Your battery voltage - truck off and at rest

4-Play

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
I don’t have a Tazer (yet) I disable the ESS manually because I don’t like that feature. Shame on me for all that liquid gold I’m wasting at the red light but, after reading about the issues with the dual battery system, ESS and the like, now I am feeling like a hypochondriac reading WebMD. Would it be better for the batteries to leave the ESS active?
Sponsored

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a Tazer (yet) I disable the ESS manually because I don’t like that feature. Shame on me for all that liquid gold I’m wasting at the red light but, after reading about the issues with the dual battery system, ESS and the like, now I am feeling like a hypochondriac reading WebMD. Would it be better for the batteries to leave the ESS active?
ESS is always active, and has no effect on batteries and charging. The dash button, and the various hacks/mods, just prevent the engine from turning off when ESS calls for it.

Mr._Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland - 2013 Nissan Leaf SV
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, I replaced them both.
Are you having any electrical or starting issues, or are you just looking at the differences in voltage levels on the dash display since the batteries were replaced?

Butch-R-Vols

First Name
Butch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Overland 3.0 Diesel, 2011 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired
New here. 2021 Overland Diesel. Been sitting for 24 hours and my voltage is 12.4

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Are you having any electrical or starting issues, or are you just looking at the differences in voltage levels on the dash display since the batteries were replaced?
replaced the batteries after having a few gremlins.

Now just watching the low voltage of it all

Sponsored

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It also looks like it has two settings:

1. Where the camera will run continuously for 10 mins after the truck is turned off and then power up again only at the sight of motion

or

2. Where the camera is continuously recording while the truck is off. This setting is where the 12V shut-off would apply it seems
Man if mine continuously recorded while the truck was off there'd be times the internet would be full and not handle any more data.

I wonder why with option 1 they have it run for 10 minutes? Seems unnecessary as you'd still be in the area unless you run from your truck.

Aside from the actual connection to the battery terminal where is the ground wire connected to the truck?
Ground from aux goes to the top of the IBS
Ground for aux and crank battery then goes to the right fender area next to the crank battery.

Had the battery tested and it passed. The NAPA test device showed my alternator output at 12.67 at idle. Which as far as I know is low.
Depends on the state of charge of the batteries and temperature of the crank battery.
Mine will run 12.7-12.8 once it's been driven a while

Doesn't matter. The batteries are charged the same no matter what.
ESS has no real impact on battery life or charging.
Turning ESS off only makes you feel better, not the truck or batteries.

My 2022 is behaving like it should voltage-wise. It makes sense and voltages are what I'd expect to see.
Above 14 if it has been sitting a couple of days and you can watch it increment down as it's been driven and if driven quite a bit, the voltage on the dash stays under 13 most of the time. It does go up to 13.1 or 13.2 when you have been traveling at some speed and then let off quickly - the voltage jumps up then - likely because it senses no load on the engine, no need to conserve energy so it kicks the voltage back up.

4-Play

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
My truck will often sit for a week at a time so, just wondering if I should scrap the aux battery and do something like the Genesis system or just live with it.

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My truck will often sit for a week at a time so, just wondering if I should scrap the aux battery and do something like the Genesis system or just live with it.
Live with what? Are you seeing problems?
Your choice, of course, but if you aren't having trouble, why spend the crazy Genesis price?
Depends on how you use - or don't use - your truck.

4-Play

First Name
Sherman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTR
Live with what? Are you seeing problems?
Your choice, of course, but if you aren't having trouble, why spend the crazy Genesis price?
Not seeing any problems at all. I have had zero issues until today when I found my cv joint boot on the right front axle had split and was spewing grease. I just end up going down numerous rabbit holes on this forum. I have learned a lot and really appreciate your knowledge. I haven’t worked on cars professionally since the early 90’s but it is still hard to resist the urge to chase down a moving Snap-on truck.😎

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
90XJ, 91XJ, 91MJ, 05 LJ, 20 JT
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Bill I've got a few questions for you if you have some time. I'll P.M. you about it. So I don't crud up a thread with O. T. stuff.

Sponsored

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW

I had my JT evaluated at the dealer today thinking maybe my alternator was bad. Every this is fine and they printed out the bulletin regarding battery voltage I found interesting.

@ShadowsPapa

B9008F77-95CF-4567-A40D-9C4A72014265.jpeg

556D7A8A-AD8E-438F-B6E5-F50DFC649448.jpeg

B2F1AD4A-A35F-4C2B-B281-8AB5F04F5705.jpeg

54F5C747-D775-42FF-8F9C-2C9F008367BB.jpeg

OP
OP
ShadowsPapa

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
FWIW

I had my JT evaluated at the dealer today thinking maybe my alternator was bad. Every this is fine and they printed out the bulletin regarding battery voltage I found interesting.

@ShadowsPapa

Jeep Gladiator Your battery voltage - truck off and at rest 54F5C747-D775-42FF-8F9C-2C9F008367BB

Jeep Gladiator Your battery voltage - truck off and at rest 54F5C747-D775-42FF-8F9C-2C9F008367BB

Yeah, got that one after seeing my 2020 drop down to 12.6 while driving - that's why I suggest that if things are otherwise ok, don't sweat low voltage while driving.

I saw 12.6 or so on the way back from CO last summer.

My 2022 starts out at around 14 if it's been sitting a day, then settles down to 13 to upper 12s after driving a while. This one is working exactly as designed and the batteries are staying up.

Jeep Gladiator Your battery voltage - truck off and at rest 1659048399251

I caught it at 12.7 for this pic on the way back from CO. We were doing about 80 mph on the interstate -> (someone can figure exactly where we were by these coordinates LOL)

Jeep Gladiator Your battery voltage - truck off and at rest 1659048665316

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, got that one after seeing my 2020 drop down to 12.6 while driving - that's why I suggest that if things are otherwise ok, don't sweat low voltage while driving.

I saw 12.6 or so on the way back from CO last summer.

My 2022 starts out at around 14 if it's been sitting a day, then settles down to 13 to upper 12s after driving a while. This one is working exactly as designed and the batteries are staying up.

I caught it at 12.7 for this pic on the way back from CO. We were doing about 80 mph on the interstate -> (someone can figure exactly where we were by these coordinates LOL)

makes me feel better to know this is more normal that I anticipated. I was used to always seeing 14 -14.8 all the time. I guess a PCM or ECM update changed that in my 2020.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Just pulled out my OEM aux14 and replaced it with a die hard platinum from the local auto store. Multimeter reading on the old battery 12.3.

2021 JTR V6 Auto.
Sponsored