Sponsored

Your steering is not loose. Rant warning.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
You didn't check toe yourself or do a chalk test. Quit expecting people to do things right and take responsibility for your own vehicle and maintenance.

Use a tape measure not some stupid machine with an minimum wage minimum effort tech running it.

Set it to 1/8th

Do a chalk test
Get a full contact patch and note the psi.
You don't want to go over 3or4 psi higher when the tires are hot. If it does start at 1 psi below your full contact pressure and keep an eye on it.

Or continue to bitch about it online it seems to be getting it fixed for ya.
You seem to have tripped over your own arrogance with this one.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
The amount of arrogance and assumption in this thread is staggering.

For those of you with real steering box issues that will never be addressed by tire pressure or alignment settings, I hope you are properly assisted by the dealer and it is resolved. For the rest of you, I wish you happy caulking and toeing!

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
The amount of arrogance and assumption in this thread is staggering.

For those of you with real steering box issues that will never be addressed by tire pressure or alignment settings, I hope you are properly assisted by the dealer and it is resolved. For the rest of you, I wish you happy caulking and toeing!
As do I.

For those who would rather bitch than take the 10 minutes these checks take enjoy getting your steering box replaced just to come back and bitch when that loose steering is still present.... I tried.

Fact is the likely hood of a bad steering box this early in a vehicle is rare especially when that steering has been in use since 2014 on the Grand Cherokee. Could it happen... Yes. Is it likely.... No. Is it likely that all the people that have a bad box have flocked here to call me an arrogant ass... Also no. I may be an ass but I have still yet to see one of these complainers do a chalk test or set their toe themselves.

"BUT MY DEALER GAVE ME AN ALIGNMENT SHEET AND IT WAS ALL GREEN"
And again I've seen this numerous times and it is never right. Factory spec is roughly 1/16th with a +/- variable and if it's on the - side of that the truck will wander.

Hundreds of alignments on Jeeps over the course of a lifetime both racing and driving them has taught me they need 1/8th toe in.

And with that I'm done arguing with idiots.
If anyone wants help actually fixing their wandering issue shoot me a PM.

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
Fact is the likely hood of a bad steering box this early in a vehicle is rare especially when that steering has been in use since 2014 on the Grand Cherokee. Could it happen... Yes. Is it likely.... No.
And yet we have already had a recall on faulty driveshaft, oh and a bulletin issued for the JL steering (same steering) to replace the damper which I think is more band aid. But these are just 2 examples.

Sponsored

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
I posted this on one of the other threads, but this is my steering at about 60 mph. I've tried going down to as low as 26 psi with the same. This was taken today at 37 psi warm.

183C8A2E-63BB-4610-B0C0-480453B430AA.gif

5JeepsAz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 Kaiser-Willys Jeep Gladiator (SJ) 2dr long bed pickup truck
Build Thread
Link
For what it's worth, this is the best thread on here lately. Take it from someone who doesn't know. :like:

Scrubb84

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
I posted this on one of the other threads, but this is my steering at about 60 mph. I've tried going down to as low as 26 psi with the same. This was taken today at 37 psi warm.

183C8A2E-63BB-4610-B0C0-480453B430AA.gif
The air in FL must weigh different than the air up here in NY. That’s your issue. Lmao!

Gobi Wan K

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Gladiator
Occupation
Roller Coaster Tester
The air in FL must weigh different than the air up here in NY. That’s your issue. Lmao!
Well, if you paid any kind of attention in science class you would know that warm air (Florida) is substantially lighter than cold air (New England). That is what makes the balloons fly. :CWL:
So it is that cold New England air that weighs the tires down and keeps the steering straight :like:

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Helped 3 different people dial in their toe setting and psi today. One guy was sitting at 1/32nd toe in but the paper the dealer handed him said it was in spec and green. Other two landed at about 31 psi warm and their complaints of loose steering are gone. Factory Rubicons on one and 33s on overland 18s on another.

Make all the fun you want but 3 people are happy with their trucks again instead of grumbling about loose steering.
Has anyone got that supposed loose sector shaft fixed yet?

Sponsored

Factoid

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator 2019 Porsche Cayenne 1964 Corvette
Occupation
Performance Coach
No one is making fun of your desire to help or suggested solution. That is greatly appreciated.

It is your approach, style, choice of words, arrogance, distain for other perspectives, assumptions about others, and overall rejection of the observations and capabilities of other owners. Other than that, you are golden!

Reasons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KL Cherokee Trailhawk, JT Gladiator RUBICON
Occupation
Enabler
No one is making fun of your desire to help or suggested solution. That is greatly appreciated.

It is your approach, style, choice of words, arrogance, distain for other perspectives, assumptions about others, and overall rejection of the observations and capabilities of other owners. Other than that, you are golden!
Well said.

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Noted and my apologies. Was never meant to dismiss the capabilities of others only as a PSA for the hundreds of people who are jumping on the "Jeep steering sucks let's sue" bandwagon when the only issue was lack of understanding. Im not generally an ass altho I have an abrasive streak. Can I blame it on being a bit frustrated at the time cause I had been doing this battle round and round with another guy before even getting on my rant.

The guy claiming to be suing Chrysler over his loose steering..... Well his Jeep is driving fine now. Finally listened to me and took his 37s down to 26cold and it acted better. Still flighty. Finally convinced him to measure his toe in with a tape measure. It was out of spec.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME

The guy claiming to be suing Chrysler over his loose steering..... Well his Jeep is driving fine now. Finally listened to me and took his 37s down to 26cold and it acted better. Still flighty. Finally convinced him to measure his toe in with a tape measure. It was out of spec.
Now THAT'S funny :CWL:

Glad you guys got it figured out. I'm also convinced that my issue is a combination of a variety of factors. Most specifically re-checking factory torque values associated to front suspension/steering, the alignment, and tire pressures. I've tinkered with the pressures with no real improvement. With how the Jeep reacts to my input, the axle system feels loose and reactions are almost bound up. Kind of as if a mount is loose (as bad as that sounds). Hoping for some alignment issues and call it a day!

OP
OP
Oscar Indy

Oscar Indy

First Name
Oscar
Threads
Reaction score
Website
offmapoverland.com
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Now THAT'S funny :CWL:

Glad you guys got it figured out. I'm also convinced that my issue is a combination of a variety of factors. Most specifically re-checking factory torque values associated to front suspension/steering, the alignment, and tire pressures. I've tinkered with the pressures with no real improvement. With how the Jeep reacts to my input, the axle system feels loose and reactions are almost bound up. Kind of as if a mount is loose (as bad as that sounds). Hoping for some alignment issues and call it a day!

There was an issue with the JK that might have carried over. They used threaded bolts in the track and control arms. That made for some slop there because the teeth where not same diameter as the holes. We replaced them all with shoulder bolts and that helped immensely. Might be a consideration on these too.
Sponsored