Sponsored

Gladiator vs. Power Wagon and Wrangler Review by Fourwheeler

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR
Full review @ http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/1907-nena-knows-jeeps-gladiator-comparison/

As for my expectations of the Gladiator overall, I must say it surpassed them. I was concerned that driving the Gladiator would feel like settling for mediocre capabilities in between the Wrangler and Power Wagon. It did not. The Gladiator made her own place and name. After 1,000 miles and five days behind the wheel, I came to the amazing conclusion that I didn't even notice how comfortable I was all week. Sparrow had served as my overlanding rig with seamless grace and ease. Like a perfectly attentive butler ready to provide whatever assistance you might require for your adventure, it seemed like everything fit perfectly, worked together perfectly, and even provided a few things I loved and didn't know I needed. Adaptive cruise control, front camera, select speed control, Off-Road Plus—all features not found on any of the other rigs in this comparison, except the Gladiator.

Pros and cons of the Power Wagon, Wrangler Rubicon, and Gladiator Rubicon—as they function in my world.

Power Wagon-09
Pros:
Hauling and towing capacity
Aerodynamics and road noise (fewer windshield replacements)
Max comfort
Cons:
Fuel economy
Real estate—least maneuverable of the three

Wrangler
Pros:
Shortest wheelbase of the there = most mobility, biggest clearance
Enclosed cargo area
Cons:
Less cargo space and load carrying capacity—"light duty"
Least comfort, due to shorter wheelbase ride and less total space

Gladiator
Pros:
More hauling and towing than the Wrangler
Better fuel economy than the Power Wagon (MUCH better)
Cons:
Aftermarket parts—since the back half of the Gladiator is different than anything else out there, options for bumpers, shocks, suspension, camper tops, and bed systems will take a while to hit the market

Full review @ http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/features/1907-nena-knows-jeeps-gladiator-comparison/
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Nice comparison and spot on as far as I’m concerned.

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
Having been a Power Wagon owner for the last 10 years (and a CJ5 for 5 and a XJ for 3) I would concur overall.

I think the PW is more comfortable and quieter than the jeeps. But the PW is too wide for many trails and not as easily modified with bigger tires (I ran 35's on the PW and they rubbed the control arms or fenders depending on offset which got much worse with articulation and mud chains on). I like that the JT is lighter and narrower. The JT is much easier to enter and exit as the seat in the PW is much higher off the ground but I feel the JT has better clearance (comparing with same size tires). The PW has more capacity but my kids are now on their own so I don't need as much space. And the best mpg I got on the PW was about 11-12. I am getting about 19.3 if I stay under 65 in the JT. And the turning radius is much better in the JT than the PW. The stereo in the JT and Uconnect is far superior in the JT.

leanxormean_stack

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU in order
I can't say they are comparable. I test drove the 2019 PW and it is on a different class by itself. It has more improvements over earlier year models from drive terrain, engine and MPG. H/W driving @ 70mph I saw 17.3MPG. W/O any modifications, it can effortlessly keep up with lifted jeeps. You add Carli pintop suspension package and 37"s and this truck will bulldoze anything on its way except narrow trails ;)

bgenlvtex

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR
FCA is doing a damn fine job delivering what people want to buy.

My daily driver is a 2016 Ram 2500 CC 4x4, I have considered trading it for a new PW. PW is in a class all it's own, much like the Gladiator and Charger Hellcat. FCA has their ear to the ground, they know what we want to buy and the best the competitors have to offer is at the very best only roughly comparable.

I hope they build an SRT Gladiator/Crusader with a factory 2" lift, 37 12.50R17 on adequately dimension-ed wheels, 4.88's, supercharge the 3.6 to about 350hp/475tq and add an RE870, steel bumpers f&r with a winch up front, and upgraded skid system. They would sell them faster than they could make them.

