Sponsored

Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time?

WXman

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Overland EcoDiesel
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I've noticed that the Gladiator is bringing in a lot of people who've never owned a truck before. I've gotten a lot of responses and questions on my posts and YouTube videos that to me seem extremely novice, but I have to remember that these folks have never owned a truck. I had one guy that had no idea the payload and weight limits were printed on the door jamb sticker, or what any of it meant. He was so excited when I showed him what all of that stuff meant for his daily life with the truck. Lol.

It's been kind of cool, because it's taking me back 25 years when I was first learning all this stuff. In a way it has made my own experience with the Gladiator more fun.
Sponsored

Oilburner

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Scrambler, 1969 Wagoneer, 2022 JTR Ecodiesel
...Witness the crickets and tumbleweeds in the Towing section, for example.
I suspect itā€™s because they are all out actually using their trucks instead of being on here talking about decals & red stitching LOL

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
That absolutely could be the case! :rock:

Up venture

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase
I've been curious as to how many people were Jeep people and truck people. Seems to be a good mix of both here as far as people that have had or have Jeeps without trucks and truck people that have not had a Jeep. After having a couple CJs I've be a Jeep guy but my vehicle needs have lead me to be a truck guy... Happy for the Gladiator it brings it all together

futzin'

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JTR, '15 Durango Citadel, '06 Suburban 2500 8L
Personally, I don't need a pick up. I have a 2500 4x4 Suburban, a utility trailer, and a cargo trailer. My preference is for an SUV, actually. They keep my cargo dry and more secure. But I want an interesting one (considered a Durango SRT for a while), and one that can tow 5K fairly comfortably (not rated for 5K, as so many of them are). None seem to exist really (already have one Durango, the Mrs isn't interested in trading for an SRT). And the stupid tablets/infotainment that stick up off of the dashes these days...why are we as consumers putting up with that??

The JT is a great fit for us though. Third vehicle, decent mpg, off roader for when we're at the lake, decent size (wish it was a bit wider cab), and most importantly: doors and top off! We love our Durango, and the UConnect is great and would provide some continuity (always fumbling for controls in our Venza). Just wish it was a scosh wider and had some more torque. But I think it will fill the bill.

Sponsored

Astephan1284

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave, 2000 TJ Sport
Yea... I guess I am a creature of habit. I have Jeeps #9 ('99 Sahara) and #10 ('16 JKUR Hard Rock) in the garage now. The only care I have owned that wasn't a jeep was my first car: a Chevy Cavalier when I was 16. Had it for all of 6 months before getting my first wrangler. Needless to say, this is also my first truck so its a whole new world for me.

Bekah

First Name
Rebecca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Our JT is the first truck we've ever owned. We've only owned Jeeps, but I've always considered us an SUV family. It's clear to me that many of the members of this forum are truck people 'through and through'. It's crazy that I half identify as a 'traditional' Jeep owner but learning so much about trucks in the process has been great. Being a member of this forum is more eye opening than any other forum. Who else is learning what it's like to own a truck for the first time?
I have no idea why your post tickles me so much but I'm one of those truck people of which you speak, LOL.

I've always said that's the only vehicle I would ever drive in place of a truck would be a Wrangler as I've always had an affection for them yet I could never let go of my trucks. Lo and behold, out comes the Gladiator and I was able to get the best of both worlds. I get the Jeep adventure with the doors off and top back but I can still say I'm a truck girl! But to be fair, we still have the F-250 as well, LOL.

G_S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator
I currently have JT on order, after you guys picked the color for me.

I never owned a Truck or SUV.

My last 3, most recent, rides have been
C class 2 door Mercedes
CLK 2 door convertible Mercedes
S class 2 door convertible Mercedes (current)

For me going to the JT was all about trying to simplify my life.
Lower mantince bill, I can turn a wrench on myself. No more keeping up with the Joneses Mercedes. Something I keep & drive for the next 10 - 15 years.

I know I am in for a world of change.

Yagrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator in waiting
Long time truck owner dating back to when I was able to first be involved in selecting my own vehicle, first car was a hand me down to get me through high school. Have zeroed in on getting a Gladiator after comparing lots of choices and many features in looking at what I need out of my next truck. Always was interested in getting a Jeep but always had a need for a truck and now this just solves the issue.

