MojaveMat

MojaveMat

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
It really depends on your budget, and how much pulling power you want/need.

Warn has been the "go-to" for a long time, but is also more expensive. The Badlands is significantly cheaper, and pretty well-known to be reliable.

That being said, I have the Warn Platinum 12s
If I’m being honest I live in the burbs in michigan. Really looking for a little assistance if I get stuck in some deep snow in northern MI during the winter time. Seems like badlands might be able to get the job done. I’ve read a lot of discussion on how to connect to battery? Are you running hot or do you have a switch to keep it off when you don’t need it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
MojaveMat

MojaveMat

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I have been using Smittybilt X20's. Work great, haven't seen any problems out of them and we have several in our group. I did not personally prefer the Badland as it has little to no warranty. Same cost in a Smittybilt gets substanially more warranty and I bought it through 4 Wheel Parts so I can hopefully deal with the physical store if need be.
I’ll have to check this out. I’m a value guy, think I might have to go with badland or this?

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR, '08 JKUX, '08 JKUS
The only hard recommendations I would give are:

1) Get a synthetic winch line, for a number of reasons - safety being the biggest
2) Get a snatch block to prevent from having to pull from weird angles and also doubles the capacity of your winch
3) Buy some D rings or soft shackles - and LEARN THE PROPER WAY TO USE THEM
4) Get safety gear - gloves, winch blanket

Finally... LEARN THE PROPER WAY TO USE ALL OF THESE! preferably before you "have" to use them.

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
I saw a huge thread on this setup after I posted. Seems exactly what I’m looking for. I want something that can pull me out of the snow occasionally and will look good. Don’t need to be pulled up a mountain or anything. Did you have any issues with the fit in the mopar bumper; what plate did you use?What’s your setup to the battery? Do you have it hot all the time or did you put a switch in? Looks great!
Well…this is a 12,000# winch…so it does have some pull. They do make lesser ones, but the price was right. I got the email or text indicating the sale and :20 later it was in my cart at my local harbor-freight store.

I went with a warn plate. Drilled a hole and inverted a grommet for the power lines to exit. No matter what when she put up there it’s gonna be pretty tight because it sits so low and so tied up against the grill. But mines not touching the grill. I’ve got about a half an inch if memory serves me right

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
For value series winches, our most popular winches are the Warn VR EVO series, with the EVO10-S being the most popular for the JTs and JLs.

The are designed by Warn and built overseas to compete against other lower-priced overseas built winches.

Warn VR EVO 10-S:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jeep-truck-suv-winches/103253-warn-vr-evo10s-winch-rope

For another value series winch brand, we also carry the Engo line of winches and they are priced competitively with other winches in the same category:

ENGO XR 10 w/ synthetic rope:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...ngo-xr-series-winch-w-synthetic-rope-10-000lb

Sponsored

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I went with a warn plate.
Actually, a really good point for the OP: do NOT cheap out on the winch plate. There are numerous examples of lesser quality plates flexing/breaking - especially if pulling someone out of a ditch in the snow you want something STRONG.

Last edited:

be77solo

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Gladiator Willys Sport 6-MT, '19 Cadillac XT4
Like many others, the Badlands 12K is my plan. Just hard to beat it when they have their good sales, the reviews are good, looks decent and people just seem to like them. I'm planning to snag one soon, hoping for a good Black Friday sale to finally install one on mine.

There are better winches, but like you've run across, they are usually 2-3x more, and it's just not something I'm going to use regularly. If it got terrible reviews I'd spend the extra, but in this case I'm ok with it.

Northridge4x4

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.northridge4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sahara JKU, 2013 Rubicon JKU
Occupation
Seller of badassery
Actually, a really good point for the OP: do NOT cheap out on the winch plate. There are numerous examples of lesser quality plates flexing/breaking - especially if pulling someone out of a ditch in the show you want something STRONG.
X2 on that remark.

We'd rather see a cheap winch on a good quality winch mount, than an expensive winch on a cheap mount.

