Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
2024 JTR, Bright White AT; 2022 JTR MT (traded)
Occupation
geoarchaeologist (retired)
Anyone who's banking on solar for life sustaining power needs to take a good hard look at the year of 1816.
Seems like a really long time ago, but it's a geological millisecond in reality.
1601, 1783, and 1883 were a few others not that long ago.
Volcanic ash probably isn't that great for wind turbines either, given how much respect airlines give it.
As a geologist I don’t follow the logic here.
Sponsored

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
The only one that looks good is the one NA is not getting. I still believe if we are going to replace gas for another source Hydrogen will be that option. BEVs just make no sense when they are compared to the gas version. It costs more to own a BEV, it costs more to drive 100k miles in a BEV, the cost of the vehicle is normally way more then a comparable gas version and they are worse on the environment to get the material to build.

The Recon looks to be a similar idea of the Bronco Sport to the Bronco. At least they didn't call it a Wrangler. Why does the Wagoneer need to be completely redesigned in looks for an BEV? Just use the existing looks and add a battery pack under the floor. I like the boxier look of the current versus the swoops of the rendering.
You have data/sources to back those claims? I’ve been hearing that BEV in the long run is cheaper? And lost longer?

BourbonRunner

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Money Pit
Occupation
Foole
A lot of people keep talking about 'charging at home'.

It's almost like they're completely ignorant that millions park their cars on the street because they live in apartments. Gonna be 1000 extension cords on every main street?

I wish hybrids were still developed. They've given up on them and they are truly the most useful. Pure EVs suck.
Exactly my issue with it. What happens in older cities with rowhomes where people park on streets? It will cost billions annually to retrofit infrastructure. And disrupt literally every neighborhood in the country in the process, too. Not just older East Coast cities.

Hybrids were the best option. The range and efficiency is there.

BTW: I'm a real estate agent and chair our local board of Realtors legislative committee. I'm dealing with this on an almost daily basis.

Lots of zoning boards are however looking at and making EV infrastructure a component of new construction permits. That's a net good thing but in practice its not working well. Problem is a lot are looking at banning gas in new construction. Bad idea.

I'm in a work session with local government next week on permitting for the gas ban. Should be interesting.

BTT: Recon looks decent and the Wagoneer looks like Jeep is aiming square for Range Rover Sport level refinement instead of muscle car.

Sponsored

JoeInOh

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Model 3 & 2022 Willys Gladiator
Occupation
Firefighter/paramedic
Recon - I'm in! Great commuter car for my wife. Her Tesla Model 3 will be 6 years old by then - it has 42k miles on it now ( oh btw, no maintenance done to it all and in Ohio it costs about $25/month to drive about 15k miles/yr. ) I'm not a tree hugger or climate change freak, I wouldn't care if the damned thing ran on ground up kittens. I just like electric vehicles, they work for my family and our needs. My $.02

NachoRuby

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR , '18 JLU, 73 VW Bug, 97 VW Jetta, all MTs
A lot of people keep talking about 'charging at home'.

It's almost like they're completely ignorant that millions park their cars on the street because they live in apartments. Gonna be 1000 extension cords on every main street?
Completely aware. That's why I said in the right home, with the right commute

Joe Gladiator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
no thanks, up here they use the gas tax to maintain roads wait until they have to increase or tax more the price of electricity to upkeep the roads ....

Sponsored

N8Marsh

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Silverado V8 5MT Reg Cab LB
Occupation
Engineer
Recon - I'm in!.... I wouldn't care if the damned thing ran on ground up kittens...
Got a good chuckle out of me.

I think this will be a big hit. All those top-end trims are sold because people like the look of a Wrangler and want to remove the doors. This vehicle would satisfy that market and have some semblance of EV efficiency.

MajorUrsus

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
IT Professional
Not bad at all. If I ever start commuting for work again, I’d consider it as a second vehicle.
That was my thoughts as well. It depends on the cost and capabilities, but it looks like it would make a pretty decent commuter.

amoyer_01

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Willys
You have data/sources to back those claims? I’ve been hearing that BEV in the long run is cheaper? And lost longer?
Sure I can give you this as a comparison between my Gladiator and a Rivian R1T.

$66.5 to drive 300 miles is 22 cents per mile. My Gladiator averages 18.0 miles per gallon, @ $3.50 per gallon (my cost today) that’s 22 cents per mile.

Fuel cost for my Gladiator to drive 100,000 miles = $22,166@ $3.50

Fuel cost to drive Rivian R1T 135 kWh 100,000 miles =
1 kWh @ 0.15 (my true cost based on my bills)
Charging from 20% to 100% will take 10 hours 55 mins @ 11kW and costs $18
$18.0 to drive 300 miles is 06 cents per mile.
Cost for a R1T to drive 100,000 miles = $6,000@ $0.06

According to many articles the average ev battery life is 100,000 miles, with a replacement cost of $25,000 that’s $4.00/mile.

