Sponsored

Why do you like or dislike Auto start stop (ESS)?

BLK HOLE

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2012 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Copy that. That might be a cheaper option for folks. I like all the other features of the Tazer, as well as needed to adjust tire size. The high beams w/ fogs is another huge plus. So for me, it was worth the money.
High beams with fogs is illegal here.

Tazer is probably the best option either way. I already had a Flashpaq so I went with the chip. Otherwise I would have gotten a tazer.
Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I like all the other features of the Tazer, as well as needed to adjust tire size. The high beams w/ fogs is another huge plus. So for me, it was worth the money.
Do you have the $300 one or the $200 one? (Mini or Mini Lite)

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to take this on a slight detour. Temporarily putting aside whether or not ESS saves gas or adds more wear. And keeping in mind I do not have my Gladiator yet.

Here's my question(s). Does having the second battery add redundancy in a positive way? When you manually start the vehicle, I assume that uses the main battery? Are the main battery and the ESS battery isolated from each other? So let us say for some reason, I run the main battery down, so it cannot produce enough juice to start. Does the ESS battery then provide that redundancy, allowing you to use it to start?
No, it does not. The way to get that redundancy is to add another battery and an Isolator. The Genesis Dual Battery Kit is one way of doing that.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland 6-speed. 2004 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4x4, gave to daughter w/350K miles
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The Genesis Dual Battery Kit is one way of doing that.
$529, and that does not include any batteries! It says you must use matching Group 25 batteries. I don't suppose the factory JT battery is Group 25?

Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
$529, and that does not include any batteries! It says you must use matching Group 25 batteries. I don't suppose the factory JT battery is Group 25?
No, the kit requires the purchase of two new batteries. The Genesis recommended batteries are about $300 each. The kit makes for an easy install. I went a different route and attached a battery box to the frame behind the right rear wheel. The Cole-Hersee Isolator is about $100 on Amazon. The Warn cable kit I used is around $200.

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I went a different route and attached a battery box to the frame behind the right rear wheel. The Cole-Hersee Isolator is about $100 on Amazon. The Warn cable kit I used is around $200.
When cobbling it together as you have, can you still use the factory battery, just add one? Does the additional battery have to be identical?

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When cobbling it together as you have, can you still use the factory battery, just add one? Does the additional battery have to be identical?
The second battery doesn't need to be identical, but it's better to have one that is of comparable capacity. I used a deep cycle battery, and run the winch and lights off of it. Standard car batteries have a short life if they are regularly discharged, but deep cycle batteries are designed for that type of use.

Ray F.

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubi
It does save fuel, if the engine is stopped for at least seven seconds.
Curious if this is advertising lore or based on an actual result that’s been explained using accessible test results.

Years ago, I came across this topic, but the published results were different. It said, due to unburned fuel being ejected and the inefficiency of more than ideal fuel being sprayed into the cylinders on start up, in order for a vehicle that has it’s engine shut off to just break even with one that remains on, it has to remain off for 30 seconds.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Curious if this is advertising lore or based on an actual result that’s been explained using accessible test results.

Years ago, I came across this topic, but the published results were different. It said, due to unburned fuel being ejected and the inefficiency of more than ideal fuel being sprayed into the cylinders on start up, in order for a vehicle that has it’s engine shut off to just break even with one that remains on, it has to remain off for 30 seconds.
What I read (don't remember where) was regarding the JL/JT ESS system. With older engines, especially those using a carburetor, there was no fuel savings, it was better to leave it idling.

Sponsored

DreamedofaJeepSomeday

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Civil Engineer
The second battery doesn't need to be identical, but it's better to have one that is of comparable capacity. I used a deep cycle battery, and run the winch and lights off of it. Standard car batteries have a short life if they are regularly discharged, but deep cycle batteries are designed for that type of use.
I won't be running a winch, or anything like that, I was just looking for a redundant starting system. It would seem that Jeep could have rigged the ESS battery to be used in a pinch to start.

Maybe someone will invent a hack.

Last edited:

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I won't be running a winch, or anything like that, I was just looking for a redundant starting system. It would seem that Jeep could have rigged the ESS battery to be used in a pinch to start.

I think there's a thread about that on here, somewhere. There's one on the JL forum that goes over it. I remember reading about some wiring changes with the ESS system since the 2018 JL release.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
I remember when people used to be annoyed at ABS, airbags, and even fuel injection. (Yes I'm that old.). They were all just government nanny requirements. I'd recommend reading the book, "Who Moved My Cheese."

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek

Get one of the jumpstart packs. They are very effective, and also give you device charging while camping. The ESS battery does ADD overall power to the system, but can be depleted. Meaning that it would definitely take longer to deplete both batteries, over just a single one. But you could deplete them, just takes longer.
Sponsored