Sponsored

Why did everyone decide their trim level (sport vs rubicon etc)?

e36racer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow, E36 BMW M3, E92 BMW M3
I went with a Sport S Max Camel Toe over the Rubicon because I intend to off road it, which is the opposite of regular convention because I never had any intention of keeping it stock.

I did the math and considering that everything that comes with the Rubicon that I would be replacing anyway, the factory lockers are the only thing I would ultimately be keeping. With that said, I'm going with ARB lockers for about $2,500. The cost for me to get the same options as mine but in the Rubicon trim worked out to about $7-8k more than I paid for mine. Therefore, when it's all said and done, to ultimately end up with a rig built identical in either trim level, I'm saving about $5k. Granted I don't have the Rubicon transfer case, but I think that can be acquired for about $1,500. And I have zero interest in the electric sway bars, quick disconnects are simple to use and way more reliable than the electric sway bars. Or said differently, with my lift, lockers, wheels and tires I'm at the same cost as if I bought a Rubicon and left it all stock. Add $1,500 for the transfer case and I'm still way ahead of the game. Just my .02, YMMV
Sponsored

kelkolb

First Name
Kelley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I went with a Sport S Max Camel Toe over the Rubicon because I intend to off road it, which is the opposite of regular convention because I never had any intention of keeping it stock.

I did the math and considering that everything that comes with the Rubicon that I would be replacing anyway, the factory lockers are the only thing I would ultimately be keeping. With that said, I'm going with ARB lockers for about $2,500. The cost for me to get the same options as mine but in the Rubicon trim worked out to about $7-8k more than I paid for mine. Therefore, when it's all said and done, to ultimately end up with a rig built identical in either trim level, I'm saving about $5k. Granted I don't have the Rubicon transfer case, but I think that can be acquired for about $1,500. And I have zero interest in the electric sway bars, quick disconnects are simple to use and way more reliable than the electric sway bars. Or said differently, with my lift, lockers, wheels and tires I'm at the same cost as if I bought a Rubicon and left it all stock. Add $1,500 for the transfer case and I'm still way ahead of the game. Just my .02, YMMV
Exactly the reasons I bought my max tow as well.

Cman1525

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Occupation
Fireman
I chose the Rubicon...being completely honest it took about 1.5years to get my wife on board with buying a brand new vehicle and I know upgrades will be even harder of a job. Just added a second child to our family a week ago...so the Rubicon is the most off road capable I can get without going through the build process. I can justify tires and lift once the M/T stock tires wear out. So...I will have mopar lift on 35’s or 37’s depending on if I decided I want to regear for the 37’s.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I chose the Rubicon...being completely honest it took about 1.5years to get my wife on board with buying a brand new vehicle and I know upgrades will be even harder of a job. Just added a second child to our family a week ago...so the Rubicon is the most off road capable I can get without going through the build process. I can justify tires and lift once the M/T stock tires wear out. So...I will have mopar lift on 35’s or 37’s depending on if I decided I want to regear for the 37’s.
You can get by with the 4.10's (I am for now) with the ECM, speedo, and shift points reprogrammed for the 37" tires. It makes a vast difference. Also, the Tazer JL Mini is a must. And I also highly recommend the iDrive unit to improve throttle response. Makes a HUGE difference, as well.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I went sport s. I just need the basics and that gave me money to build her how I want.
clayton 3.5
Bfg 37s
4.88 Yukon
Amp steps
Rubicons are sweet but can’t think of the last time I needed a locker or disconnected the sway bars.

