What to buy Mojave or Rubicon?

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Honestly OP, get whichever one you want the most. This will make me pretty unpopular, unless you are trying to climb vertical faces that are several feet high lockers are not a requirement. Lockers just make things easier. People have been off-roading for century without any lockers at all.
Sponsored

Mark Doiron

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JKU X, 1979 Tenth Anniversary Trans Am, 2020 Gobi Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I... Was planning on doing 37inch tires, and a 3 inch lift. ... I’m not interested in hard core rock climbing but I want a capable truck that can go off the beaten path and not worry at all if my truck will make it. ...
Why are you doing 37" tires? I've been all over North America on 35s (and much with a friend who only runs 33s), and have never felt I needed any larger tires. I'd suggest you reconsider the benefits of 37s (and that lift) vs your usage case to decide if that's what you really need.

As for lockers, a rear locker is desirable; a front is a PITA because it is difficult to steer, and I would say downright unsafe if going very fast. I put a front locker in my 2007 Wrangler X (same as a Sport in today's vernacular) and can count on one hand the number of times I've used it. I doubt there was any time I couldn't have just opted for an easier line (but what's the fun in that?). This video slideshow will give you an idea of the kinds of places and terrain I've traveled (there are more complete videos there, but they feature a wide variety of vehicles).

As for the missing electronic front swaybar disconnect: A minor nuisance. There are quick disconnects that make that task pretty easy, if greasy. Which is exactly what I have on my Wrangler. They work just fine. But I will say, when it's just a switch instead of crawling under the Jeep and getting greasy, you're more likely to take advantage of it. It really should be part of the Mojave package, but they're thinking of people at speed when you would want that swaybar engaged despite the washboard road. I guess having it reengage at a particular speed didn't satisfy the bean-counters who told them to leave it out.

If you're not rock crawling and you want 4WD-low, the Mojave has the better transfer case. That Rubi transfer case was my major negative in ultimately deciding (anyway) to buy the Rubi Gladiator. I've had too many times traveling with people driving Rubis that we had to stop traveling because we were going too fast for their transfer case. They'd shift back to 4WD-high, then later need to stop to shift back to low because they needed that during a steep descent (rather than ride the brakes down the hill). I will say that the Gladiator, with its taller 5th and 6th gears (manual transmission), does work a bit better, but still not as well as my Wrangler X. Of course, if your vehicle choice is an automatic transmission, it will be transparent to you except if you hit that top speed limit.

Here is the best article I've seen that clearly addresses the differences between the Rubicon and Mojave vehicles ...

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-h...qzo1FP4MA7qJL5msk4IOXySrIbF_sa8PENZM82OmxKP9I

Etoimos

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventuresofetoimos.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR , 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I can also add that I've been using quick disconnects on my 2012 JKUR ever since the electronic disconnect started acting up years ago. It is more of a pain to use them since I have to get off my butt instead of just pushing the button. I can also say you actually get more articulation with quick disconnects than with the electronic one.

Another good options (we'll need to verify that their JT kit will work with the Mojave setup) is the Antirock Sway Bar system.

Oh, and I'm running 37s on my JKUR now and will only be going to 35s on the JT. As Mark said above, 37s are not really needed for what you say you will be doing. Now, they do look cool and that is a valid reason to get them if that is what you want!

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition, 2017 Dodge Durango, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
I'm in the market for a JT right now, and really torn by this announcement. I was hoping to take advantage of President's Day to get a deal on a JTR on a dealer lot somewhere, but the reality is the Mojave is much more in line with how I would use it. (Family camping, overland, and desert fast stuff is much more attractive to me than serious rock crawling.) I'm now caught in the idea of waiting for these to be available to order and HOPE that someone will be willing to deal, or just going for a JTR that is available now and getting a screaming price on it as dealers are trying to move inventory. I don't have a need for the front locker as it's not the type of terrain I'd typically see, and as mentioned sway bar disconnects aren't overly difficult to deal with. I'm reluctant to go Overland because of the lack of rear locker and don't want to deal with regearing either. Would love to hear opinions.

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Excusing away the absence of features by saying that there are other adequate substitutes does nothing more than illustrate the value of the feature itself.

Water crossings with steep or muddy banks are an excellent example of a time a front locker is comforting at the very minimum. More so if traveling solo, more so yet if winch anchors are not readily available. Are they requisite? Absolutely not, but diminishing their value is silly.

At the end of the day, I bet the Mojave is the same price as the Rubicon, modifying the suspension will nullify the majority of its perceived value, and you will have sacrificed capability at both ends of the spectrum.

Mojave is Jeeps response to a very specific application, and yes of course it maintains all of the capabilities of the basic Jeep models.

If you are going to lift it, you are piling up money and burning it for a rear locker and cosmetics.

