever run anything over 87
I ran a tank of 93 non-ethanol and got 17.9 with a 3.6 and 35s. The next tank was 87 ethanol and got 18.3. Tried to drive exactly the same. 2021 with under 2,500 miles.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Being UK based, the lowest octane fuel I can run through it is 95RON, with 97 (and in some cases 99RON) as the upper limit, 87 just isn't an issue. In every petrol or diesel car and bike I have owned (perhaps less the classics) they have run smoother and more economically on the higher octane/ cetane rating. whether that small increase in MPG is worth the cost, I haven't ever worked out.

I also have the privilege of paying $7.20 per gallon!

By 'Pinging' I assume you are referring to pre-ignition or 'pinking' as we call it?
Pre-ignition is the fuel igniting before the spark .
Most of the time the "rattle" or pinging heard under load at low RPM or lugging is DETONATION.
Big difference in cause, the latter being more destructive.

Jeep Gladiator What octane gas do you guys run piston-5a
Sponsored