Sponsored

Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)?

GoBraves95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Honestly? A couple of reasons for me. Price is definitely a top contender. I also don’t mind the look personally. I think too many round lights up front look a little goofy if they are close to the same size as the headlight or fog lights. Just totally personal preference though. Biggest thing for me again was price. Also, I just have one set, not multiples. I will probably add a bar to the bumper one day but that will be it on the front I think.

22F567C5-BFE0-4752-9181-1C995C191628.jpeg

Tuggernuts

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Occupation
Truck driver
I do agree with the look of round lights. Although I have seen plenty of square light set ups that I liked. Personally, I wanted mine to keep an old school look.

Jeep Gladiator Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)? 22F567C5-BFE0-4752-9181-1C995C191628

Jeep Gladiator Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)? 22F567C5-BFE0-4752-9181-1C995C191628
Which fairlead mount are you using?

BAT

First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Sport S Max Tow Sting Grey
I have cubed cowl lights mostly due to cost. Eventually, I will move my 4.7 bumper lights to the cowl area and put something a bit larger on the bumper or if Oracle every comes out with the LED mirror light swap I may go to that and remove the cowl lights but will see.

HouseOfWolves

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
yes it is the Arcus bumper with override bar. The lights are Auxbeam 7”, link below.

Auxbeam 2Pcs 7" Round LED Driving Lights-80W LED Off-Road Light Bar, Offroad Vehicle Work Lights, 8000lm Combo Beams for Truck ATV UTV Golf Cart Lighting Pickup https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHKPW6K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E2ZTX83YP3N6ESS13C40

I mounted them using a RR winch mount plate. So I didn’t drill any holes. Everything was bolt and play.

Rugged Ridge 11238.04 Hawse Fairlead Light Mount Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V44J69G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_073JFGG5J752DFHARRDC
yes it is the Arcus bumper with override bar. The lights are Auxbeam 7”, link below.

Auxbeam 2Pcs 7" Round LED Driving Lights-80W LED Off-Road Light Bar, Offroad Vehicle Work Lights, 8000lm Combo Beams for Truck ATV UTV Golf Cart Lighting Pickup https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EHKPW6K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_E2ZTX83YP3N6ESS13C40

I mounted them using a RR winch mount plate. So I didn’t drill any holes. Everything was bolt and play.

Rugged Ridge 11238.04 Hawse Fairlead Light Mount Bracket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V44J69G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_073JFGG5J752DFHARRDC

✌

Thank you Jeeper! I wasn't aware that Fairhead bracket existed. Going to order that shit tonight!

How do you like the lights, and how you have it setup?
I was curious if it was too concentrated, or if there would be benefit from having them seperated by a couple feet.

I have these in my garage:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/hella/500-led-driving-light

These HELLA floods currently mounted on my A-Pillars:

Jeep Gladiator Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)? 1641783818467

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
If it were that the square or rectangular lights threw light in the same pattern that the eyes see, it would make sense. Same reason there's 16:9 screens. You see wider than tall. Your breadth of vision is more wide than tall. Round lights can't do that. Round gives you a round light pattern that is tall as it is wide but the corners are missing.
On the other hand, square or rectangular lights likely don't work the way eyes could best use them.
If they did I'd go square because I want a wider pattern than a tall pattern. Look at what they have to do with round headlights and fog lights - cut off the top and make them project a horizontal bar. Waste of space but more cosmetically pleasing to look at the round light.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
No argument from me 👍
IMG_20220107_142244.jpg

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Which fairlead mount are you using?
it’s the RR mount. Here is the link.

✌

Thank you Jeeper! I wasn't aware that Fairhead bracket existed. Going to order that shit tonight!

How do you like the lights, and how you have it setup?
I was curious if it was too concentrated, or if there would be benefit from having them seperated by a couple feet.

I have these in my garage:
https://www.quadratec.com/p/hella/500-led-driving-light

These HELLA floods currently mounted on my A-Pillars:

Jeep Gladiator Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)? IMG_20220107_142244
I like the lights. My first impressions were that they are well built. They feel heavy and solid. the fit and finish is great. They were packaged really nicely. They are bright and the spread isn’t too narrow. They will make good trail lights. I don’t have any experience with the high end lights, like rigid, baja, or KC. So I can’t really say how good they are in comparison. They could be crap compared to them. But for what I paid for them, they do a great job.

I wired them up to my JTs stock aux switches. Switch 1. It was pretty simple and I had it done in less than an hour.

I’m really happy with the bumper. I had the stock metal bumper, but it was going to cost me $300 for a winch plate. Instead I got this bumper for $600 and sold my stock on for $600. So that was a cheaper option than buying a winch plate.

Sunbeam63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Max Tow
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll preface this by saying, your Jeep, you do you, but I just don’t get it. Is it price? Availability? Are there more small square lights added than round? Totally a personal preference and I’m not hating. I just have never thought it looks right. They have round headlights and fog lights and there isn’t one square line on them minus their brick like shape.

Just curious, don’t take it too seriously if you have added square lights. It’s just a thought that’s always on my mind when I see Gladiators that I like with square lights added.
I agree that round lights look better on the Wrangler/Gladiator. However, I ended up going with rectangle Hellas, as they could be squeezed between the light bar and bumper. This provides less obstruction to the radiator. One white driving light in the middle, two amber fogs on the sides.

Jeep Gladiator Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)? E0D7CBEE-B669-42D1-8EC4-7CE8931816AB

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I do agree with the look of round lights. Although I have seen plenty of square light set ups that I liked. Personally, I wanted mine to keep an old school look.

Jeep Gladiator Why do people put square lights on JTs (or any wrangler minus the YJ)? E0D7CBEE-B669-42D1-8EC4-7CE8931816AB

Yup - the old-school look, all round lights. So many lights were round, KC lights (save for the KCs I had on my Comanche but then the headlights weren't round, either)
Square lights next to the headlights on these would just be "different". Your setup looks good with the big round lights up front.

Sponsored

PDiddy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Architectural Illustrator
Yup - the old-school look, all round lights. So many lights were round, KC lights (save for the KCs I had on my Comanche but then the headlights weren't round, either)
Square lights next to the headlights on these would just be "different". Your setup looks good with the big round lights up front.
Thanks Shadowpapa,
I actually saw this exact setup on YouTube, when I was looking at Rugged Ridge Arcus bumper reviews, and copied it.

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
My original plan was BD LP lights, but price for performance difference between those and the SS lights from Diode Dynamics has me leaning towards DD. It is a $500 difference on 4 LP6 pro vs 4 SS5 Pro for a similar lumen output.