$6,000 in charging
$25,000 in battery replacement
Thats $31,000 in cost to drive a BEV 100k miles

Then you have the cost of the truck. The Rivian will cost $98,500 (based on the website configuration) to buy, (no taxes or fees) we can omit these as I didn’t pay them on my Gladiator. My Willys cost me $35,873 out the door I attached the proof). You have a delta of $62,627 to deal with out the gate.

For driving 100,000 miles the Rivian will cost me $8,834 more if just looking at the charging and battery replacement cost versus my fueling costs. I will not be spending that much in maintenance costs for 100,000 miles. Oil changes will only cost me $1,400 @ $70. This is based on 5,000 miles, I am closer to 10,000 miles an oil change. Now add in the cost of the difference in truck costs; that is now $71,461 to drive a R1T more then it does for me to drive my Gladiator.

Sure if you want to only look at charging cost versus gas cost to drive 100k miles, yes an BEV is less. That cost has my Gladiator in the hole by $16,166 but that is extremely short sided for many many reason.

I dont need an article (another persons opinion) to tell me its not worth it yet. Just look at the charging time to go from 20% to 100% that is just a sliver shy of 11 hours. It takes me 5 minutes to fill up from empty to full (call it 5% to 100%). I will always trust facts over an article written to sway me one way or the other. I can also provide insight from people who have owned BEVs and they dont say it saves any money, they just thought they were "cool".

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Charging.JPG

Gladiator.JPG

Geoarch

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
swxrflab.net
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Sure I can give you this as a comparison between my Gladiator and a Rivian R1T.

$66.5 to drive 300 miles is 22 cents per mile. My Gladiator averages 18.0 miles per gallon, @ $3.50 per gallon (my cost today) that’s 22 cents per mile.

Fuel cost for my Gladiator to drive 100,000 miles = $22,166@ $3.50

Fuel cost to drive Rivian R1T 135 kWh 100,000 miles =
1 kWh @ 0.15 (my true cost based on my bills)
Charging from 20% to 100% will take 10 hours 55 mins @ 11kW and costs $18
$18.0 to drive 300 miles is 06 cents per mile.
Cost for a R1T to drive 100,000 miles = $6,000@ $0.06

According to many articles the average ev battery life is 100,000 miles, with a replacement cost of $25,000 that’s $4.00/mile.

$6,000 in charging
$25,000 in battery replacement
Thats $31,000 in cost to drive a BEV 100k miles

Then you have the cost of the truck. The Rivian will cost $98,500 (based on the website configuration) to buy, (no taxes or fees) we can omit these as I didn’t pay them on my Gladiator. My Willys cost me $35,873 out the door I attached the proof). You have a delta of $62,627 to deal with out the gate.

For driving 100,000 miles the Rivian will cost me $8,834 more if just looking at the charging and battery replacement cost versus my fueling costs. I will not be spending that much in maintenance costs for 100,000 miles. Oil changes will only cost me $1,400 @ $70. This is based on 5,000 miles, I am closer to 10,000 miles an oil change. Now add in the cost of the difference in truck costs; that is now $71,461 to drive a R1T more then it does for me to drive my Gladiator.

Sure if you want to only look at charging cost versus gas cost to drive 100k miles, yes an BEV is less. That cost has my Gladiator in the hole by $16,166 but that is extremely short sided for many many reason.

I dont need an article (another persons opinion) to tell me its not worth it yet. Just look at the charging time to go from 20% to 100% that is just a sliver shy of 11 hours. It takes me 5 minutes to fill up from empty to full (call it 5% to 100%). I will always trust facts over an article written to sway me one way or the other. I can also provide insight from people who have owned BEVs and they dont say it saves any money, they just thought they were "cool".

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Jeep Gladiator ⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Revealed! [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Gladiator.JPG

Jeep Gladiator ⚡️ 2024 Jeep Recon EV Revealed! [ADMIN WARNING: NO POLITICS] Gladiator.JPG

Yup. Additional considerations no one seems to talk about.

1. Battery degradation. I'm positive it does not maintain 100% capacity it's entire 100k mile life, and then abruptly stop working. So your cost/mile will increase with degradation.

2. What's your time worth? I see people mentioning that they can get a "quick boost" from 20-80% over 40 minutes while they do other things, like make phone calls or whatever. I can also do those things, but while continuing to drive wherever I'm going. Also, not everyone's productivity is s tied to their phones. What about the blue collar guy who isn't making any money unless he's actually on the job.

3. The whole concept of eventually moving everyone towards a BEV is condescending AF. There are a multitude of situations where these things just aren't going to work for someone.

4. This whole push towards EV is for a whopping 2% of carbon emissions. That's how much vehicles contribute to the whole situation.
Sponsored