Sponsored

When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing?

mazeppa

First Name
y= x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
JT/JL/JLU is a whole different animal... What you know in regard to your lifelong vehicle battery related experiences, will only serve to help you try to get a handle on.. to try to understand the dual battery system, 12v battery related issues, etc. in regard to a JT/JL/JL.

Talk from about how the battery behaved in my VW, JK, Chevy, and is almost laughable. YES, there is such a major difference in comparison to your JT/JL/JLU.

Spend a few hours reading, researching at the JL Wrangler forum.. JL/JLU owner's have been doing this dance so to speak, for 3 years. You could read there for hours and still not get a grasp on this battery ... dual battery thing.

In my opinion the two different size/type of batteries always hooked up in parallel (except during a Start Stop Event) is detrimental to long term battery life. So I keep the ESS turned off with a forum sponsor SmartStopStart memory module and the and basically the aux battery ground disconnected, I independently charge the aux battery occasionally to extend its life. I may later just remove the aux battery because my lawn mower needs a replacement battery this spring, may as well put it to good use (yes, I know I have wacky ideas.)

This image of the Jeep JT/JL dual battery schematic by @jebiruph

The PCR relay only opens the NC contacts during a Start Stop Event and both batteries at that moment are not hooked up in parallel, each battery then powers independent circuits in the Jeep.
Jeep Gladiator When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing? underhood jumper plai

See Jebiruph threads on the JL Wrangler Forum as I think Pepe was referring to.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-dual-battery-consolidated-information.25377/
Sponsored

Nitroexpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, '82 Jeep CJ-8,
Yes it is - very similar, venting to prevent gas escape that happens with standard batteries. The acid is held in "fiberglass" not free like flooded cell lead-acid. It is more controlled by the glass.

You must use the extreme version because AGM normal batteries do suffer diminished life due to heat because of the escape of water during venting. Higher heat - the vapors escape past the valves. (I think Odyssey says 170 degrees?)
The AGM is also more prone to reduced life due to incorrect charging - under or over charging - impacts them more than other batteries.
But if not exposed to extreme heat and if charged with a correct charger, always fully charged and not run below 50% they'll last a good long time because they will not lose the "water".
The AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation than your normal flooded cell lead-acid battery. I have a battery tender that helps with that for my cars since their use is erratic at times.
They are ideal for vehicles that may sit for periods like trucks not often driven or like in the case of my cars they'd last longer in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. They don't self-discharge as easily. Ideal for rough use, too (Jeeps, perhaps?)
The expense just isn't worth it for me and my cars as I can replace standard batteries cheaper if you do the math over say 15 years.
One nice thing - AGM charges faster than other batteries. So great for driving styles that include a lot of shorter drive cycles. I'd think they'd be ideal for the ESS system.
LOL - no kidding. Even a product I've used on my car batteries for years helps. I use a product an electrician showed me years ago on some connections, No-Ox or something like that. It's a help, not total prevention on cars, it's made to prevent oxidation on terminals in your business or home electrical system in high moisture areas.
I clean things up, I don't throw them away.............

Nope - no sign of corrosion or fluffy stuff here -
- I'd say Texas is pretty extreme in the heat department, especially in tractors and other slow moving equipment. I've not experienced any premature failures (excepting the imported Optima batts).
- I repurpose the flooded cell OEM batts for non-critical items, never said I throw them away.
- An AGM is roughly 2x the cost of a flooded cell and lasts roughly 3x as long (at least in my experience). Seems like pretty good economics, especially if your time is worth anything.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
- I'd say Texas is pretty extreme in the heat department, especially in tractors and other slow moving equipment. I've not experienced any premature failures (excepting the imported Optima batts).
- I repurpose the flooded cell OEM batts for non-critical items, never said I throw them away.
- An AGM is roughly 2x the cost of a flooded cell and lasts roughly 3x as long (at least in my experience). Seems like pretty good economics, especially if your time is worth anything.
Wasn't referring to you in the throw it away thing - there were other comments that led to that.
It was more at the comments made about corrosion, etc. - people just don't know how to prevent or recover from that with ordinary batteries.
I sell my old standard batteries and get 5 bucks a pop for them once they can't be recovered any more. (usually they are close to 10 years old by then if not older.)

