Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I actually like all of the vehicles revealed today, except for the current Wagoneer. The Wagoneer S styling is great but the price is probably going to be north of $100K. The Avenger could actually have a market here in the US if they would only bring it. It's not an off roading Wrangler but it certainly beats a Nissan Leaf! The Recon does look like a Bronco but that's OK. I like it. It's acceptance by the Wrangler crowd is not likely unless it really has rock climbing capability and can be lifted and modified. If it has 4 wheel independent suspension then getting it lifted could be a challenge. Now if they could only make a Gladiator 4Xe that doesn't sacrifice towing!
I'm hoping for a 4xe Gladiator, with the current trailer I can't give up towing range with a full electric. Until the self propelled unit from the Estream prototype becomes more mainstream, I don't think EV towing will be viable for distances.
Sponsored

Fcmalie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2021 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
Its
Sure I can give you this as a comparison between my Gladiator and a Rivian R1T.

$66.5 to drive 300 miles is 22 cents per mile. My Gladiator averages 18.0 miles per gallon, @ $3.50 per gallon (my cost today) that’s 22 cents per mile.

Fuel cost for my Gladiator to drive 100,000 miles = $22,166@ $3.50

Fuel cost to drive Rivian R1T 135 kWh 100,000 miles =
1 kWh @ 0.15 (my true cost based on my bills)
Charging from 20% to 100% will take 10 hours 55 mins @ 11kW and costs $18
$18.0 to drive 300 miles is 06 cents per mile.
Cost for a R1T to drive 100,000 miles = $6,000@ $0.06

According to many articles the average ev battery life is 100,000 miles, with a replacement cost of $25,000 that’s $4.00/mile.

$6,000 in charging
$25,000 in battery replacement
Thats $31,000 in cost to drive a BEV 100k miles

Then you have the cost of the truck. The Rivian will cost $98,500 (based on the website configuration) to buy, (no taxes or fees) we can omit these as I didn’t pay them on my Gladiator. My Willys cost me $35,873 out the door I attached the proof). You have a delta of $62,627 to deal with out the gate.

For driving 100,000 miles the Rivian will cost me $8,834 more if just looking at the charging and battery replacement cost versus my fueling costs. I will not be spending that much in maintenance costs for 100,000 miles. Oil changes will only cost me $1,400 @ $70. This is based on 5,000 miles, I am closer to 10,000 miles an oil change. Now add in the cost of the difference in truck costs; that is now $71,461 to drive a R1T more then it does for me to drive my Gladiator.

Sure if you want to only look at charging cost versus gas cost to drive 100k miles, yes an BEV is less. That cost has my Gladiator in the hole by $16,166 but that is extremely short sided for many many reason.

I dont need an article (another persons opinion) to tell me its not worth it yet. Just look at the charging time to go from 20% to 100% that is just a sliver shy of 11 hours. It takes me 5 minutes to fill up from empty to full (call it 5% to 100%). I will always trust facts over an article written to sway me one way or the other. I can also provide insight from people who have owned BEVs and they dont say it saves any money, they just thought they were "cool".

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Charging.JPG

Gladiator.JPG
a good thing the Rivian battery warranty is 175k miles, so your 100,000 mile cost is off a bit.

Chocolyle

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTR Sarge Green MT
Occupation
Technical Sales / Security
Cost to replace an engine?

Cost to replace a battery pack in say a tesla? $28k, just out of warranty. There is also a story of a person in CT who bought an electric car, used at a good price. She found out soon after that the battery needed to be replaced, $14k, she paid $24k for the car.

Of course they have better battery technology being studied and tested right now, but we don't have the power to charge them now and there is nothing being built to increase that, no big plans in the works. Nuclear would solve that, but A: NIMBY B: Minimum of 10 years to get it online because of current regulations. There are some cool concepts being studied of micro nuclear power generators that would be at your house or locally, they are self contained, sometimes deep in the ground. Meaning if they fail or go bad they just stop working, no radiation, no melt down but they could be a very good option and only a few months to get online once built.

