Sponsored

Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time?

Hawkeyes3312

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Launch Edition
Our JT is the first truck we've ever owned. We've only owned Jeeps, but I've always considered us an SUV family. It's clear to me that many of the members of this forum are truck people 'through and through'. It's crazy that I half identify as a 'traditional' Jeep owner but learning so much about trucks in the process has been great. Being a member of this forum is more eye opening than any other forum. Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time?
Sponsored

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have 2 trucks currently...and F150 and a JTR. I've had trucks pretty much since right after I started driving and I don't know how I'd function without a truck. That said the same revelation hit me when i bought my first Wrangler 8yrs ago. Guess thats why i collect them all, lol. Jeep for life, truck for life.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
I've a different perspective after my time here. There are some 'truck' buyers here, but many are Jeep/Wrangler purists that won't be using it as a truck. It's being used and modded as if it were a Scrambler. Witness the crickets and tumbleweeds in the Towing section, for example.

Kjm18

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JT Rubicon - Delivered 7/23
Occupation
Attorney
I've a different perspective after my time here. There are some 'truck' buyers here, but many are Jeep/Wrangler purists that won't be using it as a truck. It's being used and modded as if it were a Scrambler. Witness the crickets and tumbleweeds in the Towing section, for example.
Sure, but it's not a full-size truck. It's a midsize truck. I'm new to owning a truck and I got away from Jeeps for about 8 years. I love how useful the truck bed is for going on vacation and taking stuff to the dump. I used to let stuff pile up and then borrow my father-in-law's trailer a couple times a year for dump trips. This past weekend I cut some branches along the sidewalk and took them to the dump along with used motor oil and it was great to not have to even think about getting the trailer. I'm about to do some more yard renovation stuff and It'll be great to load up the bed and not worry about it getting dirty like I would with my highlander or having to go get the trailer and bring it back etc. I'm loving the truck part of it.

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
There's a towing section?

Sponsored

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sure, but it's not a full-size truck. It's a midsize truck. I'm new to owning a truck and I got away from Jeeps for about 8 years. I love how useful the truck bed is for going on vacation and taking stuff to the dump. I used to let stuff pile up and then borrow my father-in-law's trailer a couple times a year for dump trips. This past weekend I cut some branches along the sidewalk and took them to the dump along with used motor oil and it was great to not have to even think about getting the trailer. I'm about to do some more yard renovation stuff and It'll be great to load up the bed and not worry about it getting dirty like I would with my highlander or having to go get the trailer and bring it back etc. I'm loving the truck part of it.
Yup, you're using it as a truck. And of course it's a midsize; well aware of that. But you take a midsized, marginally powered truck and put 37 - 40s tires on it, lift it, load it with off-road goodies, etc. then it will no longer be very useful as a truck. Nothing wrong with anyone taking that approach; just makes it way less capable to do truck things, and more capable off-road.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Same here. Traded our Grand Cherokee, which is an SUV, for the JT. Also had a JKUR and currently have a 2-dr JLR. Does everything my 2-dr JLR does, more flexibility than our GC offered and you can get a lot more stuff in the back for long family trips than the JKUR.

The JT is the Swiss Army knife of them all.

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There's a towing section?
HaHa, right? Not much activity there, and about half of it is guys reporting on towing 2 - 4K lbs. Not surprisingly, the Gladdy seems to do well. Right now though, I'll take any towing experiences I can get!

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
HaHa, right? Not much activity there, and about half of it is guys reporting on towing 2 - 4K lbs. Not surprisingly, the Gladdy seems to do well. Right now though, I'll take any towing experiences I can get!
haha, no I srsly didn't know we had one!

HorneyBadger

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport, 2022 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Performance Analyst
I sold my 08 JKU because I needed a truck. Just traded my 16 Tacoma TRD Sport for an Overland. It fits both needs/wants!!!!!

Sponsored

Cburgess33

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep gladiator rubicon and 2018 Rubicon JL
My wife has had two jeeps (currently a JL rubicon) and I have always been a truck dude.. I had been wanting to downsize and love jeeps as well so when the JT came out it was a no brainer ....and traded in my “White Walker”... thought I miss it but I haven’t looked back since!!!

1BDBF6D9-A1AB-4225-A1DE-64C47E018EE1.jpeg

114F3A10-FD97-4BF3-B73B-B9C64D065457.jpeg

562640F7-6F8A-45AA-8DE8-430483440637.jpeg

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Unless you live in an apartment or condo I can’t imagine NOT owning a truck.
Fortunately, we have several vehicles so I can drive what ever I want but we will always have a truck or two in the stable.

I think once non truck owners realize all the things you can do with one they’ll wonder how they ever got along without it...

Jeepdude413

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Gladiator
Occupation
Job.... always got a job...
My 2 cents:
Best MOFO truck I have owned ever!
Jeep? Check.
Truck? Check.
Happy? Check.
I totally agree.... is it the fastest... no. Is it the best tow vehicle... no. But it is the most versatile, smile producing, take to work, hunting, beach, trails, etc. truck ever produced. No regrets! YOLO :jk::rock:

noside85

First Name
Edison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon Sting Gray
Got my first truck 3 years ago, will have a truck for the rest of my life. They are too versatile. Took me 6 trips in my Sonata to get mulch, 2 trips with my Ridgeline the year later. We could pack so much more stuff in it when going on trips you really are hurting yourself without a truck. No more wondering how I'm gonna get stuff home (TV, safe, sofa), no more vacuuming mulch out of my trunk.

Now I want a more capable truck, since we want to camp more and stuff, so here I am.
Sponsored