They'll last longer IF the owner knows how to treat them. Too many use cheap crappy chargers or abuse them is the issue. If always charged properly when it's necessary, and not deep cycled (although they'll even survive that better) they'll last a lot longer.

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion ...
After this post, I decided to have a quick look, and get you some evidence, but I failed and actually found that you were right and I was wrong ... I am sorry for perpetuating incorrect info!

If I remember correctly, it was a mate that told me about this ... it might have been at a BBQ after a few, but I was sure it was the case. I believed that the Glass Mats (the GM in AGM) breakdown from all the heat and oil and fuel horrors it may meet under the bonnet.

Anyway ... thanks for getting me to relook into all this and put me on the right track ... for me, that IS what this forum is all about!

Cheers! :)

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Hopefully won't need one for a while but like to figure out ahead of time what brand and type of battery everyone is going to go with and why. Both main and axillary.

Thanks in advance.
no advise yet, but I am starting the search as well. I want to go Lithium for both the main and aux batt. And although there are no jeep specific batteries out there yet, they are coming. Antigravity, Relion are a couple to keep an eye on. Lithium batteries are smaller, a fraction of the weight, can be mounted in any position, more powerful and last longer. This is the direction you want to be looking.😎

Sponsored

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
I went with an X2 Power by Northstar. It’s 94R size and fit just fine. Has great specs and comparable in price to Optima, Odyssey, full river etc. Bought it from Batteries Plus, in stock.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
If I can't get them replaced under warranty, I'll get a 94R AGM from Costco or Sam's Club. Costco has Interstate batteries, and is less expensive, but Sam's Club is only a mile away. The ESS battery I'll probably get at Advance Auto Parts.

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Anyone replace the main battery with a lithium? I'm hoping that there is a battery available with the same dimensions which would result in more capacity vs. Same capacity but smaller size. All I've seen so far is Dakota lithium, but they note max alternator current is 80amp. I'm guessing having a 240amp/h alternator won't be compatible

chorky

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'06 TJ GE, '22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Forester
Anyone replace the main battery with a lithium? I'm hoping that there is a battery available with the same dimensions which would result in more capacity vs. Same capacity but smaller size. All I've seen so far is Dakota lithium, but they note max alternator current is 80amp. I'm guessing having a 240amp/h alternator won't be compatible
Not a good idea

• The alternator is not designed to charge lithium - you really need a DC/DC or a special charge controller
  • lithium does not do well in cold unless heated
  • equally it has issues when getting hot such as under hood summer temps
  • the vehicle systems are probably not designed to work with lithium as it and AGM has some different operational situations in relation to usage and voltage drop

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not the best idea. The pcm controls charging and is expecting agm batteries. Lithium and agm charge differently. No way I'd go that route.

Sponsored

XraytecH

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport
Occupation
Xraytech
Vehicle Showcase
I was getting the tell tail signs that the AUX battery was about to go so I went ahead and just replace both batteries. I have no inclinations to do the AUX battery delete or installing a Genesis dual battery set up.

Jeep Gladiator When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing? 062c10db-30df-430a-abe3-dac04a8b9b60-jpe

Jeep Gladiator When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing? 717c374d-5ff8-4d31-9cb0-75c8e5a7f21b-jpe

Jeep Gladiator When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing? 302043952_10162157840097907_6505223041289782610_n

piroman683

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Gladiator
Appreciate the insight guys. I do have a separate 2nd lithium battery that I use a dc to DC charge and that works great, was hoping to increase capacity on the main battery, but I seen to quickly forget how many systems and controls are in place through the pcm that would make it problematic. Will just keep things as is now now. Cheers

Planerdude

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
This is what ill be going with.

CFEFBB73-6EE2-4221-97B9-3E59BBF2CC9F.jpeg

ucijeepguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram, LJ,
I used to buy optimas but their quality took a shit a few years ago. On my wrangler that mostly sits the cheapest walmart battery has pasted 3x longer than the optima ever did.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This is what ill be going with.

Jeep Gladiator When it's battery replacement time what are you choosing? CFEFBB73-6EE2-4221-97B9-3E59BBF2CC9F
Good luck. The pcm is programmed for the charging rates etc of agm. Lithium charges differently. May work but sure won't be ideal for health or life of batteries. Each type requires different charging scenarios.
Sponsored