Sponsored

Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)?

wvyankee2

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Refinery Operator
Vehicle Showcase
One that had all the options I wanted ( Body color fenders and hard top, upgraded audio, Tow package, LED's, TracLock, Leather) with maximum discount. That was the Overland. Don't plan on any difficult wheeling that would require the Lockers or sway bar disconnect, so Rubicon was out.
Sponsored

azeeb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gator JTR
Going with the Max Tow was a no-brainer for me. I have a 24' camper that weighs in at approx. 7,000lbs. I've already added Air Lift bags to the springs and plan on upgrading the rear sway bar when one becomes available. That said, I wish it had bigger tires and all the led lighting of the Rubicon and Overland models. NOTE: This pic was taken before I added the air bags,
Hellwig makes a stiffer rear sway bar that is out now. I don’t have one but am considering it.

https://www.hellwigproducts.com/our-products/search/

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Just curious why everyone decided on their trim level?
I chose Overland for the creature comforts and, because it will be a daily driver, vehicle to take on road trips, and off-roading is something I do occasionally, not a regular weekend thing.

The Sport S was too stripped down, and I did not want or need the 4:1 transfer case or 4.10 gears of Rubicon. Lockers would have been nice, but I can always add them to Overland later.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I wanted a secondary tow vehicle to complement my Ram diesel, as well as being a Jeep to replace my 2017 Recon. Did not want 4:1 transfer case, and did not need electric lockers. Found a nicely equipped Sport S max tow with cold weather, soft top, aux switches. Did want HD axles--a main reason I got the Recon.

Sponsored

bastage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S w/ Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
After watching the Exodus video where he basically said if your going to build it up then get the Max Tow I was torn between the Max Tow or a Rubicon. I didnt want to have to do much, but when shopping around there was a 16k price diferance between what I paid & the cheapest Rubicon local at the time I purchased. Figured 16k is a hell of a lot to spend on upgrades before I hit the same price. I got a very very good deal on my Max Tow. If I had been able to get a rubicon for within probably 7 or 8k I would of bought that.

DaddyG

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Site superintendent
Vehicle Showcase
Sting-Gray Sport S with the Max tow and 4.10 rears......I got pretty much everything I wanted off the dealers lot
Auto trans, 7" radio with SIRIUSXM/Apple Car play, Cold weather package, Premium Sunrider rag top, Sprayed-in Bedliner……...Now, If could just find a set of red wheels, and 35's that won't break the bank, I'd be happier than a Seagull with a bag of French fries

Sponsored

zuke

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2015 JKU, 2006 TJ, 2021 Bronco BL
Sport S, not max tow. Had been watching gladiators since they came out, but actually bought a second tow pig (I regularly need two at the same time for wheeling trips) when it was clear the Gladiator was not going to be the kind of tow rig I needed if lifted.

The wife wanted one, but not if I was going to leave it stock height, So in March, when they were really pushing to move them, I went to the dealer close to work and found the options I wanted for the best price (The selection was pretty wide) knowing I'd lift it right away, and the wife would daily it for 5 years. After five years, I'll be regearing it anyway for more serious offroad use, and 4:10s won't be the choice. I run these things until the resale value sucks anyway (10 years at least) so didn't care about that aspect.

So the regular Sport S offered the best bang for the buck with the options I wanted.

JTpoor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Tyrant
Basic Sport w/ Max Tow, Hard Top and Auto Trans.

Reasons:
1. Replaced my 2018 Ram 2500 that was way overkill for my construction/remodeling needs anymore. Power windows and door locks are unnecessary bc 99% of the time its just me in the truck.
2. Mostly deaf so I could care less if I even have a radio,
3. Hard Top bc when I do use it for work, there's no chance of tearing it up w demo debris
4. Max Tow and Auto Trans for towing/hauling needs on occasion plus I'm too lazy to shift all the time. Just want to get in and drive.
5. Not too concerned w resale as its been my experience that I'll get a proportional amount back out of it similar to re-selling a higher grade model.
6. I do regret not trying to push for color matched fenders

OL1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTLE Black, 2018 JLRU White, 1967 Corvette Converible, 2011 997.2 TTS
Ruby because I think this truck needs a little extra umph to go from lookin good, to looking great. Although I think a set of wheels/37's/lift make them all look the way they should come from the factory. I get keeping it stock though, these are all awesome trucks. The thing that is most interesting is how much better these are in person than in pictures.

Mr. Wuf

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Principal
Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)?
I went with "etc" (Overland North Edition).

This is my fourth Jeep. My 2005 TJ was an X edition and my 2007 JKU was a Sahara. I finally splurged on a fully loaded JKU Hard Rock Rubicon in 2015, and I can count on one hand the number of times I used the lockers or sway bar disconnect or benefited from the 4:1 transfer case. Still, I was strongly considering another Rubicon when I was looking at Gladiators simply because I like them and I can afford one.

However, when I saw the huge rebates on Overlands in April ($4,000 in addition to the 8% below invoice at the dealer where I found mine), it brought the price significantly below what I could get a similarly equipped Rubicon for. I decided to prioritize the comfort features of the Overland over the cool but seldom used Rubicon off-road features, and I don't regret my decision one bit.

I knew I would be lifting the Jeep to install 37s and would be re-gearing anyway, so the 3.73 Overland gears were not a concern, and I'll never haul anything bigger than a small skiff or a couple of jet skis, so the Max Tow wasn't anything I would miss.

It seems Overlands get a lot of hate on the forum (even being relegated to "etc" status in this thread's title -- haha), but in my experience, it's completely unfounded. My Jeep will do a whole lot more off-road than I am comfortable attempting, and it's mostly a beach cruiser anyway.

-miko-

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon, Tundra, Nissan NV, '21 Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Designer
I was all over the place trying to decide on trim level but netted out at a Sport Base manual with a hard top - largely based on the vehicle it will be replacing...

Jeep Gladiator Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)? FJ40.JPG

I have a full size truck and a 3500 van so hauling wasn't a factor. It came down to wanting an engaging, elemental driver that could lightly wheel and be a daily driver. The Base checked all the boxes.
Sponsored