Sponsored

Your steering is not loose. Rant warning.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Rubicon, ‘13 Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad
Here’s my two cents. I had a TJ on 35s with factory steering and I wheeled it for 5 years all over the southeast. We test drove a stock JLU Rubicon in 2018 when they first hit the lots and my first thought was “Wow, this thing drives like shit.”

Still placed a factory order, and currently own a 2018 JLU Rubicon with 22,000 miles. I can confirm that it’s the vehicle, not the tires. I have run the stock BFG KO2 tires at different increments from 26 to 37 and the steering does not change. It requires way too many corrections to track properly.

I had 4 different sets of tires on that TJ, and was very in tune with the vehicle. I also loaned it out to family and friends many times and not once was anyone calling to say “is this thing ok?” Yet I’ve gotten that with anyone who has gotten behind the wheel of the JL.

It’s not just a “Jeep” or solid axle issue with the JL/JT but something between the steering box and the electro-hydraulic system. It’s just not a natural feeling and for a lot of people, they are not comfortable driving it. You could say that’s a Jeep thing, but I would argue that a JL should drive better than a TJ and not undeniably worse.

Some JL guys have praised the Synergy sector shaft brace which would solve any sector shaft play that has been mentioned.
Sponsored

Bob502000

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Bunch of Einsteins, say what?

Armyman247

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator overland
I just sitting here waiting for someone to tell me how much 30psi of air weighs???? LMAO

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
I will agree 100% that larger tires need various pressures. LT vs. P rated tires also require various pressures due to construction. That's simple science.

I won't agree that tire pressure has a damned thing to do with the wander problem, and I know this because I ran my pressures up and down from 28 to 50 PSI on my JLU just to prove to people that it made zero difference. A mechanical issue is a mechanical issue. My JLU had a problem, and it took a dealer service visit to solve it. Tire pressure will affect a lot of things, but a vehicle with electronic steering that has the wrong calibrations loaded isn't one of them.
You pretty much summed it up. Blanket statements don't work - pick a tire size and the needed PSI may be different than a different tire of the same height. There's more to it. Yes. And from what I've read, you've done your tire research and still are doing it. Good.

I also prefer scientific troubleshooting as opposed to tossing stuff against a wall to see what sticks.
I'm heavy in perceptual reasoning for my methods.
I also rely on formal experience and not just hitting every possible piece until you stumble upon the issue, and I don't like band-aids.
From messages I've had, I know at least a few agree.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
I’m still trying to understand how you diagnose every loose steering issue sitting behind a keyboard.

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
I’m still trying to understand how you diagnose every loose steering issue sitting behind a keyboard.
I haven't been proven wrong yet.
Show me a chalk test, 1/8th toe in,(using a tape measure not an alignment machine), and caster set between 6 and 7 deg on the driver side and if it's still loose I'll concede.

Lots of complaints but no one else is attempting to help fix this shit.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Years of experience, gather all of the detailed information, logic, troubleshooting techniques.
When you do something day after day for decades.......... and are college and factory trained in the engineering, it helps.
Can come close. There's only so many things that actually cause the LOOSE steering.
I get messages every week from around the country asking me to help with automotive problems.
But normally you need hands on to narrow it down to the last degree.
Look up perceptual reasoning. I have a very high PR score and excel at problem and puzzle solving, rated "superior" in those areas.
I finished high school in 3 years instead of 4 and got to skip college math - I had taken it in HS.
Please don't assume all people are alike in abilities, skills, etc. and that things don't exist because you don't see or "get" them.

Sponsored

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I haven't been proven wrong yet.
Show me a chalk test, 1/8th toe in,(using a tape measure not an alignment machine), and caster set between 6 and 7 deg on the driver side and if it's still loose I'll concede.

Lots of complaints but no one else is attempting to help fix this shit.
Just wondering how you want me to set the caster on a stock rubi? I got everything else checked.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Just wondering how you want me to set the caster on a stock rubi? I got everything else checked.
Caster is stability.
Loose steering where there's 2" play is different. If it's unstable, it's unstable. But loose steering is a problem even in a vehicle with good settings. The wheel moves too far before the vehicle responds. Several other threads we've come to this conclusion.
The videos and other detailed descriptions show it's necessary to move the wheel, like the driving scene in a TV show or movie.

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
Hey is this the thread about the air pressure exerted by a bunch of damned windbags? How about a rant about that? You dudes made me update my checklist and I'm not happy about it. Used to be one thing. Drink and smoke plenty and don't ever go to the doctor. Check. Now it's Don't listen to the tire guys. Check. Avoid scientific explanations.check. hang out with bros who laugh first and know shit when it counts (may or may not be doctors, scientists, tire guys - depends on the windbag under pressure...:CWL::CWL::LOL::CWL::CWL: ). Check.

Here's a comment dog and a sign for your garage:

aerodynamics-zero-f-s-given-since-1941-thats-the-way-i-368432.png

735ab6874420d6c5a9f94ffe54f5e777.jpg

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I've been trying to help for weeks, even got things narrowed down for a couple of people. However, I'm done.
Let the self-proclaimed expert who has said here he's never been proven wrong (and who instantly went on the attack) help everyone.
Some folks hate it when someone happens to know as much, maybe more at times, or have differing ideas and methods and they start name calling, and blasting away, not using logical arguments, sort of like some politicians today do when they have no factual debate lines left.
So, I'm done with this steering issue.
Now everyone has the expert who has never been proven wrong to help them all out.
I'll keep working with those who have messaged me on the steering issue, and with other issues.
I get enough requests for help from other forums to keep me busy anyway.
Since he's never been wrong - you are in great hands and we know that he'll find the solution for each with a steering issue.
We all know now it's a matter of tire inflation and caster - so go get it fixed and quit complaining, eh?
I can't say I've never been wrong. Sorry, it's happened, I have been wrong and will likely continue to do so now and then.

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
You didn't check toe yourself or do a chalk test. Quit expecting people to do things right and take responsibility for your own vehicle and maintenance.

Use a tape measure not some stupid machine with an minimum wage minimum effort tech running it.

Set it to 1/8th

Do a chalk test
Get a full contact patch and note the psi.
You don't want to go over 3or4 psi higher when the tires are hot. If it does start at 1 psi below your full contact pressure and keep an eye on it.

Or continue to bitch about it online it seems to be getting it fixed for ya.
Sponsored