Sponsored

Windshield Poll: Regular OEM vs Gorilla Glass Durability

Please click the applicable option to gather data on how your respective windshield (WS) has held up

• Gorilla Windshield chipped/cracked enough to need replacement after 2 year of delivery/new WS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
Please click the applicable option to gather data on how your respective regular OEM or Gorilla glass windshield (WS) has held up. If the windshield was repaired well enough to not need replacement, please exclude those instances.

Multiple selections are allowed, so that those that have changed windshield type or replacement time-frame can respond to those that are applicable.
Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
You should add the Hyper Glass Performance windshield. I don't know what they do differently with their formula vs the later OEM GG option, but I've got 17 months and 22K miles on mine, with not a scratch. I had TWO divots in my plain glass window in 8K / 5 months.

OP
OP
Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
You should add the Hyper Glass Performance windshield. I don't know what they do differently with their formula vs the later OEM GG option, but I've got 17 months and 22K miles on mine, with not a scratch. I had TWO divots in my plain glass window in 8K / 5 months.
Oh interesting, this is the first I've heard of them. I may go that route when my GG fails.

Sponsored

JET_83

Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Gladiator Overland
GG is garbage no better than factory OEM and a complete and utter waste of money to “upgrade”

OP
OP
Zybane

Zybane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTRD
Occupation
Military Pilot
I just looked into the Hyper Glass Performance windshield with GG and it seems like it's constructed the same as the MOPAR GG windshield. I wonder if an OEM makes the GG windshield but then sells it to MOPAR and HGP. What are the chances two different brands would come out with identical (near?) GG windshields.

AZJT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
My OEM standard windshield lasted a bit more than a year - it's my daily driver in AZ, so I was quite surprised it lasted that long. AZ is infamous for windshields not lasting long, for some strange reason. Went through 3 more standard windshields before my insurance agreed to cover the Gorilla Glass windshield in March of this year - here I am a bit over 2 months later and even the GG is now cracked and requires replacement. Very disappointed, to say the least. Same as the others' fates - small rock flicked on the freeway, causing a bullseye shot that has since spread into a long crack. :headbang:

Sponsored

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
The glass shop I had it installed at was NOT happy with the finish on the edge trim, whatever it is called. The tech said it was uneven, but he'd do his best. Came out perfect, but I was a little disappointed. Mopar / OEM parts NEVER have that kind of shortcoming, that I've ever seen.

Given the limited number of items HGP offers, and their availability, I doubt that they source from the same supplier as Mopar.

Also, I bought mine a year before Mopar offered theirs - why the delay?

Regardless, we've had hard hits over 22K and zero damage, which hasn't been the case with folks and the Mopar glass. We had someone on this forum accuse people losing windshields from driving too fast; trust me, when my wife is driving, if speed killed windshields, we'd be on #5 already.

I just looked into the Hyper Glass Performance windshield with GG and it seems like it's constructed the same as the MOPAR GG windshield. I wonder if an OEM makes the GG windshield but then sells it to MOPAR and HGP. What are the chances two different brands would come out with identical (near?) GG windshields.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Corning owns the Gorilla Glass trademark. No one can sell it but through Corning or by sourcing it from corning.
HGP calls their glass "chemically strengthened" which is likely what Corning uses, but with the Corning patents and trademarks, at this point, HGP seems to avoid using that name. Either they license the process or have some other arrangement with Corning.
Also interesting note that HGP actually says that they use a thicker outer layer since the inner layer - next to your face - can be a lot thinner. While Corning touts a thinner, much lighter windshield, saving weight, HGP does not say that - apparently they use the chemically modified inner glass as MOPAR but make the outer layer thicker, so likely little to no weight savings. It may be one way they have toughened things up. On the other hand, a rock that's going to chip or pit glass, is going to chip or pit glass, no matter how thick. Whether or not it cracks is a different story.

Even Ford sold their glass works not long ago - meaning they now buy instead of make windshields and other glass for their cars/trucks. I'd be surprised if MOPAR made their own windshields. The technology is just to specialized and making your own leaves you out of the latest technology.
Letting other companies

Hyperformance Glass Products (HGP) hasn't been around for long - what, 3, 4 years?

Anyway, all the talk of "I had chips, now I don't" or whatever, no proof of anything at all. You can't say because the first one cracked in 7 months and this one has lasted 2 years that it proves anything at all.
We've had 2 Grand Cherokee windshields dealt with in the past - and yet the last 5 years, not even a chip! Better glass! Uh, no, it's just how things work. No two hits are the same.
Only testing with a device like those air cannons shooting the exact same projectile at the same angle and same speed and same ambient temperature would be proof of anything.
Likely the last hit my JT took would have cracked the glass on either of my cars, or my wife's Grand Cherokee.

We had someone on this forum accuse people losing windshields from driving too fast;
Yeah, that's a bunch of unadulterated bull sxxt, too. When my wife is in the vehicle, unless you are trying to outrun a massive storm system, you don't drive "too fast" or you'll hear about the cost of tickets, insurance and fuel expenses. (but she is technically correct)
Following too close - that can do it, but what do you do when the rock comes from a truck 2 lanes over to the right and not even close to you, or from a truck coming from the other direction on a 2 lane? Huh? Answer that one.

brianinca

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
IT Manager
It WAS sourced from Corning, there are Gorilla Glass TM's on the silkscreen and a BIG Gorilla head where the Willys MB should be. Looking at their site today, it no longer carries that badging.

https://www.hyperformanceglassproducts.com/product/jeep-hyper-tough-windshield-htj-dw02668/

Corning owns the Gorilla Glass trademark. No one can sell it but through Corning or by sourcing it from corning.
HGP calls their glass "chemically strengthened" which is likely what Corning uses, but with the Corning patents and trademarks, at this point, HGP seems to avoid using that name. Either they license the process or have some other arrangement with Corning.
Also interesting note that HGP actually says that they use a thicker outer layer since the inner layer - next to your face - can be a lot thinner. While Corning touts a thinner, much lighter windshield, saving weight, HGP does not say that - apparently they use the chemically modified inner glass as MOPAR but make the outer layer thicker, so likely little to no weight savings. It may be one way they have toughened things up. On the other hand, a rock that's going to chip or pit glass, is going to chip or pit glass, no matter how thick. Whether or not it cracks is a different story.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 XC90 - 23 JTM - 19 JLUR - 04 355 ZQ8
Occupation
USA(R), DoD Field Ops Engineer
I like how the Gorilla glass option went from $99 to $495 in a matter of 9 months
Sponsored