These electric cars, lawn mowers, trimmers etc are all going to be in the landfill at a shorter life span. Cheaper to replace the whole unit than to buy new batteries. My last push mower lasted me 25 years, still ran perfect the deck rusted out.

Jeep, really nice concepts. Unfortunately we are going to do this the hard way and have to choose between heat/AC or stay home.

Maybe if we are lucky we can drive some where based on odd or even numbers on our license plates.

RJinPV

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JT Rubicon, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired
I'm hoping for a 4xe Gladiator, with the current trailer I can't give up towing range with a full electric. Until the self propelled unit from the Estream prototype becomes more mainstream, I don't think EV towing will be viable for distances.
I know what you mean. When I say Gladiator 4Xe I mean the PHEV design in the current Wrangler or Grand Cherokee (a bigger battery would be nice). The GC 4Xe can tow 6000 lbs so the Gladiator version should be able to at least that. According to a Moparinsider article the Gladiator 4Xe is coming in 2024.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tupacshakur

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JT
I will keep it simple. The Recon is not a terrible looking vehicle, but I will never own one.

I will continue to support the internal combustion engine as long as I possibly can. Nothing to debate.
Ooohh the petromasculinity on this one is palpable

ttn333

First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Cost to replace an engine?

Cost to replace a battery pack in say a tesla? $28k, just out of warranty. There is also a story of a person in CT who bought an electric car, used at a good price. She found out soon after that the battery needed to be replaced, $14k, she paid $24k for the car.

Of course they have better battery technology being studied and tested right now, but we don't have the power to charge them now and there is nothing being built to increase that, no big plans in the works. Nuclear would solve that, but A: NIMBY B: Minimum of 10 years to get it online because of current regulations. There are some cool concepts being studied of micro nuclear power generators that would be at your house or locally, they are self contained, sometimes deep in the ground. Meaning if they fail or go bad they just stop working, no radiation, no melt down but they could be a very good option and only a few months to get online once built.

These electric cars, lawn mowers, trimmers etc are all going to be in the landfill at a shorter life span. Cheaper to replace the whole unit than to buy new batteries. My last push mower lasted me 25 years, still ran perfect the deck rusted out.

Jeep, really nice concepts. Unfortunately we are going to do this the hard way and have to choose between heat/AC or stay home.

Maybe if we are lucky we can drive some where based on odd or even numbers on our license plates.
back-to-future-ii-mr-fusion-home-energy-reactor-replica-2.jpg

amoyer_01

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Willys
Its

a good thing the Rivian battery warranty is 175k miles, so your 100,000 mile cost is off a bit.
It is actually 8 years or 175k miles. Unless it is a business vehicle I don’t see it getting to 175k miles first. I used 100k because every search I have done showed the batteries have only been lasting an average of 100k. As I mentioned before you can expand it to 200k but it still doesn’t make it any better. Also as I have mentioned before I like Rivian but I do not see BEVs being the solution. Hydrogen I believe is the future, just not sure how it fairs for towing. To me there are more negatives to BEVs then positives.

j.o.y.ride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Gladiator Overland
Bought another new battery for my cordless hedge trimmer and leaf blower yesterday because by the end of year two they'll only run about 5 minutes on a full charge.

Pretty much every cordless rechargeable thing I have is like that.

Then there's the underpowered grid nightmares of Texas and California that make you wonder why they keep pushing EVs when they don't have enough power to run the ACs.

For now I'll keep pumping and enjoying longer drives interrupted by five minute refills.

Just call me Jedediah 🤷🏻‍♂️
Don't lump us in with that Texas shit show! We had a historic heat wave and never turned off the power. We had extra power supplies on tap that never even needed to be used. We were fine.

ezekio3160

First Name
Ezekiel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon
Sure I can give you this as a comparison between my Gladiator and a Rivian R1T.

