Sponsored

Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc....

Jrmotorsports55

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Auto Appraiser
Glass company has been doing those, confirmed by calling them. No new part exists.
Wondering if the seal that the glass company is using is a universal part that we can buy and install ourselves in place of the vacuum hose.
Sponsored

DesertRated

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Mojave
Wondering if the seal that the glass company is using is a universal part that we can buy and install ourselves in place of the vacuum hose.
Nothing special about the seal some glass companies are installing. But the seal needs to be installed when the new back glass is installed.

Jeepmonster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 1968 Chevy C10
I'm hoping someone comes out with a rear visor like this (GT Styling), but sticks to the hartop to cover the seam. I Googled and found some for other trucks that mount above the seam.
Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... 1679105333146

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
I'm hoping someone comes out with a rear visor like this, but sticks to the hartop to cover the seam. I Googled and found some for other trucks that mount above the seam.
Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... 1679105333146
I mean...that would work...but why? Just do post 1.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ecidiego

ecidiego

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IT
Just want to thank everyone who posted their ideas for fixing this problem especially ecidiego for the idea and link for the silicone hose. Got mine installed today just going to wait for rain now and hope it stays dry. Supposed to rain Saturday night so hopefully it worked
Missed this post...did it work?

jaydee00830

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Just bought a 2020 CPO gladiator and the roof leaks. Dealership took care of it and replaced the back glass/frame. I am thinking of doing the vacuum hose anyway as a second line of defense going forward. Thoughts??

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue Gladiator, BMW X3
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought a 2020 CPO gladiator and the roof leaks. Dealership took care of it and replaced the back glass/frame. I am thinking of doing the vacuum hose anyway as a second line of defense going forward. Thoughts??
That would be a good idea, do it now or wait for it to leak, and it will most likely leak just like mine did a year after replacement. As long as they are replacing the glass and frame with the same thing coming out it is not going to be a permanent repair.

Sponsored

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
We all know of the 48 page ( as of 1/20/2023 ) thread about this:

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/roof-leak-in-back.25332/

This thread is ONLY to discuss mitigating this on your own without replacing the window. After the Permatex window sealant method failed even after using 2 entire tubes ( still leaked ), I went with the silicon vacuum hose idea a couple guys posted in that huge thread. Credit to @jac04 who posted about it first, at least I read his post first.

X AUTOHAUX 4.5 Meter 14.76ft Black Silicone Air Hose Pipe Tubing 7mm OD 3mm ID for Car

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BGSK8VTN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

There are things to know when trying this method:

1. It comes out looking OEM in my opinion.
2. It requires some finesse and patience to stop all the leaks.

My window was leaking all over the place. It has a crack, the factory seal was pinched - total shit work by Jeep at the factory.

Use a squirt bottle with distilled water and an ounce or so of isopropyl alcohol for lube. Different trucks will have different levels of shit work from the factory, so the 7mm OD hose might be too much, or not enough, to fit right in yours. This takes patience and several tries sometimes. My first try it leaked everywhere still because i pushed the hose in too far.

Tips:

1. The hose MUST be pushed in "just the right amount". Too far in - it won't seal the top fiberglass and the lower glass edge. It will leak. Not far enough in - it will pop out, won't seal, and look terrible. DON'T stretch the hose while putting it in. The hose needs to be placed totally limp, and "squeezed" in. It will naturally stretch a little as you squeeze it in, but don't pull on the loose end as you go around the perimeter.

2. You will be using the squirt bottle while putting it in. Water will get into the channel. DO NOT LEAK TEST for at least an hour so all of that water can leak inside the truck. Dry it off inside, THEN leak test.

3. Don't spray everywhere, immediately check for leaks, and "hey I am done! no leaks!" They take awhile to wick their way down. My second try, I got it almost just right, but 15 minutes later one little drip showed up. I looked on the exterior where that drip showed up, and noticed a slight bulge in the hose. I didn't push that area in far enough. I SLIGHTY pressed it in, waited 30 minutes, dried the inside, waited thirty minutes, and re tested by spraying. Waited 30 minutes, checked inside - leaks are all gone.

This cost $14.49 to fix and about 4 hours if you add all the "waiting". Just drink beer and watch football. Actual labor - 10 minutes.

Check for leaks periodically. You have to do that even if Jeep replaces your window. Many guys are on their 3rd window. If this doesn't work out, it takes 5 seconds to rip if off. No trace.

TO the OP and everyone else who is using this method ... I just discovered my leak and was about to run a bead of outdoor silicone - the kind you'd use on a house window. Is there a reason why your method - silicone hose squeezed in just right - works better than a tube of silicone sealant? Said another way - why not use a liquid silicone sealant? Thanks everyone!

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
TO the OP and everyone else who is using this method ... I just discovered my leak and was about to run a bead of outdoor silicone - the kind you'd use on a house window. Is there a reason why your method - silicone hose squeezed in just right - works better than a tube of silicone sealant? Said another way - why not use a liquid silicone sealant? Thanks everyone!
I have been using the silicone hose now for 3 years and no leaks. I do believe that the correct type of sealant will work but it needs to stay flexible like what an automotive glass shop would use. I have been happy with the hose so I have not tried my theory but no reason it wouldn’t work

syreeves

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT, 2013 Volvo XC90, 2003 LR Disco
Occupation
Liquor Attorney. So not all bad...
I have been using the silicone hose now for 3 years and no leaks. I do believe that the correct type of sealant will work but it needs to stay flexible like what an automotive glass shop would use. I have been happy with the hose so I have not tried my theory but no reason it wouldn’t work
Thank you - mostly i wanted to figure out if there is some magic to the silicone hose method over the "caulk" method. I love this forum because so much of what is on here is "you should know the magic trick" type of advice.

Thanks Again!

Commodus

First Name
Buck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you - mostly i wanted to figure out if there is some magic to the silicone hose method over the "caulk" method. I love this forum because so much of what is on here is "you should know the magic trick" type of advice.

Thanks Again!
The only advice I can give you on using the vacuum hose is to use silicone hose and patience. I know I must have started the hose and pulled it out at least a half dozen times before I was satisfied that it was in the crease around the window as even as I could get it, not to deep but in far enough as not wanting to roll out. Mine has been in now for almost 3 years and have never had to adjust or reinstall the hose. Just take your time

berb

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gadiator Sport / Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Occupation
Teacher
I got lucky and got my rear window repaired under warranty. It was sent out to a glass company where they replaced the rear glass, sealed with the black sealant stuff they use on windshields and then put a seamless gasket around the window. I do not know where they got it, but it looks great.

Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... rear window 2

Jeep Gladiator Leaking rear window : fixes for those who don't want to play dealer roulette, wait 2 months, have their top scratched, seats ripped etc.... rear window
Sponsored