Sponsored

Windshield Washer Clogged?

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Noticed yesterday my windshield washer fluid wasn't spraying correctly. Wouldn't reach the windshield. I thought it was almost used up so I filled it up but the tank only took half a jug. Still won't work. I can hear the motor working. Is it clogged up? I've been using the green RainX bug remover fluid. Jeep is just over 1 year old.
Sponsored

mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker JTR; 2020 DGC JLUR
Build Thread
Link
That happened to our grand Cherokee, may be similar issue. It was gunked up.
I ended up pulling apart a T in the line by the hood, and blowing air through both sides and that worked. If I remember the clog was by the reservoir, not the nozzles.

FloridaJT6MT

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Sport Willys
Those lines are quite easy to pull out and inspect. I had to disconnect them when I put my hood decal on. I agree, pull them off and you can use an air compressor to clear them out.

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Be prepared for the "never had a problem with Rain-X" crowd to chime in.

Had same issues in a Cavalier and a FJ Cruiser of it gunking up the nozzle outlets and now avoid the stuff. In the right conditions, that stuff has a habit of gelling up and either blocking the pump intake and/or residue building up in the lines and nozzles.

I do not think it is a systemic problem, but it happens enough that it cannot be discounted as anything other than the product and not operator error.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I do a 50/50 mix using the blue stuff and distilled water. Has worked well for me across many years and vehicles.

Sponsored

redfish

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL, JT
Occupation
Strategic Account Executive
Rain x clogged my Ram up. Stopped using , just keep spray ceramic on my windshield and windows now

ShirtlessCubsFan

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GLI, 2020 Mercedes GLB, 2022 Mojave
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Rain-X is hydrophobic. The same compounds that coat your windshield to repel rain eventually coat your lines and nozzles as well. Even their newer "won't cause problems!" formula seems to be causing problems.

You could always try removing the nozzles completely from your Jeep, then reconnecting them to the loose hoses, point the nozzles into a bucket, and run some vinegar through the system until it frees everything back up. Once done, run distilled water through to rinse away the vinegar, and then use regular washer fluid.

Wax, seal, ceramic coat, or whatever else your windshield instead.

ShrimpHappens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Sport S
Be prepared for the "never had a problem with Rain-X" crowd to chime in.

Had same issues in a Cavalier and a FJ Cruiser of it gunking up the nozzle outlets and now avoid the stuff. In the right conditions, that stuff has a habit of gelling up and either blocking the pump intake and/or residue building up in the lines and nozzles.

I do not think it is a systemic problem, but it happens enough that it cannot be discounted as anything other than the product and not operator error.
Rain-X is hydrophobic. The same compounds that coat your windshield to repel rain eventually coat your lines and nozzles as well. Even their newer "won't cause problems!" formula seems to be causing problems.

You could always try removing the nozzles completely from your Jeep, then reconnecting them to the loose hoses, point the nozzles into a bucket, and run some vinegar through the system until it frees everything back up. Once done, run distilled water through to rinse away the vinegar, and then use regular washer fluid.

Wax, seal, ceramic coat, or whatever else your windshield instead.
What?! A brand new issue to argue on the internet about? Best day ever!

I'm in the "never had an issue" group. Been using Rain-X washer fluid for years and years on a handful of different vehicles. I also use the washers at least every other day; maybe that's why I've never had issues.

OP
OP
TrainMan

TrainMan

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Chevy Silverado, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S.
Thanks. I also use my washer fluid nearly everyday which is why I was surprised how fast it clogged up.

Today I siphoned out the fluid and filled up with warm water and a little dish soap. After running the fluid pump every few minutes for about an hour the problem slowly went away and the sprayers are now working normal again. I guess I'll use the cheap blue stuff for now on.

Almost

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD & 09 JKU
I know this is an old post, but I'm currently having the same issue and stumbled on this thread. I also used some green Rain-x as well so it seems like that is a contributing factor. I will be using prestone bug wash now moving forward which is way better anyway, but harder to find at least in my area.

Sponsored

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Be sure you are using distilled water also if your area has hard water. I learned that lesson on my TJ

SelfmodJT

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep JT Willys, 2005 350z con
If you notice this after running wires across the rear of the engine bay, make sure you ran the wires below the metal brackets. I did an install last week and I tried using my wipers yesterday and nothing was coming out. I opened the hood and saw where the wiper fluid lines ran. I tried it with the hood open and they worked, so it wasnt too hard to figure out my issue. Re routed the wires and they work fine now.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
We just got back from a Service Dept visit with my wife's JL ... window washer stopped working and I assumed it to be the pump. They drained and blew out the system which was clogged and I'm told the culprit is the RainX Orange 2 in 1 that I put in. Time to siphon out the JT and find a better alternative. Hadn't heard of this issue, but then again I'm not surprised ....

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I need some more washer fluid, and was considering the Rain-X. I've always used the blue stuff mixed with distilled water. Guess I'll stick with that.
Sponsored