Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91 ST185, 04 Ram SRT10, SC'd 05 Rubi, 22 JTRD
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure when the switch happened but I think it was late in the 21 model year... either way, early EcoDiesels in the Gladdy came standard with a block heater but the cord was an option. And for the 22 model year they come without a block heater, and it's not even a factory option. I have a 2022.

I live in MN and it gets pretty cold sometimes, plus I like to plug in to come out to a warm vehicle after work, so I ordered the Mopar block heater and did the install this weekend. Anyway, I didn't see a write up so here it is. Pretty straight forward:

Block Heater PN: 56044738AA
There's a Mopar block heater cord with shielding and zip ties it looks like, not sure of the part number for that... I just bought the basic cord from Geno's garage instead for half the price. I also got their plug cover, which you certainly want or the plug's going to end up completely iced over depending on where you put it.
Mopar MS.90032 OAT Coolant, 1 gallon concentrate: 68163848AB

Looking in just behind the shock tower on the passenger side, you can see the block heater plug. If you look in and see a red cap on it, then you already have the block heater. If it looks like it does here, it's just a plug. That unscrews, and your block heater screws in in it's place.
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_214235125

It looks like a 28mm socket would be the right size for removing the plug but I either don't have one or it's clunking around in a frame somewhere. I used a 1-1/8" socket and it worked fine. There's a heat shield directly above the plug that may require a bit of massaging to get the socket over the plug.

Getting to it from the top, or directly beneath, or behind, seemed almost impossible. Getting to it from the front seemed doable, especially if you jacked it up by the frame and drooped the axle for more room. I opted to go straight in from the side with a bunch of extensions. It's a large diameter thread, so it takes a bit of torque to break it loose. Coolant is going to go everywhere, be prepared.
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_221643271

Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_222112809

Block heater, comes with teflon tape applied:
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_221958636

Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_222003034

Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_222007145

Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_221932966

Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_221900534

I reached back through and threaded the new block heater in using a 15/16" socket.
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_222046334

Installed:
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_222849373

With cord:
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_232412305

Now I don't know the suggested routing for the factory cord, or how they used to route them when they were installed at the factory, but I chose to just run the Geno's cord along the top of the frame rail behind the shock tower, over the sway bar, and into the front bumper where I put a clamp to hold it in place on the backside of the bumper. This also kept it directly away from anything hot. I loosened the fender liner by pulling out the screws and some of the push clips to make the routing easier, but it's not required. And I left the plastic rivets in the trailing edge of the fender liner so I didn't have to mess around with those. If you chose to run it up by the battery, it would be easy to drop the cord down from the top and reach in to plug it in to the block heater without messing with the fender liner at all.
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_232436745

It took just under one gallon of mixed coolant to refill the coolant lost. That's half a gallon of the concentrate mixed with half a gallon of distilled water. Don't use tap water. Alternatively, you can also buy the coolant premixed. Concentrate is more cost effective, however. We'll be installing a block heater in a coworker's ecodiesel as well so one gallon of concentrate was the perfect amount. And, it's always good to have a bit on hand anyway.
Jeep Gladiator EcoDiesel Block Heater Installation PXL_20220929_233459363

Easy peasy.
Total spent: $98

I think I may go a step further and install a power inlet socket somewhere in the front. Maybe in the winch fairlead block off plate until I get around to installing a winch.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
Thank you......thank you.....thank you..... 😍
You answered a question I've been thinking about.

fourfa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD + ACCC
Build Thread
Link
Thanks very much for the detailed write-up

krweatherl

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
Occupation
Heavy Haul Truck Driver
Thank you This is great. I to have been debating whether or not to add a block heater. Here in the Pacific NW it rarely gets down into the low +teens, and mine lives in a garage every evening. Even so it looks relatively simple to add. Thanks again.

rharr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JTRD 3" RKK lift, (former) 95 XJ 5sp 8" lift
I'm not sure when the switch happened but I think it was late in the 21 model year... either way, early EcoDiesels in the Gladdy came standard with a block heater but the cord was an option. And for the 22 model year they come without a block heater, and it's not even a factory option. I have a 2022.

I live in MN and it gets pretty cold sometimes, plus I like to plug in to come out to a warm vehicle after work, so I ordered the Mopar block heater and did the install this weekend. Anyway, I didn't see a write up so here it is. Pretty straight forward:

There's a Mopar block heater cord with shielding and zip ties it looks like, not sure of the part number for that... I just bought the basic cord from Geno's garage instead for half the price. I also got their plug cover, which you certainly want or the plug's going to end up completely iced over depending on where you put it.

Looking in just behind the shock tower on the passenger side, you can see the block heater plug. If you look in and see a red cap on it, then you already have the block heater. If it looks like it does here, it's just a plug. That unscrews, and your block heater screws in in it's place.

It looks like a 28mm socket would be the right size for removing the plug but I either don't have one or it's clunking around in a frame somewhere. I used a 1-1/8" socket and it worked fine. There's a heat shield directly above the plug that may require a bit of massaging to get the socket over the plug.

Getting to it from the top, or directly beneath, or behind, seemed almost impossible. Getting to it from the front seemed doable, especially if you jacked it up by the frame and drooped the axle for more room. I opted to go straight in from the side with a bunch of extensions. It's a large diameter thread, so it takes a bit of torque to break it loose. Coolant is going to go everywhere, be prepared.

