First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Publix-Meat cutter/welder
Before I did an oil change in my JT my running oil temp was 295°F-334°F. Previous owner used regular oil in this JT.
At 44,000 miles I changed to 0w-20 Royal Purple premium full synthetic oil. Running oil temp now 170°F-204°F. My coolant and transmission temps are running cooler also. I have noticed a 3-5 mpg increase from this.

I have been using Royal Purple in other vehicle's for years now and have had the same results.
Sponsored

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
It's a pretty low rated oil for longevity, though.
What do you mean "used regular oil". He can't have used non-synthetic and still matched the viscosity needs. The oil used in these only comes in synthetic or partial synthetic, not in non-synthetic.

I can't see running oil at that temperature and not having trouble. I've not seen these ever even coming close. If I saw oil temps over 250 I'd be looking really hard at a reason.
That's WAAAAAY over oil that's too hot! That's more than 100 degrees too hot.
With the oil the dealer uses, mine runs in the 180-220 range, that's just normal.
Royal purple ain't responsible to lowering oil temperature by more than 100 degrees.
I ain't buying what you are selling, sorry. No way in hell a different brand oil will drop oil temps 100 degrees, just ain 't happening. It's laughable. It's plain not possible. And if you saw oil temperatures that bloody high, why didn't you find and fix the trouble?
Even changing viscosity a notch or two will only make about 10-20 degrees difference.
(and after my research, that's an oil I won't use)

Unless the prior owner was running 5w30 or similar, he wasn't using "regular oil" whatever that is.
Even at that - it won't cause oil that hot.

ShadowsPapa

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JTO, '23 JLU, '82 SX4, '73 P. Cardin Javelin
Occupation
Retired auto mechanic, frmr gov't ntwrk security admin
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, sorry - that's an oil waaaaay down on my list of what I'd run. It just doesn't have the high temp abilities or the ability to stand extreme pressures, making me concerned about using it on flat lifter engines, or our 3.6 because at high lift mode, it's the same thing as a flat tappet sliding on a standard cam. It's a lot of pressure and wiping action.
The rubbing follower when not on the rollers is actually, IMO, worse than the lifters rubbing on a cam in one of my cars.

Pennzoil or Mobil 1 or AMSOIL (not necessarily in that order) would be my top choices, Quaker State is up in the top for handling pressures and wear resistance.

Everyone has their favorites, sometimes what was best years ago just hasn't kept up, and what people disliked in the 1990s is a top oil now. Things have changed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BTG36

BTG36

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It's a pretty low rated oil for longevity, though.
What do you mean "used regular oil". He can't have used non-synthetic and still matched the viscosity needs. The oil used in these only comes in synthetic or partial synthetic, not in non-synthetic.

I can't see running oil at that temperature and not having trouble. I've not seen these ever even coming close. If I saw oil temps over 250 I'd be looking really hard at a reason.
That's WAAAAAY over oil that's too hot! That's more than 100 degrees too hot.
With the oil the dealer uses, mine runs in the 180-220 range, that's just normal.
Royal purple ain't responsible to lowering oil temperature by more than 100 degrees.
I ain't buying what you are selling, sorry. No way in hell a different brand oil will drop oil temps 100 degrees, just ain 't happening. It's laughable. It's plain not possible. And if you saw oil temperatures that bloody high, why didn't you find and fix the trouble?
Even changing viscosity a notch or two will only make about 10-20 degrees difference.
(and after my research, that's an oil I won't use)

Unless the prior owner was running 5w30 or similar, he wasn't using "regular oil" whatever that is.
Even at that - it won't cause oil that hot.
The dealer said the he changed his own oil. The new jeep dealer I took it to yesterday morning said that the engine had been running hot. Said that the prior owner felt a vibration coming from the motor but, no check engine light was on. So he didn't take it in for repair.
The oil that I drained from the motor was black. The amount of oil that drained from the motor was 2 and 3/4 quarts. The new jeep dealer I took it to yesterday called at 5:34pm eastern time said that the block was OK but, they replaced the crankshaft, camshafts and alot of other stuff in the motor, both valve covers were replaced along with many other plastic parts do to warpage from overheating.
They said the JT is still under warranty and told me the other dealer should have never sold this vehicle in the first place with this many problems. I'll be picking it up this morning but I'll check, listen and look for any signs of anything they missed.

Kirk*Mojave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Jeep Mojave/toyota camry
Oil debates seem to cause Chaos on automotive forums. Car and truck guys seem to be loyal to a certain brand

Sponsored

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Before I did an oil change in my JT my running oil temp was 295°F-334°F.
That is some stupid high temperatures for motor oil. Yet it dropped over 100°F just by changing the brand of oil?

Something is fishy here.

OP
OP
BTG36

BTG36

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Was this a lease vehicle?
Previous owner leased it for 2 years, then upgraded to a Mojave. I bought it for $47,000 from the jeep dealer.

OP
OP
BTG36

BTG36

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That is some stupid high temperatures for motor oil. Yet it dropped over 100°F just by changing the brand of oil?

Something is fishy here.
It wasn't the brand of oil that changed the temp.
2 and 3/4 quarts drained versus 5 and 1/2 quarts added. But, the 3 quarts that were missing was causing the overheating.

Something is fishy here but, it's not me! 🤣
Sponsored