Sponsored

Would you pay monthly for your heated seats to work?

NC_Overland

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland
My wife and I leased a Buick. Once. Never again. Have never had even a car payment since. Except when I bought my Ram with a $1000 incentive to finance it. Paid it off on the first payment.

I prefer that I hold the title rather than allow the finance company to do so.
Well sure, me too, but unfortunately I didn’t have that kind of cash to stroke a check for one and the way they lease, it was a better financial decision for me to lease vs buy.

Also, on a side note, my JKU Rubicon was a buy back and I’m still skeptical and not willing to give Chrysler $46,000 ($54k-$8k discount) of my money. If it turns out to be a good vehicle and worth the residual value in the end then I’ll buy it. Leasing gave me more options and, once again, I had a terrible experience with my last Jeep.
Sponsored

maxpower220

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold), 2020 F150 Powerstroke
I would guess that some company will find a way to "unlock" all features with a plug in device like a Tazer. Obviously, this could make it great for those inclined to find those services.

Yes, give me the truck with every feature, but I only want to pay for the base vehicle. $200 "device" then opens all options. Like the old days of direct TV.

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
I live in Alabama... We don't need heated seats around here. But if we did, no way in hell would I pay monthly to use it, after I paid for the option to be installed from the factory.

This is why the government needs to be dismantled and rebuilt to a minimum-function entity that is truly ran BY the people, OF the people, and FOR the people...You know, the novel concept of what it was INTENDED to be by our Founding Fathers.
I fail to see how this story has anything to do with government. (??)

Klutch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep Comanche, 2000 Jeep Cherokee
The article mentions BMW said they were going to charge for Apple Car Play, but the reaction was so negative, they backed off. Any effort to charge monthly fees for options will be met with the same negative.

Although, BMW drivers are a unique lot. Most of them know their cars are designed to fall apart after the warranty is up. Smart drivers drop their BMWs like a hot rock the day before the 4-year, full warranty expires. Unsuspecting drivers are amazed at the great deals they can get on 4-year old BMWs. Then the dash lights up like a pinball machine and the new drivers find out only a BMW dealer can work on it. When they drive into the BMW service bay, a meter clicks over to $1,000 and keeps spinning. This happens about once a month. Then the unsuspecting drivers figure out what's going on and dump their BMWs like a used, hot rock.

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
It's already here. We will have to pay monthly for some of the Uconnect features to continue working won't we?
It's a terrible idea for the consumer, but great $$$ for the manufacturer. I hate the whole fee based society we seem to be heading toward. It stinks.
Sirius for example.

Sponsored

Murgatroid

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport S
Occupation
RN
Vehicle Showcase
The article mentions BMW said they were going to charge for Apple Car Play, but the reaction was so negative, they backed off. Any effort to charge monthly fees for options will be met with the same negative.

Although, BMW drivers are a unique lot. Most of them know their cars are designed to fall apart after the warranty is up. Smart drivers drop their BMWs like a hot rock the day before the 4-year, full warranty expires. Unsuspecting drivers are amazed at the great deals they can get on 4-year old BMWs. Then the dash lights up like a pinball machine and the new drivers find out only a BMW dealer can work on it. When they drive into the BMW service bay, a meter clicks over to $1,000 and keeps spinning. This happens about once a month. Then the unsuspecting drivers figure out what's going on and dump their BMWs like a used, hot rock.
BMW has been like that for years. I've had 3 of the motorcycles from a 1961 to a 1984 and they had so many "special" tools that you had to have to work on them, even the 1961.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I fail to see how this story has anything to do with government. (??)
I fail to see how your reply holds any relevance to this thread's contents.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, you were the one who went off about government on this thread. I though you might like to clarify, that's all.
What needs clarification? It's pretty clear.

oldhp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Galdiator 80th Anniversary
Occupation
Retired
No. I would put ads in newspapers about what Jeep was doing.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What? No. Not the same at all.

It blows my mind how many Just don’t understand leasing at all.
You will love this one then. TRUE STORY. I used to be a manager for On With Life in Iowa. Part of my job was being in charge of safety. I had an Iowa trooper come in and talk about safety - his concentration was on road safety, of course. And he told us of some of his real adventures in being a state trooper.
He was driving along I80 and came upon a car on the shoulder, hood up, driver in seat waiting for help.
Trooper pulls up and goes and asks the guy what's wrong.
I don't know - was driving along and it made this noise and then wasn't running right and it finally just stopped and I coasted over here.
Trooper has driver turn on the key, looks at gauges to see if it's got GAS, yup, it registers it has plenty of gas.
So trooper goes out and starts snooping under the hood. No sign of coolant leaks, doesn't appear to have blown a hose, belts look fine, everything is connected ok. So he pulls the dip stick - wipes it off, puts it back in and pulls it out again - huh? Nothing.
So he asks the driver - when was the last time you had the oil changed?
Oh, this is a leased car, I don't have to do that....................................
So, for all of you folks buying a car that had been leased - beware idiot lessees.

Shootist

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
This is just completely ludicrous. They will charge to install hardware. Sure they may only charge cost and labor for that hardware up front but charging for that without any benefit is still a bad concept for the consumers. They will not take a loss of any kind because stockholders would fire any executive that would even suggest it. So, basically that means the consumer will still be paying for hardware they can’t use Without paying the “profit portion” via a subscription. Of course for any of this to work it would require some form of legal recourse for companies and thereby employ more lawyers and the court system potentially. So, yes government would absolutely come into play at some level with this. Honestly, it would be an added and completely unnecessary approach. It is a stupid idea that makes perfect sense if you just don’t think about it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You will love this one then. TRUE STORY. I used to be a manager for On With Life in Iowa. Part of my job was being in charge of safety. I had an Iowa trooper come in and talk about safety - his concentration was on road safety, of course. And he told us of some of his real adventures in being a state trooper.
He was driving along I80 and came upon a car on the shoulder, hood up, driver in seat waiting for help.
Trooper pulls up and goes and asks the guy what's wrong.
I don't know - was driving along and it made this noise and then wasn't running right and it finally just stopped and I coasted over here.
Trooper has driver turn on the key, looks at gauges to see if it's got GAS, yup, it registers it has plenty of gas.
So trooper goes out and starts snooping under the hood. No sign of coolant leaks, doesn't appear to have blown a hose, belts look fine, everything is connected ok. So he pulls the dip stick - wipes it off, puts it back in and pulls it out again - huh? Nothing.
So he asks the driver - when was the last time you had the oil changed?
Oh, this is a leased car, I don't have to do that....................................
So, for all of you folks buying a car that had been leased - beware idiot lessees.
Luckily I leased my JTR brand new off the lot with 20 miles on the clock... I'm the original and only owner. So, when times comes up, I'll be buying my own vehicle since new. So, I know it's been taken care of. :like:

NEWBWHEELER

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Explorer ST, 2020 Hydro blue Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Free loader
Maybe your right. But I have to say I’ve had Zero issues with mine and it’s at 3.5 yrs. now. That being said I’m happy to be getting out of it in the next couple weeks when my JTR arrives.

edit. It failed to multi quote Post #34 and #36
Sponsored