I reached back through and threaded the new block heater in using a 15/16" socket.

Installed:

With cord:

Now I don't know the suggested routing for the factory cord, or how they used to route them when they were installed at the factory, but I chose to just run the Geno's cord along the top of the frame rail behind the shock tower, over the sway bar, and into the front bumper where I put a clamp to hold it in place on the backside of the bumper. This also kept it directly away from anything hot. I loosened the fender liner by pulling out the screws and some of the push clips to make the routing easier, but it's not required. And I left the plastic rivets in the trailing edge of the fender liner so I didn't have to mess around with those. If you chose to run it up by the battery, it would be easy to drop the cord down from the top and reach in to plug it in to the block heater without messing with the fender liner at all.

It took just under one gallon of mixed coolant to refill the coolant lost. That's half a gallon of the concentrate mixed with half a gallon of distilled water. Don't use tap water. Alternatively, you can also buy the coolant premixed. Concentrate is more cost effective, however. We'll be installing a block heater in a coworker's ecodiesel as well so one gallon of concentrate was the perfect amount. And, it's always good to have a bit on hand anyway.

Easy peasy.

I think I may go a step further and install a power inlet socket somewhere in the front. Maybe in the winch fairlead block off plate until I get around to installing a winch.
Thanks for the heads up, sure enough my 6/2021 has a heater but not cable. For 20 bucks I'll install one even though I'll never need it.

Sponsored

Jimmy-

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon Diesel

Installed:

With cord:

Easy peasy.

Did you have to do anything special when adding the new coolant?

OP
OP
BlueScapegoat

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Did you have to do anything special when adding the new coolant?
Nope.

::Edit::
@Jimmy-
Sorry I misread your post when I woke up from my nap. I thought you had asked if I added anything special to the coolant.

I've only ever had vehicles that fill from the radiator, so I'm not sure what the proper procedure would be, but I just filled the reservoir then let it idle with the cap off to vent the air out and kept it topped off. Then took it for a spin and got it warm. Burped it by cracking the lid a couple times when it was warm (but not hot!) and All seems well.

I don't remember what the manual says ver batim but it's something along the lines of keep it topped off but if it's low take it to the dealership. So ymmv.

Last edited:

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I ordered the block heater today ($70 shipped) and should have it tomorrow. I'm going to drain the radiator into distilled water gallon jugs to reuse what coolant I can and top off any that may spill when swapping the blank for the heater.

Great write up and thanks!

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BlueScapegoat what did you torque the block heater to when installing? Just got it snug or a specific spec? Thanks!

OP
OP
BlueScapegoat

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
@BlueScapegoat what did you torque the block heater to when installing? Just got it snug or a specific spec? Thanks!
Given that it's such a large diameter thread and with the teflon on it, I just got it good and snug. A proper torque spec wouldn't be a bad idea, though. I just don't know what that would be.

Sponsored

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Installed the heater element this afternoon and it pissed all over even after purging the system. Excellent write up and the heat shield is a PITA.

When I backed out the plug it broke free at 30 ft. lb. so I torqued it to that spec.

The cord arrives tomorrow and I’ll route the cord and finish the project.

OP
OP
BlueScapegoat

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Installed the heater element this afternoon and it pissed all over even after purging the system. Excellent write up and the heat shield is a PITA.

When I backed out the plug it broke free at 30 ft. lb. so I torqued it to that spec.

The cord arrives tomorrow and I’ll route the cord and finish the project.
If it helps anybody else out, my trick for that heat shield is to stick a long pry bar in between the shield and the plug and just give it a twist to push the shielding up a bit. And a thinner walled socket helps, vs a cheaper thick walled impact socket.

Anyway, my coworker just came over and we did his block heater, another '22 Glad ecodiesel. Jeep was warm, the plug wasn't tight at all, nowhere near 30 lb-ft.

Meanwhile mine was, if I had to guess, 75+ lb-ft when I removed it cold.

Just worth noting.

Sandevino

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If it helps anybody else out, my trick for that heat shield is to stick a long pry bar in between the shield and the plug and just give it a twist to push the shielding up a bit. And a thinner walled socket helps, vs a cheaper thick walled impact socket.

Anyway, my coworker just came over and we did his block heater, another '22 Glad ecodiesel. Jeep was warm, the plug wasn't tight at all, nowhere near 30 lb-ft.

Meanwhile mine was, if I had to guess, 75+ lb-ft when I removed it cold.

Just worth noting.
I think it depends which Gorilla built the engine if you’ve got more or less torque on the blank.

OP
OP
BlueScapegoat

BlueScapegoat

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Air Traffic Controller
Vehicle Showcase
Had to leave my Jeep outside last night and it was going to be chilly so I plugged it in 5 hours before leaving work this morning to give it enough time to see what it would heat up to.

25°f/-4°c outside temp, 102°f/39°c coolant temp at start.

Rusty PW

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTRD, '11 370Z Nismo, '07 Honda VFR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Muff Diver
I'm still waiting for the block heater. Should be here this week. Already got the electric cord. I'm going to use a timer on the outlet for when I want to heat the motor.
Sponsored