Official Press Release: 2020 Jeep Gladiator Specs & Photos

RedTRex

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 WK2 Diesel
Exactly, the problem is the front end will bind up if the wheels don't have something soft to slip on.
Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Launch Edition, 2008 ES350
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The full time/real time AWD thing was a possible feature in the Sahara JL, doesn't appear to be an option on any of the Gladiators.
I thought so to but I copied that directly from the document in the first post of this thread. Just to make sure I even looked up Jeep torque management and it is a full-time 4wd system.

Screen Shot 2018-11-29 at 8.13.36 PM.png

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
I thought so to but I copied that directly from the document in the first post of this thread. Just to make sure I even looked up Jeep torque management and it is a full-time 4wd system.

so does full time torque management mean the same thing as full time/real time AWD?

In looking at this, i would assume the command trac of the gladiator would be the same. 2 speed transfer case. Also cited at the top of your screencap.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
http://media.fcanorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=16376&mid=

That link is from a few years ago but several times it mentions full-time torque management as a system that sends torque to either the front or rear axle without driver input. I took this to assume that a 4wd Auto will be an option on Gladiator. If I am not mistaken 4wd Auto is an option on the European Rubicon.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn

Jeep's name for the full-time, or all-wheel, drive system is Selec-Trac. The Command-Trac and Rock-Trac systems are manual control 4 wheel drive systems. While the wording in the press release may be confusing, if they were offering the Rubicon with the full-time AWD system (like you can get on the JL Sahara), it would be crystal clear, not buried in semantics.

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I have had Jeeps for 20 years and they have all said full time 4wd or part time. Actually I have had my 1993 ZJ for 26 years now and when I pull the transfer case the "Part Time" light illuminates. That is not my ZJ transfer case because I just have the Part Time 4wd in mine so I lifted the photo off of the internet.

I am by no means a Jeep expert and I have been wrong more than once. In your opinion what does the statement about full-time torque management in the document mean?

18905-img00128-20100306-2316.jpg

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep's name for the full-time, or all-wheel, drive system is Selec-Trac. The Command-Trac and Rock-Trac systems are manual control 4 wheel drive systems. While the wording in the press release may be confusing, if they were offering the Rubicon with the full-time AWD system (like you can get on the JL Sahara), it would be crystal clear, not buried in semantics.
so both the command-trac and rock-trac are part time - user input needed to go to 4wd. Whereas, my CRV was full time, and shifted to 4wd on the fly?

Now if i'm right up to this point, is one of the big differences between the command-trac and rock-track, that the command-trac has limited slip diffs in the front and rear, and the rock-track has lockers?

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
The command and rock have nothing to do with the axles, the main difference in the two is the gear reduction of low range. Now that being said the rock-trac is only available in Rubicon modes which, of course, have the lockers in the axles.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The command and rock have nothing to do with the axles, the main difference in the two is the gear reduction of low range. Now that being said the rock-trac is only available in Rubicon modes which, of course, have the lockers in the axles.
okay so from a Overland gladiator, vs rubicon gladiator standpoint. The overland will have not as aggressive 4lo, and have LSD front/rear, whereas the Rubicon will have a more aggressive 4lo, with locking front/rear.

So in the sometimes icy, sometimes snowy, sometimes dry pavement drives of wisconsin winter (all on the same drive), the Overland would do better.

From some of the wrangler threads i've read though, People claimed their Rubicon was the best vehicle they've ever driven in snow.

Sponsored

TennesseePA

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
I guess it is all a matter of opinion. But I will note that the overland will not have a LS diff in the front it will have an open diff. I will be getting the Rubicon because of the lockers and I just hope that I am interpreting the document correctly and I will have the option of a full time 4wd system. Even if it doesn't have it I need the Rubicon because almost every weekend in December and January I am pulling a boat out of the water up an icy ramp.

TexTJ209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 Jeep CJ-7, 1973 Jeep J2000 Gladiator
I guess it is all a matter of opinion. But I will note that the overland will not have a LS diff in the front it will have an open diff. I will be getting the Rubicon because of the lockers and I just hope that I am interpreting the document correctly and I will have the option of a full time 4wd system. Even if it doesn't have it I need the Rubicon because almost every weekend in December and January I am pulling a boat out of the water up an icy ramp.

Rubicons do not have full time 4wd. Period. Never have, never will. It's a traditional heavy duty transfer case.

The NVG241OR Rock Trac transfer case has part time, 4wd high, and 4wd low settings. There is no full time 4wd setting on the Rock Trac.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np241or

The "full time" torque management you are seeing as far as I know refers to the Brake Locking Differential feature as described in this video.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bitchin' Schwinn
I have had Jeeps for 20 years and they have all said full time 4wd or part time. Actually I have had my 1993 ZJ for 26 years now and when I pull the transfer case the "Part Time" light illuminates. That is not my ZJ transfer case because I just have the Part Time 4wd in mine so I lifted the photo off of the internet.

I am by no means a Jeep expert and I have been wrong more than once. In your opinion what does the statement about full-time torque management in the document mean?

18905-img00128-20100306-2316.jpg
Unless I'm way off base, the full-time torque management refers to the vehicle's systems limiting driveshaft torque under certain conditions when wheel slip is detected. This is especially noticeable on the higher powered Grand Cherokees with the 5.7 engines, and many owners seek bypass methods. It uses the throttle response and transmission to respond "more reasonably" to driver input (like stomping on the throttle in 2WD on loose conditions) to limit slippage, drive train wear and damage(most notably to the transmission). On a lower powered vehicle like a Gladiator, especially with the low over-axle weight inherent to pick-ups, this would seem like a nice feature, as, at least on paper, maximizing grip would seem to be the objective of pressing the gas pedal in any conditions. Spinning your wheels on sand or gravel, especially with a 7600 lb trailer, could be a real problem, and that can happen when towing, even in 4WD, so TM tries to alleviate that.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
okay so from a Overland gladiator, vs rubicon gladiator standpoint. The overland will have not as aggressive 4lo, and have LSD front/rear, whereas the Rubicon will have a more aggressive 4lo, with locking front/rear.

So in the sometimes icy, sometimes snowy, sometimes dry pavement drives of wisconsin winter (all on the same drive), the Overland would do better.

From some of the wrangler threads i've read though, People claimed their Rubicon was the best vehicle they've ever driven in snow.
I think you are mixing something up with T-case (controls front to back power distribution) with differentials (controls side to side power distribution). Lockers, limited slip, and open refer to the differentials. I think the document being discussed about torque management referers to the brake locking feature with uses a brake to slow down the low traction wheel and force power to the other side (again side to side power distribution).

The t-case (front to back) you are debating will not effect your concerns about patchy Wisco driving. Command Trac and Rock Track will be pretty similar in 2WD or 4WD High. The difference doesn’t really come until you enter 4WD Low, which in your driving situation you would only do if stuck in a snow bank, not around town or highways. That is where Rock-trac would have the advantage, getting you unstuck. Hence the claim the Rubicon is the best vehicle in snow.

For the purposes of driving in conditions I think you have in mind. 20-55 MPH where there are miles of dry salted spots and every so often there is a bridge that is really slippery or something where the plow guy missed. If that is what you have in mind, rock trac and command trac don’t help you as much as Jeep’s selec trac (not offerned on the JT). Look at NP242 or MP3022 tcases. They had a full time 4WD that split power front to back in such a way that would allow some slippage on surfaces with traction. They accomplished this in very different ways but end result was you can drive around on dry surfaces in 4WD High Full Time and not cause binding.
Sponsored