Sponsored

Where do you stand on a citizens use of deadly force?

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
In these situations, what are you thoughts on the use of deadly force by a regular citizen, property owner or concerned citizen:

-A mob is going through a neighborhood burning vehicles throwing rocks through homes windows, setting fire to property. As a homeowner, do you try to vacate your property or use deadly force potentially to protect your family and property? What is you trigger to take another person's life?

-A mob is going through the city burning businesses, robbing stores and destroying properties. Do you use lethal force to protect your property or do you vacate the premises and let insurance do its thing?

I think it's something you should ponder especially if you own firearms for personal protection. Know your states laws and make sure their laws are compatible with your family's values.
Sponsored

MyRight

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Gladiator Freedom, 2003 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Use lethal force to protect life and personal property. I don't hold that conviction for just family...that would apply to anyone near or around me.

In the second scenario, if while attempting to protect property, that my life is in danger, I wouldn't hesitate to defend it with lethal force. But, most likely there would be some forewarning, so I think that unless I had sufficient support to defend my business, I'd more than likely let that one be dealt with insurance.

The Crusader

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting gray JTSD.
Occupation
Field Engineer
Texas law allows for deadly force to be justified to prevent, rape, homicide, aggravated assault, aggravated robbery, and arson. Deadly force is also justified if someone breaks into an occupied building or vehicle. There are some options for protecting your property, but I won't kill somebody over stuff. Attack my family, break into my house, or try to car jack me and I'll introduce you to your maker. That's the law and I support it.

OP
OP
Lateralus

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
I wouldn't try to kill someone rummaging through my vehicle but I might try to hold them until police arrived and if they pulled out a weapon I might have to use deadly force.

Some localities have enacted laws that excuse robbery if it falls below $1k or so. That's their right to enact those laws but often times the people that elect local representatives to make such laws end up leaving their state. The residents should stay in their communities if they supported candidates who excuse petty crime and excuse vandalism.

The other other issue you need to think about is the optics of the situation once it goes down, according to popular culture. You could do everything right in a life or death situation but if your situation advances the motives of a cable news conglomerate, you're fucked.

Sponsored

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I support the use of deadly force, but in either of your scenarios the lives of myself and especially my family are more important than property. Me vs a mob can only go so far before I lose that battle. If I have an out, I'm taking it with my family in tow. No shame in retreating, as I have nothing to prove.

OP
OP
Lateralus

Lateralus

Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
  • Banned
I support the use of deadly force, but in either of your scenarios the lives of myself and especially my family are more important than property. Me vs a mob can only go so far before I lose that battle. If I have an out, I'm taking it with my family in tow. No shame in retreating, as I have nothing to prove.
I agree, escape with family to safety if possible.

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
In Kentucky, up until last year, it was required to take training courses to get a CCDW license. I grew up around guns my entire life, but when I took that training I learned a LOT that I hadn't known or thought of before. It was excellent. We were all required to break down our firearms, clean them, reassemble, etc. We were also required to shoot targets and prove that we can actually hit the intended target. Lastly there was a 4 hour course on legal aspects. When can/should you shoot and when not to shoot.

I honestly feel that this training should be required for concealed AND open carry of firearms. Every citizen has the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. I support that 100%. But I do think that in current society there is a need to properly train people on how to handle them, how to use them, and WHEN to use them from a legal aspect.

Unfortunately, the NRA stepped in and helped take things in the opposite direction, so now you don't need training for ANY form of carrying a firearm. I really lost a lot of respect for the NRA over that.

KC_H

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I started shooting when I was 8 and I am as old as dirt.

I took Massad Ayoob's MAG-40, 40 hour training course. It was an amazing course consisting of about half classroom time and half range time. I highly recommend it. (if you have 5 days to spare)

After that course I stopped carrying completely. I still go to the range and shoot for enjoyment and proficiency.

I now carry pepper spray with me and have a canister of bear spray in the car.

After much soul searching I came to the conclusion that I would not be able to kill someone and that having a deadly weapon would cause more problems than it would help.

So non lethal self defense for me.

As an aside I used to be a Krav Maga (among others) instructor.

YMMV...

Sponsored

jeepin48

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Overland 3.0L
Occupation
Engineer
CPL Laws in my area are used to stop a threat on a life. I support that... I do not support being stupid and creating a threat so that you can defend it.

booneja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport (hers) and Overland (His)
Occupation
RCAF Veteran/ Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
there are alternatives to quelling a threat as @KC_H mentioned, and one is the Bryna gun, can be used as a pepper spray pellet or a inert ball that hurts like an SOB, the sight on a gun that looks like a Glock being pointed at you or being hit with pepper spray as you enter a house could very well deter most unwanted guests from entering your home (and I don't mean the in-laws, there are better ways of dealing with them, lol)....this is MHO, I am pro gun, but in the right situation, and the Bryna gun is not permitted in Canada. I respect the right for someone anywhere (where permitted) to carry, but please do so responsibly :)

I am in no way affiliated with Bryna, just say a good video of it and thought it was a decent solution

joeym7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mojave, 2003 Cadalac STS
Occupation
Retired
In the majority of states, not all, the legal use of deadly-force is warented based on these Five principles:

1) "Innocence": You didn't start the incident.
2)"Imminence": The incident is a clear threat of death or significant bodily harm "now"...IOW, if someone beats the crap out of you even if really bad, you can't hunt him down the next day and use deadly force. That would be called revenge killing and would not go well in court.
3)"Avoidance": If you can get away rather then take a life, that is required by law in many states....Note, Stand your Ground laws in Conservative states basically means this requirement is waive. BUT, not the other 4 requirements (some gun people don't understand this).
4) "Proportionality": You can't use deadly force unless you are at risk of severe bodily harm or death...Remember the retired police captain in FLorida who shot the man to death in a theator because because the man threw popcorn at him (after words were "spoken")...He tried to use Stand Your Ground but the judge "laughed" at him. It was scheduled for trial, but I havn't followed - not sure how it ended.
5) "Reasonableness": An overall construct to guide the other and to be measured on by the jury: "What would a reasonable person do in the same situation?"

I belive in most states, or at least the majority of states, you can't shoot a person (just) because they are stealing from you...UNless each of the points above ALSO apply..

As for me, I would not take a person's life just for stuff (again unless I was at risk of severe bodily harm/Death also) and that is due to my Christian beliefs.

kevman65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
J
I accept the right and responsibility of defending myself, my family, my friends, or anyone I see endangered.

With that said, it is no picnic to draw and aim, and then discharge a firearm at another human being. It leads to years of mental and emotional problems. In the scope of the animal kingdom, we humans (for the most part) are not cut out for killing other humans.
Makes us different than the other animals.
Sponsored