$66.5 to drive 300 miles is 22 cents per mile. My Gladiator averages 18.0 miles per gallon, @ $3.50 per gallon (my cost today) that’s 22 cents per mile.

Fuel cost for my Gladiator to drive 100,000 miles = $22,166@ $3.50

Fuel cost to drive Rivian R1T 135 kWh 100,000 miles =
1 kWh @ 0.15 (my true cost based on my bills)
Charging from 20% to 100% will take 10 hours 55 mins @ 11kW and costs $18
$18.0 to drive 300 miles is 06 cents per mile.
Cost for a R1T to drive 100,000 miles = $6,000@ $0.06

According to many articles the average ev battery life is 100,000 miles, with a replacement cost of $25,000 that’s $4.00/mile.

$6,000 in charging
$25,000 in battery replacement
Thats $31,000 in cost to drive a BEV 100k miles

Then you have the cost of the truck. The Rivian will cost $98,500 (based on the website configuration) to buy, (no taxes or fees) we can omit these as I didn’t pay them on my Gladiator. My Willys cost me $35,873 out the door I attached the proof). You have a delta of $62,627 to deal with out the gate.

For driving 100,000 miles the Rivian will cost me $8,834 more if just looking at the charging and battery replacement cost versus my fueling costs. I will not be spending that much in maintenance costs for 100,000 miles. Oil changes will only cost me $1,400 @ $70. This is based on 5,000 miles, I am closer to 10,000 miles an oil change. Now add in the cost of the difference in truck costs; that is now $71,461 to drive a R1T more then it does for me to drive my Gladiator.

Sure if you want to only look at charging cost versus gas cost to drive 100k miles, yes an BEV is less. That cost has my Gladiator in the hole by $16,166 but that is extremely short sided for many many reason.

I dont need an article (another persons opinion) to tell me its not worth it yet. Just look at the charging time to go from 20% to 100% that is just a sliver shy of 11 hours. It takes me 5 minutes to fill up from empty to full (call it 5% to 100%). I will always trust facts over an article written to sway me one way or the other. I can also provide insight from people who have owned BEVs and they dont say it saves any money, they just thought they were "cool".

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Charging.JPG

Gladiator.JPG
Thanks for that info! Really appreciate that!

Sponsored

FMTrainmaster

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep JK unlimited. Soon to come 22 Gladiator
Occupation
Lead Aircraft Technician
Stop buying ryobi. Milwaukee batteries last for over a decade, with no loss in duration up until the very end. Quality matters.

Edit: I should have worded this more politely. I’m sick of false statements being thrown around to deter people from EV’s. You can’t compare a $75 yard tool to batteries in a vehicle. And how long your cordless tool batteries last depends on many variables, including how they’re stored and maintained. But there is also a huge difference in how long these batteries last, depending on quality. The other huge deterrent people throw around is the battery life and replacement cost on EV’s. No one remembers that this cost is offset by the nearly zero maintenance costs for around 100,000 miles. Tires are the biggest maintenance cost for the first 4 or 5 years.
something that I don’t see mentioned much at all is the performance of EV’s in cold weather locations, such as Colorado, Wyoming, ND, practically every state north of Georgia. What’s the range reduced to once you have to use some type of heat, defrosters and any other high draining accessories?

WILDHOBO

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Network Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
something that I don’t see mentioned much at all is the performance of EV’s in cold weather locations, such as Colorado, Wyoming, ND, practically every state north of Georgia. What’s the range reduced to once you have to use some type of heat, defrosters and any other high draining accessories?
Some loss of range, but nothing that makes them not viable. We have a plug-in in the mountains in CO. We’re at 8600 feet and get a lot of snow. It was just over 20 degrees last night. and do very well with it. One trick is to Remote start it while plugged in. The climate control acclimates using the ac power and then doesn’t severely affect range.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28696

Not sure I’d trust Jeep to get battery technologies right. I’ve had two sets of batteries die on me already in my 2021 JTR so I replaced them with full sized batteries with the Genesis system & so far so good.
Sponsored