Obviously a good quality winch on a good quality mount would be the best.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
If I’m being honest I live in the burbs in michigan. Really looking for a little assistance if I get stuck in some deep snow in northern MI during the winter time. Seems like badlands might be able to get the job done. I’ve read a lot of discussion on how to connect to battery? Are you running hot or do you have a switch to keep it off when you don’t need it?
If you're leaning towards the Badlands, I say go for it. People have had really good experiences with them. I'd recommend at LEAST 10,000lbs, though.

I've wired all my winches straight to the battery. I've never had a reason to install a switch or anything.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
The only hard recommendations I would give are:

1) Get a synthetic winch line, for a number of reasons - safety being the biggest
2) Get a snatch block to prevent from having to pull from weird angles and also doubles the capacity of your winch
3) Buy some D rings or soft shackles - and LEARN THE PROPER WAY TO USE THEM
4) Get safety gear - gloves, winch blanket

Finally... LEARN THE PROPER WAY TO USE ALL OF THESE! preferably before you "have" to use them.
I promise up front, that I'm not trying to give you any grief on this, but...

A synthetic line isn't always an ideal solution, so I wouldn't recommend it over a standard steel cable. We really need to know what the majority use of the winch would be for to kind of help determine which would be best.

The snatch block doesn't inherently double the winch pulling power (normally called mechanical advantage since the winches actual power never changes), only when installed correctly and brought back to the the jeep(winch) itself will it do that. For other line pulls, it's the same.

Sponsored

Summitsearcher

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Stingrey JTR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Switch is included with the Badlands 12K. I have one and the only extra thing I bought was a snatch block. I’m in MICHIGAN as well. Go Blue!
Jeep Gladiator Winches 101?? EE5CAC69-6AC3-40BD-A5BA-A47AAB148771

Dougstdig

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTRD - '08 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4
Like many others, the Badlands 12K is my plan. Just hard to beat it when they have their good sales, the reviews are good, looks decent and people just seem to like them. I'm planning to snag one soon, hoping for a good Black Friday sale to finally install one on mine.

There are better winches, but like you've run across, they are usually 2-3x more, and it's just not something I'm going to use regularly. If it got terrible reviews I'd spend the extra, but in this case I'm ok with it.
The non s 12k is at a disposable $349 this weekend

E6C993C8-AA43-4279-ACAF-B24EACB492D1.png

No sale on the Apex this weekend…

82BBD8BE-2D15-4568-9E8A-DC455FD8B6CE.png

Last edited:

OHJeeper

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
I promise up front, that I'm not trying to give you any grief on this, but...

A synthetic line isn't always an ideal solution, so I wouldn't recommend it over a standard steel cable. We really need to know what the majority use of the winch would be for to kind of help determine which would be best.

The snatch block doesn't inherently double the winch pulling power (normally called mechanical advantage since the winches actual power never changes), only when installed correctly and brought back to the the jeep(winch) itself will it do that. For other line pulls, it's the same.
No grief assumed!

I agree on both counts. On the snatch block I should have been specific on the doubling capacity comment, but even without that they are great for pulling in off angle situations.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
If I’m being honest I live in the burbs in michigan. Really looking for a little assistance if I get stuck in some deep snow in northern MI during the winter time.
Or pulling people out at the mall.

Vanishing Point

First Name
Ernest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Physician
I went with a Sherpa 12,000 #. There was three things that made me go for the Sherpa. I'm guessing for most folks those three things are not worth the extra $500 to $600 dollars but it was to me.

1. Billet cut gears instead of sintered gears.

2. The clutch works in the gearbox instead of the drum thereby keeping the heat off your synthetic line. If you are running cable that won't matter.

3. From everything I could find the Sherpa winches seemed less susceptible to water intrusion. That's probably more subjective than objective though.

Less important is I liked the yellow color of the Winch. Zero reason to get it based on that. Plus I'm the only guy at meet ups with a Sherpa winch. Again, zero value in that. 😂
Sponsored