Sponsored

Gladiator Diesel Bottoming Out Poll - Let’s get some numbers here.

If your Gladiator bottoms out on pothole/bumps, what model do you have?

• Total voters

Pwntiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTRD
Occupation
software developer
Just adding a data point, 22 jtrd built late Feb, not bottoming out at all
Sponsored

yrwins

First Name
Yrwins
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/a
Occupation
IT
Wow.
I have my rubicon diesel 2022 and it doesn’t bottoming out!
can I help you guy.
i pick it up in January and been driving it for 2000 miles.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
For anybody struggling with this, we have come up with two solutions for those not looking to install a full lift kit!

1) The first is our coils designed to keep the stock height of the vehicle, but provide a higher spring rate, therefore, eliminating bottoming out issues caused by the soft factory springs.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/prod...-jeep-gladiator-jt-05-lift-front-coil-springs

2) The second is for those looking to level out the front end of their vehicle, and also remove the bottoming out issues on their diesel JT. This is again accomplished using a higher spring rate coil, but this coil will add about 1.5" of lift in order to level out the front end, and also comes with the appropriate components to correct suspension geometry.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/product/jeep-gladiator-15-leveling-kit-2020-jt

Happy to answer any questions if anybody needs any help!

PackMule

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 SingGray JTRD, 2012 Dozer JK, 2014 GC
Occupation
InfoTech Retired
For anybody struggling with this, we have come up with two solutions for those not looking to install a full lift kit!

1) The first is our coils designed to keep the stock height of the vehicle, but provide a higher spring rate, therefore, eliminating bottoming out issues caused by the soft factory springs.

https://www.claytonoffroad.com/prod...-jeep-gladiator-jt-05-lift-front-coil-springs

2) The second is for those looking to level out the front end of their vehicle, and also remove the bottoming out issues on their diesel JT. This is again accomplished using a higher spring rate coil, but this coil will add about 1.5" of lift in order to level out the front end, and also comes with the appropriate components to correct suspension geometry.

@Clayton Off Road , what OEM shocks would you recommend with these two offerings? e.g. would the Rubicon TSB Fox shocks, or '22 vintage factory shocks (presumably with more damping than original 2021 factory shocks) be preferred ?

To anyone looking for a true fix at near factory height, and expect their JTD to work both on and off road like any other Jeep wrangler/gladiator should, I think one of these spring setups + the TBS springs/bumps is likely the best real fix.

Since I had a Moab trip in April I needed to be ready for, I "had to" go with their 2.5" lift, and I'm really satisfied with Clayton's overall engineering, quality products, service, and open communication!

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Clayton Off Road , what OEM shocks would you recommend with these two offerings? e.g. would the Rubicon TSB Fox shocks, or '22 vintage factory shocks (presumably with more damping than original 2021 factory shocks) be preferred ?

To anyone looking for a true fix at near factory height, and expect their JTD to work both on and off road like any other Jeep wrangler/gladiator should, I think one of these spring setups + the TBS springs/bumps is likely the best real fix.

Since I had a Moab trip in April I needed to be ready for, I "had to" go with their 2.5" lift, and I'm really satisfied with Clayton's overall engineering, quality products, service, and open communication!
Stock shocks work with both options, however with the 1.5" leveling kit you may choose to use some shock extensions up front :like:

james2021dieselglad

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Diesel
Whelp, goodbye Gladiator.

Second axle leak within 8 months of ownership and 7800 miles.

Still was bottoming out at 10 MPH and lower. Even going up my driveway at 5 MPH. Jeep really screwed over their customers. After not getting anywhere with the bottoming out problem I gave up. The bottoming out and the two axle leaks, werent the only issues.

I had to trade it in. My 2021 diesel sport S sold three days ago for $44,000. Traded it in for my 2022 $45,000 ZR2. The Chevy ZR2 with lockers front and rear, electric front seats, heated front seats, automatic transmission, and 308 HP. The Colorado ZR2 comes standard with a more advanced 4×4 system than the Rubicon that includes full-time as well as part-time settings. Further, the ZR2 can lock its rear differential while in 4-Hi, while the Gladiator Rubicon can only engage its locking differentials in 4-Lo. Finally, the ZR2 has a shorter wheelbase and superior breakover angle. Mind you, I had a Gladiator Diesel sport S. The only thing my ZR2 lost is push button start (Still has remote start) and an integrated garage door opener. I gained a whole ton of off-road capability out of the box compared to my loss.

Now I loved my Gladiator and if it wasn't for the persistent problems, I would never have traded it in. However the issues already cropping up shows me that there are bound to be many many more in the near future and probably well past my 7 year warranty I had gotten.

I do lose some ease with towing due to going back to a gasser over the Diesel I had, but luckily my travel trailer isn't at the max 5000lbs I am now limited too with the ZR2 anyway.

Thank you all for your help and such through this. I loved my truck but, sadly, jeep screwed me over as a customer by refusing to fix the issue of bottoming out. I didn't want to have to pay for their engineering screwup. I will never again buy another jeep. I just hope the off-road market stays amazing for other brands such as Chewy, Toyota, and Ford and that they continue to hold their own against Jeep.

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave 2023 Bright White
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect

Hello @Clayton Off Road,

I have a diesel JT model with a build date of August 2022. I don't have the bottoming issue (so far) as I guess my JT has that TSB addressed from the factory itself.
But I want to address the rake. In my case, do I need the shock extenders with the updated factory shocks for the second option below?

I am having the dealer install this, BTW.

Thanks

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello @Clayton Off Road,

I have a diesel JT model with a build date of August 2022. I don't have the bottoming issue (so far) as I guess my JT has that TSB addressed from the factory itself.
But I want to address the rake. In my case, do I need the shock extenders with the updated factory shocks for the second option below?

I am having the dealer install this, BTW.

Thanks
Shock extensions are not required, but they do help prevent bottoming out the shocks once the lift is installed, so they are worth the upgrade!

From what I've seen, Jeep's stiffer shock fix has not solved the diesel bottoming out issue yet, however, you shouldn't have any issues at all if you are planning on upgrading to our 1.5" leveling kit!

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect
Shock extensions are not required, but they do help prevent bottoming out the shocks once the lift is installed, so they are worth the upgrade!

From what I've seen, Jeep's stiffer shock fix has not solved the diesel bottoming out issue yet, however, you shouldn't have any issues at all if you are planning on upgrading to our 1.5" leveling kit!
Thanks!

Sponsored

IPRoutes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sr. Network Architect

And if I decide to just address the sagging or bottoming out issue, your first option(https://www.claytonoffroad.com/prod...-jeep-gladiator-jt-05-lift-front-coil-springs) would still help or complement the stiffer shocks?

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR