Sponsored

Newbie question? What is the original intention of "Pre-Runner Lights".

OP
OP
OVERLORD

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Got it bad. Three REXs, One Street, One Track, and one that a dear buddy left me when he passed. Fast Momma Kaw Green! If Mojito was available on my Gladiator, it would have been mine. OH YES! It would have been mine!

Jeep Gladiator Newbie question? What is the original intention of "Pre-Runner Lights". 26170155_1694944860568736_8338044484551035557_o
Sponsored

Last edited:

bleda2002

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Firecracker Red
Got the lights today, impressed.

More impressed with the Duck that unexpectedly came with them!

Pretty cool!

Jeep Gladiator Newbie question? What is the original intention of "Pre-Runner Lights". DSCF4622.JPG

Jeep Gladiator Newbie question? What is the original intention of "Pre-Runner Lights". DSCF4622.JPG

These lights work great, i've had them out in the florida weather for over a year and no issues. I also learned to solder to make the harness for these, highly recommend making a harness with a disconnect plug for ease of removal in the future.

Sponsored

trust

First Name
terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Jeep Scrambler, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Actually they do, or did anyway, Serve a purpose in that they let slower vehicles know when they're being overtaken in a desert race by faster competitors when it's super dusty. Most racers "pre run" the race course before the event, often at near race speeds and so run these lights to let the locals know they are being overtaken.

UnklG517

First Name
Gerard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator Willys
Got the lights today, impressed.

More impressed with the Duck that unexpectedly came with them!

Pretty cool!

Jeep Gladiator Newbie question? What is the original intention of "Pre-Runner Lights". 1675366921376

Jeep Gladiator Newbie question? What is the original intention of "Pre-Runner Lights". 1675366921376
What mfr are these lights? I was just looking at a set from Quadratec. Certainly agree with you about the duck. I'm not a regular participant in the duck activities, but I would definitely hold on to that one.

MPMB

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JTR - SG
Occupation
Check your inbox.
Technically the "Raptor lights" are identification lights, not pre-runner lights.

Commercial vehicle lighting laws: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.11

The amber id lights aren't bright enough to illuminate much, let alone a trail.

Blitzinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
90% style but for those in the northeast, it helps others driving in opposite direction see you during snowstorms

Sponsored

AmosMoses

First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator sport
Occupation
Manufacturing
Kind of like loud pipes on Harleys or obnoxious cologne guys wear in their 20's before going to the club, pre-runner lights on these vehicles are for show and for garnering attention.

abe57

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave
Occupation
retired
Vehicle Showcase
GMTA

I also have this coming, ease of installation, and perhaps removal.

1675366921376.png
I used the same . That wiring loom connection is on the driver's side wheel well just below the brake master cylinder, just watch out for the pinched off plastic on the reservoir it is very sharp ! When installing my lights I also used a glue gun on the back side of the lights just to keep them in place and a disconnect in the wiring by the grill so it can be easier to remove the grill. I got my lights on Etsy .

Last edited:
OP
OP
OVERLORD

OVERLORD

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland

DylanM

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2005 LJR, 2021 JTRD
Occupation
USAF Retired
What are prerunner lights and what's their original intention? Put simply, prerunner lights are lights that you'd find on a prerunner; it has nothing to do with how wide the vehicle is nor European cities. Well, what's a prerunner then you ask? A prerunner was/is a vehicle used by an offroad race driver to pre-run the course to gain familiarity with the course before a race. The style and look of these vehicles, especially the trucks, gained popularity and prompted multitudes of folks to modify their personal vehicles to have that same look -- think big tires, roll bars, brush guards, lifted suspension, often a nose-high stance, and all sorts of additional lights to make it easier to see and be seen on an offroad race course.