Sponsored

dguy535

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Granite Crystal Launch Edition, 2017 Dodge Durango, 2001 Porsche Boxster
Occupation
Customer Service Manager
My reality is I don't want to modify the suspension. I don't see myself doing serious rock crawling and really don't see the need for sway bar disconnects. Fire Roads, back country exploring, and daily driving are what I will likely see myself using the truck for. The improved clearance on the front would likely accommodate 35" tires easily which would give me all that I would need. If I'm reading the ordering guide posted earlier correctly, I'm guessing that the Mojave will be priced below the Rubicon. I can't picture Jeep's marketing and business development folks willing to forego the appeal of the Rubicon brand as their top of the line. The difference may only be marginal, but could be the difference for me, even with the possibility of a great deal on a Rubicon. That said, the Rubicon would likely hold value better and have more long term capability should I decide to lift it and build a rig that could climb a wall.

OP
OP
calicorks

calicorks

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss 302
My reality is I don't want to modify the suspension. I don't see myself doing serious rock crawling and really don't see the need for sway bar disconnects. Fire Roads, back country exploring, and daily driving are what I will likely see myself using the truck for. The improved clearance on the front would likely accommodate 35" tires easily which would give me all that I would need. If I'm reading the ordering guide posted earlier correctly, I'm guessing that the Mojave will be priced below the Rubicon. I can't picture Jeep's marketing and business development folks willing to forego the appeal of the Rubicon brand as their top of the line. The difference may only be marginal, but could be the difference for me, even with the possibility of a great deal on a Rubicon. That said, the Rubicon would likely hold value better and have more long term capability should I decide to lift it and build a rig that could climb a wall.
I’m in the same boat as you just not ready to buy yet. The Mojave looks very appealing and they said should be out by Q2 of this year. Might not be a long wait to see what the price is. I would think equal to or less than a JTR. I am also wondering about resell as well. For now I know the Rubicon dose what I want to a point. I wish Jeep would not make us wait for more details but I guess that’s how things go.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Chevy and a Caddy
$100 says Brandon Girmus has never driven off road other than some piles of dirt they hauled into the corporate yard and set up a course for executives to experience their product on.

It would take a full on idiot to tell you much less believe, that a vehicle without a front locker, a vehicle without a dis-connectable sway bar and a vehicle with 30% less gear reduction will go the same places an otherwise identical vehicle will go.

He is either being misquoted or he's completely unaware of real world use of his products.

ETA: and all of that is before you consider the compromises found in the Gladiators wheel base.
I'm not saying you're wrong but FWIW he's an engineer who's been rebuilding Jeeps since he was a teenager

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
In this article, Jeep Gladiator Brand Manager Brandon Girmus said the Mojave is just as trail capable as the Rubicon:
"You'd want a Desert Rated Jeep for the desert, but this can do phenomenally well on a trail too. It can still do the Rubicon [Trail], it can still manage 30 inches of water fording. It's gonna be very off-road capable in pretty much any trail situation."
What else is he gonna say? This is marketing speak. These words are NOT the same as saying "the Mojave is just as trail capable as the Rubicon".

Sponsored

DAGORED

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3500 Ram
I know I want a Gladiator, the hard part is deciding which one. Up until a couple days ago I had settled on a Rubicon but the Mojave has me rethinking that. The Mojave actually fits my needs better than the Rubicon does.

We are going to semi-retire in a couple of years most likely in Yuma Az. and will be exploring the desert areas a lot, although there will be trips to Utah, Colorado etc. in the summer as well. We will be towing a small trailer for camping out of that will be around 3500# so either one is capable to do that. I wish the payload was higher but I think I can make the 1200# work.

I don’t really need the front locker, disco swaybar or 4:1 transfer case. I’am not going to do hardcore 4 wheeling anymore, the better half does not enjoy it and I have been there and done that. What I do need is a truck with a nice smooth ride due to back injuries I have had in the last year and will not be getting better. If the Mojave’s stock suspension is as good as they are saying it is then this could be my next truck. Can’t wait until they start showing up at the dealership to take one out for a spin.

I don’t have the time, energy or a place to build a truck so being able to buy a truck that comes with decent suspension not to mention a factory warranty is appealing to me. I have no intentions to swap out the shocks until they break or wear out, pretty much plan on leaving it stock, heck I even like the tires it comes with I’am running them on my current truck and I am happy with them.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
Occupation
Parks Operations
Get both there cheep:CWL::CWL:

You're off to a good start by not getting the safety nanny crap. You will save good money for useful mods.

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
I may be missing something, but I assume the Mojave suspension is considerably "softer", meaning loading the truck with things like a bed rack, rooftop tent, etc. will create much more noticeable sag in the suspension...is that right?

NoBigDeal

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I may be missing something, but I assume the Mojave suspension is considerably "softer", meaning loading the truck with things like a bed rack, rooftop tent, etc. will create much more noticeable sag in the suspension...is that right?
Probably, but, with the exception of hd/superduty, you are going to have that issue with just about any overland rig you want to build. You will need either stiffer springs or airbags to even out your load.

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
Probably, but, with the exception of hd/superduty, you are going to have that issue with just about any overland rig you want to build. You will need either stiffer springs or airbags to even out your load.
Right, which to me means that the stock suspension (whichever version) isn't a big factor.
Sponsored