Sponsored

Ecodiesel quit

Strokinout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I have a 2021 Gladiator ecodiesel with 42k miles on it. While driving at about 45 mph, the motor suddenly dies on me. I started trying to diagnose it after coasting into a parking lot. I'm using the obd2 app but not getting anything. I know it's not a dealership quality scanner but at 9:30 it's the best I got to work with. There's no leaks or inspection windows in the block that I can see. The thing that scares me is that the starter turns faster than before. There's fuel, oil and coolant and their Temps were all normal according to the dash. I have a bad feeling. Any ideas?
Sponsored

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bright White Willys.
I have a 2021 Gladiator ecodiesel with 42k miles on it. While driving at about 45 mph, the motor suddenly dies on me. I started trying to diagnose it after coasting into a parking lot. I'm using the obd2 app but not getting anything. I know it's not a dealership quality scanner but at 9:30 it's the best I got to work with. There's no leaks or inspection windows in the block that I can see. The thing that scares me is that the starter turns faster than before. There's fuel, oil and coolant and their Temps were all normal according to the dash. I have a bad feeling. Any ideas?
Just a guess, the high pressure fuel pump.
There are threads and posts about other members failing the CP4 high pressure pump.

Also a recall on "select" vehicles
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/z96-high-pressure-fuel-pump-recall.63968/

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The thing that scares me is that the starter turns faster than before.
That sounds odd to me as well. In my experience with HP fuel pumps, you'd get a cranks no start or suddenly died issue if the HP fuel pump went out.

Could be that it sounds like its rotating faster because it isn't starting just cranking over?

In other industries you'd get a rail pressure mismatch or rail pressure not developed code from cranking the engine without developing rail pressure.

Good luck OP.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22jtsD , 06XK, 21KL - Retired(97ZJ,15JKU, 00WJ,)
Good thing it's within warranty. Was your vin listed for recall ?

Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
The thing that scares me is that the starter turns faster than before.
That's scary, IMO. If anything is seized at all it should turn over more slowly, with more difficulty.
An engine that's "not firing" be it gas or diesel won't turn over faster, it would turn over more slowly as the burning of the fuel isn't helping to turn it over.

Could be that it sounds like its rotating faster because it isn't starting just cranking over?
It would be the opposite. If a cylinder fires - it's going to help the starter. One that is trying to start, any cylinders "firing" at all make it spin faster.

Engine with no cylinders firing will cause the most starter draw and slowest revolutions.
Engine with cylinders trying to fire will help turn the engine over and reduce the starter load and decrease battery draw.

A hot gas engine can cause more drag on the starter because of timing - premature firing kicking back against the starter.
As far as a hot diesel engine I'd also expect it to be a load on the starter unless there was at least one cylinder trying to fire - trying to burn fuel.

Sometimes an engine turning over too easily means timing chain, broken rod, etc. because compression is reduced making it easier to spin it over.

JeepTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's scary, IMO. If anything is seized at all it should turn over more slowly, with more difficulty.
An engine that's "not firing" be it gas or diesel won't turn over faster, it would turn over more slowly as the burning of the fuel isn't helping to turn it over.

It would be the opposite. If a cylinder fires - it's going to help the starter. One that is trying to start, any cylinders "firing" at all make it spin faster.

Engine with no cylinders firing will cause the most starter draw and slowest revolutions.
Engine with cylinders trying to fire will help turn the engine over and reduce the starter load and decrease battery draw.

A hot gas engine can cause more drag on the starter because of timing - premature firing kicking back against the starter.
As far as a hot diesel engine I'd also expect it to be a load on the starter unless there was at least one cylinder trying to fire - trying to burn fuel.

Sometimes an engine turning over too easily means timing chain, broken rod, etc. because compression is reduced making it easier to spin it over.
Well said. Lets hope its not that bad. If it is, hope its covered under powertrain warranty.

I've had diesel engines in the past sound like they were chugging like a steam train while cranking over (also suddenly died). Found 2 out of 4 cylinders had broken rods.

OP
OP

Strokinout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
I'm worried she's turning over easy because of a broken crank. She didn't throw a code (that I can see) or any check engine lights.

OP
OP

Strokinout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator
In for an update. Just talked to the dealer. The fuel pump grenades and took out the fuel injectors. The tank has to be dropped, lines and injectors have to be replaced along with the pump. Altogether about 25 part numbers total. What I found interesting is not that this is my dealer's first one but the new fuel pump is a CP3.

Sponsored

Free2roam

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator
Occupation
Fabricator by trade/ Maintenance Mechanic
Unless they have recall parts already. Which I doubt they do. Because no dealers do otherwise we would all be notified. I call BS.(On the dealership) Do you have a new part number from the dealer? Or is that what they told you? I'd look deeper into it for sure.

staying_tuned

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: TJx2, JKx1, JKUx1
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Architect
In for an update. Just talked to the dealer. The fuel pump grenades and took out the fuel injectors. The tank has to be dropped, lines and injectors have to be replaced along with the pump. Altogether about 25 part numbers total. What I found interesting is not that this is my dealer's first one but the new fuel pump is a CP3.
Perhaps they are now rolling them out to folks that are in these situations before the broader recall takes effect? Any indication on turnaround time for your truck?

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please post part #

Adventure_JTRD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon Diesel
I had the same thing happen to mine on NYE. My vin isn't flagged on the recall, but it is a 2022. Took about a month to get all the parts, but it was only 6 parts that they were replacing. The fuel rail and injectors took the longest to arrive. They didn't say anything about swapping over to a CP3.

22EcoDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had the same thing happen to mine on NYE. My vin isn't flagged on the recall, but it is a 2022. Took about a month to get all the parts, but it was only 6 parts that they were replacing. The fuel rail and injectors took the longest to arrive. They didn't say anything about swapping over to a CP3.
Do you have the write up ? It should have part numbers
Sponsored