Sponsored

Installing Mopar Rear Bed Rock Rails on Overland and Sport Gladiators

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
If anyone is wondering if the Mopar Jeep Rear Bed Rock Rails will fit the Sport and Overland Models, they will with a little work..

There are 4 pieces to the rails, 1 frame bracket that attaches to the frame with 3 bolts and the Rock Rails themselves attach to the bumper with 2 bolts and 3 bolts to attach to the frame brackets.

The frame brackets were easy to find, the actual Rock Rails not so easyā€¦
They obviously donā€™t come with any bolts or instructions.

I wanted the rails for some protection, but primarily wanted to fill in some of the Gap at the back of the Bed.
I always liked the look the Rails give the JT.

My guess is most after market rear bumpers will fill in the area the Rock Rails use now, and probably incorporate some type of step. *Rubicon owners in some cases might have to remove them if they go to an aftermarket Bumper.

I plan on staying with the stock bumper for now, so this was my best option. *Just about $400 for everything, which is a expensive for what it isā€¦*

The one difficult part is trimming the bumper to accommodate the Rock Rail. You have to trim off about 3 inches in the pattern of the Rock Rail.

You also have to remove 2 brackets, 1 metal and one Plastic, on each side of the bumper for the Rock Rail to attach. The Rock Rail replaces these brackets.

RR1.jpg
rr4.jpg
rr3.jpg
rr2.jpg

If anyone else decides to do this here are a few suggestions.
  1. Donā€™t remove the bumper to trim it for the Rock Rail.
  2. Leave it in place and take your time to trim it out.
  3. How you trim/cut the bumper is very visible, so go slow and steady.
  4. I trimmed the bumper with a razor and then filed it to Rock Rail.
  5. I also used 1/8 edging trim to give it a better finished look.
This will work for now, but if a good "light weight" rear bumper becomes available, I'll have some rear rails for sale.
Sponsored

Last edited:

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
If anyone is wondering if the Mopar Jeep Rear Bed Rock Rails will fit the Sport and Overland Models, they will with a little work.. smile

There are 4 pieces to the rails, 1 frame bracket that attaches to the frame with 3 bolts and the Rock Rails themselves attach to the bumper with 2 bolts and 3 bolts to attach to the frame brackets.

I wanted the rails for some protection, but primarily wanted to fill in some of the Gap at the back of the Bed.

My guess is most after market rear bumpers will fill in the area the Rock Rails use now, and probably incorporate some type of step. *Rubicon owners in some cases might have to remove them if they go to an aftermarket Bumper.

I plan on staying with the stock bumper for now, so this was my best option. *Just about $400 for everything, which is a expensive for what it isā€¦*

The one difficult part is trimming the bumper to accommodate the Rock Rail. You have to trim off about 3 inches in the pattern of the Rock Rail.

You also have to remove 2 brackets, 1 metal and one Plastic, on each side of the bumper for the Rock Rail to attach. The Rock Rail replaces these brackets.

RR1.jpg
rr4.jpg
rr3.jpg
rr2.jpg

This will work for now, but if a good "light weight" rear bumper becomes available, I'll have some rear rails for sale.
can you post the part numbers you ordered?

Moab

First Name
Dion
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Jeep Gladiator Overland, ā€˜17 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, ā€˜73 Porsche 914-6 GT,
Thanks for taking the time to do a write up.
I hope to do this eventually as I have an Overland. Would make a decent step back there as well for certain situations. Have it bookmarked. Looks great.

Jake

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Sport
Donā€™t think it would be much of a step. You may be interested to know that AMP Research Products has a rear bumper step out. I think it should be available on 9/12/19. Will only work on passenger side and will work for all Gladiator models from base Sport to Rubicon.
C8890DD1-C455-4DE4-B385-CEBE0B366A0E.jpeg

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
Donā€™t think it would be much of a step. You may be interested to know that AMP Research Products has a rear bumper step out. I think it should be available on 9/12/19. Will only work on passenger side and will work for all Gladiator models from base Sport to Rubicon.
C8890DD1-C455-4DE4-B385-CEBE0B366A0E.jpeg
That's funny, only for passenger side but it's showing on the driver side... =)

rolape2

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 XLT FX4 (wifes); 2020 Jeep Gator Gladiator, Sport S, Max tow; 1988 Suzuki Samurai; 1994 BMW 325i Cabrio; 2004 Coachman Aurora Motorhome.
Looks very nice. The trim really adds a finished look to it. Parts a little expensive, but a lot cheaper than a whole new bumper.
P.S. The amp steps are nice. I have one on my F350. It does stick though after a few years of road salt.

