Sponsored

Water fording depth - Update

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was taught many years ago that if you aren't willing to walk into it to check how deep it is, then its not worth crossing.

To a large degree I still think that's right. Though I have very little off road experience compared to many of you. It seems a reasonable thing to do. Better to get a bit wet than to destroy your truck.

Obviously if you can watch someone else go in first, its the best of all worlds. You learn how deep the water is and you stay dry.
Sponsored

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
On my 06 LJR, the differential vents were raised as others have said. I live in Houston, where we have flooding a lot, and so I really focus on fording capacity. I found that the transfer case vent was just sitting on top of the bell housing, so I raised it and the transmission vent to the top of the firewall. It made no sense to me that they raised the differential vents and not the TC vent.

0B65D6DB-39CC-4F1C-888A-155C679CC7F5.jpeg
Can you take a pic of where the vent for the transfer and transmission case are?

OP
OP
PyrPatriot

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
What I wondee is that the engineers for this vehicle put a lot of good thought into the off reading aspects. They intentionally raised the transmission vent tube and diff tube. If they could have raised transfer case tube, and it looks to be a very easy thing to do, why didn't they? Perhaps there is a limitation in the case design that requires the short factory tube?

Marine2947

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Military
What I wondee is that the engineers for this vehicle put a lot of good thought into the off reading aspects. They intentionally raised the transmission vent tube and diff tube. If they could have raised transfer case tube, and it looks to be a very easy thing to do, why didn't they? Perhaps there is a limitation in the case design that requires the short factory tube?
Exactly. I think I’m just going to raise the transfer case and rear diff breather tubes. The front diff and trans breather tubes look in a good spot in mine already.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
What could possibly require a short "Tube" since the vent is at the end of the tube and in theory, it could be 10 feet long since a hose is not restrictive.

As far as engineers putting a lot of thought into.......... and raising the vent tube............
1980 AMC Eagle - rear differential vent tube is up inside the frame rail which would put it about level with the top of the tire or a bit higher.
Front differential vent tube is up on the left/driver side shock tower in the engine bay, a bit above the top of the front tire.
The transfer case vent was not extended for some reason, it's got a standard metal-capped vent on the tail shaft housing.

The front differential vent is right behind the windshield washer jug in this picture -

Jeep Gladiator Water fording depth - Update eng-bay-left-frnt

The transfer case has a standard vent - strange -

Jeep Gladiator Water fording depth - Update 1646585015819

Sponsored

jac04

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave, 2014 JKRX SWB
33" Wildpeak M/T.
Next time, try going just a little bit faster to build up a "bow wave". With a proper bow wave, even with the water at about 33" deep, the level should be at or slightly below the top of the side steps instead of up by the bottom door hinge.

I always feel like the proper "bow wave" speed through deep water is just a little faster than I think I should be going. However, I learned the technique during an off road driving course many years ago.

I've had my JK with a 2" lift and true 33" tires (255/80/17) through 36" of water with a good bow wave, and the water level at the rockers was a good 10" to 12" lower than the actual water level.

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
We're in another semi-drought again, no puddles, even streams and rivers are low. If I were to find an area like that it would be nice to finally wash the salt and slime from the county off the bottom.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A trickle by the door on the floor of the shotgun rear passenger.
Do you have the sill protectors and if so, is it related or unrelated, in your thinking? Some say those cause just enough of a distortion of the door gasket to cause a tiny trickle.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Do you have the sill protectors and if so, is it related or unrelated, in your thinking? Some say those cause just enough of a distortion of the door gasket to cause a tiny trickle.
I have the Mopar sill protectors that are affixed under the door, not affecting the door gasket.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Delivery Driver
Next time, try going just a little bit faster to build up a "bow wave". With a proper bow wave, even with the water at about 33" deep, the level should be at or slightly below the top of the side steps instead of up by the bottom door hinge.
Doesn't work so well without doors...
Sponsored