Sponsored

G8R

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon-solid white
Occupation
Medical Devices
I can't say they are comparable. I test drove the 2019 PW and it is on a different class by itself.
Totally agree with you there. I needed a new vehicle at the end of May. I was down to one choice and it was the 19 PW. The 6.4 coupled with the new transmission and the rest of the updates made the new rig a completely different truck from my 09 PW. Had the Gladiator not come out at this exact time I would have been driving a new 19 PW today. But I can say I am not regretting the Gladiator over the PW. Although I am guessing that when the time comes to purchase a new camp trailer I may have some.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
FCA is doing a damn fine job delivering what people want to buy.

My daily driver is a 2016 Ram 2500 CC 4x4, I have considered trading it for a new PW. PW is in a class all it's own, much like the Gladiator and Charger Hellcat. FCA has their ear to the ground, they know what we want to buy and the best the competitors have to offer is at the very best only roughly comparable.

I hope they build an SRT Gladiator/Crusader with a factory 2" lift, 37 12.50R17 on adequately dimension-ed wheels, 4.88's, supercharge the 3.6 to about 350hp/475tq and add an RE870, steel bumpers f&r with a winch up front, and upgraded skid system. They would sell them faster than they could make them.
Aren't they already sold faster than they can make them? :CWL:

But I agree a Maximus edition would be sweet!

Ryan Carlson

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Nissan Pick-up
I'm looking at the 2019 2500 Tradesman with PW package under $50k with 6.4L V8, lockers, sway bar disconnect, 4.10, winch, way more payload, towing and torque, performance suspension, a lot of aftermarket. Less MPG, but what else is downside?

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking at the 2019 2500 Tradesman with PW package under $50k with 6.4L V8, lockers, sway bar disconnect, 4.10, winch, way more payload, towing and torque, performance suspension, a lot of aftermarket. Less MPG, but what else is downside?
PW is big 3/4 ton crew cab truck. The JT is a midsized truck. Two different animals. If you want to park in your garage, JT. If you need a full sized truck, PW. Comparing them is a bit silly.

Ryan Carlson

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Nissan Pick-up
PW is big 3/4 ton crew cab truck. The JT is a midsized truck. Two different animals. If you want to park in your garage, JT. If you need a full sized truck, PW. Comparing them is a bit silly.
Comparing similar money for more truck stuff and less Jeep stuff isn't silly at all. This is the purpose of this thread. I agree the Ram is much bigger, but it's well equipped. Any previous Ram owners out there that are moving to Jeep?

Sponsored

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
Comparing similar money for more truck stuff and less Jeep stuff isn't silly at all. This is the purpose of this thread. I agree the Ram is much bigger, but it's well equipped. Any previous Ram owners out there that are moving to Jeep?
I moved. So what?

Ryan Carlson

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Nissan Pick-up
I moved. So what?
I'd like to know why you moved. I am on the fence between the two. Nothing expected, but I'd appreciate real world experience on reliability, off road performance and usability, particularly for a family of four as a daily driver and on week-long trips mostly on gravel and dual track and some technical terrain. I don't need a lot of towing to be honest. Mostly dirt bikes and equipment.

TheSolarWizard

First Name
Memphis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.0 JT
Occupation
Solar & EV infrastructure
Resale value, Jeep culture and Topless/doorless are the reasons to buy the Jeep and not the ram

If you don’t care about such things, get the ram

Ryan Carlson

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Nissan Pick-up
Resale value, Jeep culture and Topless/doorless are the reasons to buy the Jeep and not the ram

If you don’t care about such things, get the ram
That is helpful. I plan on owning my next car for at least 15 years, hopefully longer, so resale is not important to me. Jeep culture and open cabin not important. I may have my answer. Hope to see you all out there.

jeepncrowd

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Rubicon (WILD MED)
Occupation
Physician Assistant
Fitting on the trails will be much harder with the power wagon. Parking in the city will be more difficult. The Gladiator will have generally better off road angles.
Sponsored