Sponsored

Bobzdar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 1989 grand wagoneer
Wanted all the off road goodies so I wouldn't get stuck and no warranty issue if anything broke. I'm done doing anything major to my DD that will involve it not being running for more than a few hours, hence I got a loaded Rubicon and let the dealer take care of it if anything breaks.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wanted all the off road goodies so I wouldn't get stuck and no warranty issue if anything broke. I'm done doing anything major to my DD that will involve it not being running for more than a few hours, hence I got a loaded Rubicon and let the dealer take care of it if anything breaks.
Same here. Only thing I plan on doing that's "hard-wired" into the system (not easily removed) is when I do the 4.88 gear swap. Other than that, that's why I went with the Rubicon, because the lockers, sway bar, etc... is all covered under warranty if it messes up while i still have a warranty...Which is why I'm going to be paying a professional shop to do the gear swap (written guarantee of work performed, should there be a problem). If I was buying one with cash, or a used one that had no warranty left, I'd consider a Max Tow, then building it up from there. But since mine is a lease, then I plan on buying it out, I got everything I could under warranty while it has one. :like:

Jeepaholic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
I've had a bunch of Jeeps over the years. I never got the one I *really* wanted, so after I saved my pennies I got a Rubicon, Jeep #14 on my list. Love every minute of it.

LoJac963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I usually buy the highest trim when it comes to brand new vehicles. I love all the capability the Rubicon offers and being my first Jeep why not go all out? Earlier in the year when my wife bought her Grand Cherokee Summit I was amazed at the tech packages Jeep offered. Then I saw Gator and my mind was instantly set. Will I ever use the Rubi to its fullest capability, probably not but it will definitely be my shooting and offroad rig and my other truck can be a garage queen.

Gunnuts

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
I wanted something of a mild project and figured I would stop at the 50k mark......or try to. So I started looking for a good deal on the Gladiator right after I bought my wife a JL. So after looking through the options for my first Jeep, I thought I could add a lot of features myself. I wanted the max tow package for the cooling, axles, gears, etc. An automatic and a hard top. I ended up getting it out the door 19k cheaper than the Rubicon so went that route. Of everything I've gotten off the Rubi and the rest of the stuff I've added, I've only spent 7k. At this point, I'm glad I did a build project. It's almost all second hand Mopar stuff and I've met some awesome Jeepers along the way.

Front Rubi On.jpg

Sponsored

Cman1525

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Occupation
Fireman
You can get by with the 4.10's (I am for now) with the ECM, speedo, and shift points reprogrammed for the 37" tires. It makes a vast difference. Also, the Tazer JL Mini is a must. And I also highly recommend the iDrive unit to improve throttle response. Makes a HUGE difference, as well.
So the Tazer mini won't reprogram the ECM, Speedo, & shift points? Would the dealer need to do that?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So the Tazer mini won't reprogram the ECM, Speedo, & shift points? Would the dealer need to do that?
Yes, the Tazer JL Mini will do all that. It will reprogram those things...Plus MUCH more.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the Overland for the added few interior touches like leather dash. The employee discount on them now helped as well. I also didn’t really need the extra off-road capability that comes baked into the Rubi. I also drove the two and the Rubi felt a bit more floaty on the highway where as I will log the majority of miles on my Gladiator. I will make some mods of course, already changed out the tires and wheels for the Rubicon ones as I just like them better and even with the AT tire the Overland falls short in the tire area. The other Rubicon item I really love is the hood. Wish it was an option on the Overland. Maybe one day I can find one. That’s my 2 cents but you really can’t go wrong with any of the Gladiators.

Last edited:

Scteal

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
I really wanted a Rubicon and was about to order, then they announced the Mojave. I became torn on what model to get but still figured I would get a Ruby. Decided to wait for the Mojave reviews and YouTube videos to come out before ordering. So it came down to this. I ordered a Mojave in Gator beginning of June and here is why.

It came down to the suspension. Here in northern Maine, our roads are horrible. massive potholes and frost heaves that will cause you to go airborne if you do not slow down. My off-roading consist of logging and farm roads with mud, rocks and wash boards, and hence the need for the suspension. I also will not lift (well maybe a AEV spacer lift) to keep that factory ride as this will be my daily driver. As for the other features:

Electronic sway bar disconnect - I'll never need it or use it,
Front locker -nice but probably will never need (still may add one in the future)
Off road + - I can see me using this in deep snow 8+ inches
1 inch lift in the front, from the factory - nice
Don't need the full 7000lbs towing - 6000lbs will do for me
No red dash
And most importly - that hood, love it!
Most all else being the same throughout the model line up.