Sponsored

Dr Kel

First Name
Kellie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2020 GMC Denali HD, ...
Occupation
Goddess of Unstructured Data
Vehicle Showcase
LOL! For me this is my first Jeep! I havenā€™t had my own truck since we sold my Duramax in 2004. Got it because I like the idea of a truck that I can take the top off of. :involve:

MotoBrad

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2001 BMW M5, 2014 Yamaha WR250R, 2010 BMW R1200R,
Occupation
Heavy Duty Mechanic
I have been a devout sports car/high performance car guy my whole life. If I had a dollar for everytime someone told me "you gotta get a truck" I'd be able to pay for 37s. My current 2012 Subaru STi definitely gets used like a truck! I have a 4ft.x8ft. Trailer that has kept me truck free for all these years of home ownership. Loads if garbage, firewood, yard waste from the acreage, building supplies, motorcycles, you name it, my little Subaru has towed it. But even with the 1.5" lift, the subaru struggles offroad on anything worse than a gravel road.

Stepping up into a Gladiator is going to open up the ability to tow a proper camper trailer, and get me way farther offroad. More room for more camping gear, and dirt bikes can go in the back instead of bouncing around on the flat deck trailer. I just can't wait! Mid size truck will be perfect for me, and with the convertible top? It's really the sports car of the truck world!

When the itch comes to go fast, I'll get on a motorcycle or in my old E39 M5 that round out the fleet.

spazzyfry123

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR (Sold) - Now Land Cruiser
Occupation
ME
Iā€™ve owned Jeeps since the beginning. Heck, my mom was pregnant with me and owned her CJ. First car was a used TJ that taught me how to drive a stick. Still think the family trip to Tellico with a nearby cabin was one of the most fun vacations I can remember with my parents.

Since that first TJ, Iā€™ve owned a handful of XJs ranging from a cream puff Limited to a Sport that got cut up for off-roading to multiple YJs with stretched wheelbases, one tons, 40s... to multiple Grand Cherokees including the WK2 I bought my wife.

Sure there have plenty more vehicles in that lineup including many fast cars, cruisers, and a few ā€œtrucks.ā€ I say it like that because a slammed ā€˜68 C10 and a race oriented suspension on a supercharged Lightning donā€™t exactly do very many truck things short of bringing home some mulch. I wouldnā€™t say that Iā€™m a ā€œtruck guy.ā€

Since my E90 M3 was totaled by a negligent driver, Iā€™ve been without a toy and this makes Tyler sad. Fast forward to the Gladiator announcement and this makes Tyler happy. I now have a vehicle that scratches the itch for a toy, can perform SUV duty, can do truck things for the house weā€™re looking to buy, and best of all itā€™s a Jeep! And same as me, another Jeep will be bringing home my family. Itā€™s a nice cycle :)

tysongladiator

First Name
Tyson
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Learner
Vehicle Showcase
I don't understand! I still do all of the same things that I was doing with my Ram with the addition of more off road capability. I still pull my boat, I still pull a loaded trailer, I still haul crap, I load up the back seat, I still hit the mud, and we still take it out when we go out to dinner! Lol! I used to own a RAM with 9" of lift and it was starting to have multiple problems. If I felt the need to have a truck where I needed to haul a gooseneck trailer, I would have gotten a 3500 Diesel. But guess what? I don't! The gladiator serves it's purpose and more!

SleepyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper S, Firecracker Red Gladiator LE
The Gladiator is my first truck as well. But, I used to own a TJ and a GC so I am not new to Jeeps and I always loved them. I really didn't want a full size truck but I was seriously considering the Raptor and the Taco TRD Pro and choosing the Gladiator for me was a no-brainer cuz I was not going to do truck related things and more overlanding stuff. Like @tysongladiator says if I wanted to tow a heavy trailer etc, I would just get a RAM 3500 Diesel or one of the heavy duty trucks... It is nice to have a truck to lug some stuff around with ease fo sho. It just took me a couple of weeks to get used to the longer wheel base and the length of the truck LOL

In all fairness, I do like the looks of the blacked out Raptor but the Gladiator just had too much to offer like taking the roof and doors off which makes it more fun for me... And, I guess I have always loved Jeeps so that swayed my decision too ;)
Sponsored