OP
OP
ColoradoGlad

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Looks very nice. The trim really adds a finished look to it. Parts a little expensive, but a lot cheaper than a whole new bumper.
P.S. The amp steps are nice. I have one on my F350. It does stick though after a few years of road salt.
Appreciate the feedback..

It fills that back area for a more complete look...

Plus I actually hit on it the other day and I was smiling!
No damage to the JT or the Rail.. Didn't even scratch it, but it sounded like it sure did... :)

Sixt7gt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S max tow, LJ, M725
Whole rear bumper, rails, and brackets available from a Rubi takeoff near me.
I just wanted the rails, but this tells me buying new rails and brackets are as much as the takeoff, plus I'd have to permanently mod the original bumper.

Thunder Cloud

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2007 Ram 3500 MC DRW, 2002 Mustang
Occupation
GE Aviation
If anyone is wondering if the Mopar Jeep Rear Bed Rock Rails will fit the Sport and Overland Models, they will with a little work..

RR1.jpg
rr4.jpg
rr3.jpg
rr2.jpg

I realize this post is from last August, just wondering if you had info on the hardware (bolt info)

Sponsored

OP
OP
ColoradoGlad

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Whole rear bumper, rails, and brackets available from a Rubi takeoff near me.
I just wanted the rails, but this tells me buying new rails and brackets are as much as the takeoff, plus I'd have to permanently mod the original bumper.
If you can get everything, it will probably be less expensive...
Plus you won't have to trim your existing bumper...

I still like the factory look of the rear bumper/rails better than any of the aftermarket bumpers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColoradoGlad

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
I realize this post is from last August, just wondering if you had info on the hardware (bolt info)
The bolts you need to get are;
6 2" 14mm bolts that attach the rail brackets to the frame.
6 2" 12mm bolts that attach the rail to the frame bracket.
The bolts that attach the frame bracket to the bumper are the same that were used on the brackets I removed.
All the nuts are on the frame or the frame bracket.
Most of the bolts I had on hand, but Ace or HD should carry everything you need.
Ace has an incredible selection of bolts, nuts and fasteners!

BTW, this was well worth the efforts and cost... These have saved me some body damage several times.. smile

Gren71

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JT sports S Max Tow
Occupation
Magician
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to being quarantined I finally had time to give this my attention today.

i used the pictured dremel bit and it made it a breeze to slowly and smoothly cut the bumper plastic.

I ordered basically the same trim as the OP and followed those steps.

VERY pleased with the end result!
Huge thanks to the OP for this.

DBE14636-3A2B-4160-BF11-89F46E775E44.jpeg

B08EB6D7-5B64-4EEF-97A7-2A421436C913.jpeg

F3878EC7-5C49-4C4A-B2C2-57039617885A.jpeg

4D0A2F9D-5DC8-4069-ADB0-C45986927E33.jpeg

46B9816D-0099-4F72-9525-F78942B33ABA.jpeg

2F4A1175-6346-4878-B01E-1EE68615024E.jpeg

F3154824-750F-4B2D-B62C-1C0DD1924752.jpeg

OP
OP
ColoradoGlad

ColoradoGlad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Thanks to being quarantined I finally had time to give this my attention today.

i used the pictured dremel bit and it made it a breeze to slowly and smoothly cut the bumper plastic.

I ordered basically the same trim as the OP and followed those steps.

VERY pleased with the end result!
Huge thanks to the OP for this.

DBE14636-3A2B-4160-BF11-89F46E775E44.jpeg

B08EB6D7-5B64-4EEF-97A7-2A421436C913.jpeg

F3878EC7-5C49-4C4A-B2C2-57039617885A.jpeg

4D0A2F9D-5DC8-4069-ADB0-C45986927E33.jpeg

46B9816D-0099-4F72-9525-F78942B33ABA.jpeg

2F4A1175-6346-4878-B01E-1EE68615024E.jpeg

F3154824-750F-4B2D-B62C-1C0DD1924752.jpeg

Well done! Looks great and they will actually help when needed....
I'm still not a fan of any of the aftermarket bumpers out there right now, so I'm appreciating my setup.
Some of the aftermarket bumpers out there are actually pretty bad looking, some are "ok"...

Colorado Gladiator... '

BTW, Looks like a Vmax in the garage? At first I thought it was a Vrod...
Sponsored