Teakus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD, 2022 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't consider owning a JT or JL without the diesel engine.
Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I enjoy the diesel so much that I bought a second one. I'll never go back to gasoline!

mrmo

First Name
Mrmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator
Occupation
nuke
Beg to differ, my 3.0 will dust your gas guzzler. Better power, better mileage, no unexpected costs if you already had diesels most of your adult life. Will outlast the rest. Turbo lag, not much, it puts you in the seat and the torque pulls it hard...

Last edited:

Cwg33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTWD
Traded my 19’ JL 3.6 for a JTWD. It’s been a few weeks, and would never go back. The diesel works for my driving style.

Sponsored

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Beg to differ, my 3.0 will dust your gas guzzler. Better power, better mileage, no unexpected costs if you already had diesels most of your adult life. Will outlast the rest. Turbo lag, not much, it puts you in the seat and the torque pulls it hard...
Fuel filter change every 10K miles and oil changes are additional costs...

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Fuel filter change every 10K miles and oil changes are additional costs...
Diesel is also more expensive in many parts, including mine. Maintenance costs do get blown out of proportion, a $100 filter once a year and an extra $100 for an oil change might seem crazy, but that $200-$300 a year extra in maintenance over the gasser isn’t crazy. The warranty is also 5 years / 100k miles too.

I wouldn’t change a thing with mine. I love this beast of compromise for everything it is and isn’t at the same time.

aevgladitorrubi

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Med Sales
Vehicle Showcase
Diesel is also more expensive in many parts, including mine. Maintenance costs do get blown out of proportion, a $100 filter once a year and an extra $100 for an oil change might seem crazy, but that $200-$300 a year extra in maintenance over the gasser isn’t crazy. The warranty is also 5 years / 100k miles too.

I wouldn’t change a thing with mine. I love this beast of compromise for everything it is and isn’t at the same time.
I drive 20,000 miles a year-- change the oil every 5K (my choice) and that's 2 fuel filters plus labor. That's all a lot more than $2-300 per year.

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
(my choice)
🤔

So if you change your oil twice as often as recommended and have a mechanic do it, it more than doubled the average maintenance cost?

I do my oil changes every time the oil meter shows about 20% life or every 6 months. In a year and a halfish I’ve done 17,000 miles, three oil changes and two fuel filters.

At this rate, one fuel filter a year and two oil changes is what I’ll average. My dealer charges $280 for an ecodiesel oil change and $310 for the fuel filter swap, should be $870 a year out of pocket.

The same dealer chargers $98 for synthetic 3.6 oil change. If you do two a year, that’s $196.

With some math, you’re doing $674 more yearly maintenance… with labor. You could easily make that $200-$300 more by DIY, especially the fuel filter.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
I don't really understand why anyone is concerned about the price of maintenance and upkeep. Either doing it on your own, or at the dealer... it's not a big deal, and not that expensive.

It always fascinates me how people will pick apart certain things and complain about expenses/prices/inflation... yet they were the one who bought the vehicle, as well as ALL of the off-road/aftermarket parts.

If oil and filter changes has that much of an impact on you, start selling off the aftermarket parts you don't need. :)

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
It always fascinates me how people will pick apart certain things and complain about expenses/prices/inflation... yet they were the one who bought the vehicle, as well as ALL of the off-road/aftermarket parts.
Only thing I have a problem with is time, energy and money. When I have the time I don't have the other two - it tends to work this way all the time. I need to figure out a way fund being out wheeling in awesome places every other weekend.

Jeepasaurus_Rex

First Name
Mike🖤
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 KJ -- '21 JTRD
Build Thread
Link
Only thing I have a problem with is time, energy and money. When I have the time I don't have the other two - it tends to work this way all the time. I need to figure out a way fund being out wheeling in awesome places every other weekend.
Something that has always worked well for me is to value my own time more than anything else, and stop giving away my energy where I don't need to. Money isn't real, so no need to worry about it, as it will find it's way to you naturally.

Just do what you love, enjoy doing things that bring you happiness.. and everything will be fine :)

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
I don't really understand why anyone is concerned about the price of maintenance and upkeep. Either doing it on your own, or at the dealer... it's not a big deal, and not that expensive.

If oil and filter changes has that much of an impact on you, start selling off the aftermarket parts you don't need. :)
It's just the polarized crowd that hates what they don't want or have.

Funny thing is I don't see people bitching about cost of the Hemi? Whats the payback look like even on the base model? 😂

I say drive a Tacoma, Prius, or Pinto....whatever makes YOU happy!

Jefe1018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JT Rubi Ecodiesel
Build Thread
Link
Something that has always worked well for me is to value my own time more than anything else, and stop giving away my energy where I don't need to. Money isn't real, so no need to worry about it, as it will find it's way to you naturally.

Just do what you love, enjoy doing things that bring you happiness.. and everything will be fine :)
That’s some hippy bull spit if I’ve ever read it…. But I do like your words, magic man.
Sponsored