Sponsored

Light bright blows their motor, prodigy turbo the culprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sahara, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
1. They are Youtubers. They need some drama to gain followers and keep followers. This is how our society works. Soap Operas have become real life.

2. Anyone else find it odd how they constantly brag how great the tune company is then slam Prodigy but blame the tune???? Doesn't make much sense.
the issue was rod knock
Rod knock is caused by a severe failure of one or more crankshaft connecting rod bearings. Repairs require engine removal and complete disassembly at significant expense. The most common cause is lack of engine oil, this is usually the first part in an engine to fail when it runs out of oil

funny that has nothing to do with the tune or the product.. this is the type of crap people do not see between the lines.
those litebrite clowns Sid and Poundcake are completely full of crap.. I got to see some of the emails from prodigy to litebrite.. they claim they are broke and yada yada yada, but later on talk about their sponsors.. best top pays them 90K plus expenses to continue to travel, they received the side by side for free along with the trailer. Prodigy gave them the system at no charge but did not make a contract with litebrite, so they took advantage of that for ratings I am sure.. which is pretty crappy considering the 3 people that work at prodigy are awesome, Christ following, honest guys.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL sahara, 2020 Jeep Gladiator
Pre-ignition if bad enough will beat the bottom end out of an engine.

Positive manifold pressure on an 11.5 :1 engine with low octane fuel and a bad tune, will definitely destroy a bottom end.
very true, I have some Videos of 3.6 pentastar engines with busted rod and the bearings in perfect working condition.. so if you had enough detonation to damage the bearings the rod would snap before it would do anything to the bearings..

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)
Pre-ignition if bad enough will beat the bottom end out of an engine.

Positive manifold pressure on an 11.5 :1 engine with low octane fuel and a bad tune, will definitely destroy a bottom end.
Ya, I have done this myself to a small block.... Pre-ignition will absolutely spin a bearing.

As for the oil, that was pickup from the valve cover pcv and burned through the intake side, not pushed past the rings from the sump.. that isn't likely unless they already had bore problems, and would be unrelated to bearing issues. You would have to burn a hell of a lot of oil to actually lower the level by an appreciable amount. It is possible that they were steep enough that the pump pickup was sucking air (I don't know if the P-star has the pickup in the center, rear, or mid of the sump). Possible but unlikely.

I should add that people wheel these things pretty hard, if oil starvation was an issue it would probably be showing up a lot more often.

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"
@TURBOCHARGED JL_JT , guess you wanted to set the record straight? like 11 of your 12 posts were on this thread in the last hour..... Not that I have a problem with that, just wondering whats your horse in this race? Do you work for Prodigy?

Oh I just checked, your 12th post was ALSO defending prodigy, weird!
here Another Video About Prodigy

Something rubs me the wrong way about a manufacturer posing to be a regular dude/chick. Just come out and open a sponsor account and set the record straight as you see it. The cloak and dagger thing just smells suspect.

I haven't read this whole thread, nor watched the whole video, but I would assume overboost, too much timing, bad fuel, bad tune, perhaps the oiling issue @TURBOCHARGED JL_JT pointed out all caused this problem. How does the turbo cause the problem? I'm slightly judging a book by its cover here. IF they pointed the blame in the video, they shouldn't have. But they didn't put it in the title of the YT video. I see the OP did on the title of this thread........

I recently watched a very successful youtuber that has a general contracting business. He really disliked the new floor joist/trusses they used on a job and on purpose said he wasn't going to name the manufacturer. That's a pro way to handle it.

rant over.......my bad.

EDIT: One more thing, IF prodigy did provide the ECU/TUNE then I would point blame at that, but not the Turbo itself.

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram TRX, 2020 Gladiator LE
Vehicle Showcase
@TURBOCHARGED JL_JT , guess you wanted to set the record straight? like 11 of your 12 posts were on this thread in the last hour..... Not that I have a problem with that, just wondering whats your horse in this race? Do you work for Prodigy?
When the person on a thread, posts for the first time on any thread, defending said thread, run...

Speaking from my own $15k mistake supercharging a 300C Hemi in 2006; if you're going to do something that factory will not warranty, you're taking all the risk.

Sponsored

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator, 1980 Chevrolet Corvette, 1930 Ford Roadster Pickup, 1930 Ford Station Wagon, 1930 Ford Phaeton, and an awesome 2004 Ford E-250 (the dangerwagon)

Something rubs me the wrong way about a manufacturer posing to be a regular dude/chick. Just come out and open a sponsor account and set the record straight as you see it. The cloak and dagger thing just smells suspect.
Not to go full tinfoil hat, but his profile picture is the same as they use for advertising. His location is Florida, Seems suspicious. Very possible that he is a big fan/ loyal customer though. Would like to hear back from him on what's up. https://prodigyperformance.com/products/jeep-jt-gladiator-turbo-kit/

And if he does have the secrete to getting it to run well, then share the info! People want these products to work!

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Not to go full tinfoil hat, but his profile picture is the same as they use for advertising. His location is Florida, Seems suspicious. Very possible that he is a big fan/ loyal customer though. Would like to hear back from him on what's up. https://prodigyperformance.com/products/jeep-jt-gladiator-turbo-kit/

And if he does have the secrete to getting it to run well, then share the info! People want these products to work!
Yeah this is highly suspicious. A brand new account making all their posts in a year old thread defending a product. Makes me think it's actually somebody at Prodigy, and if so I just lost even more respect for the company.

Bowerss2

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Smaller injector at first.. but with HPtuners and tuning capabilities of the new day you can throw boost at higher compression now.
I feel like you are flailing around here.

Preignition is going to throw a serious beating at the crank and piston bearings which is going to give you rod knock and piston slap. Preignition is caused by low octane fuel and high chamber temperatures. This is where intercoolers and aggressive rich mixtures come into play; lowering charge air temperatures and using over fueling to cool the chamber can help control it as will making changes to the injector timing and ignition timing. Ultimately though, lowering the static compression ratio will go further in making power and engine longevity.

The general tone of this whole thread is not that the turbo killed the motor but more that the implimentation of the turbo was not as expansive as perhaps it should have been.

So back to the rod knock. The rod knock and piston slap can be caused by the chamber pressures arriving out of time or being too intense as in too rapid a rise. Preignition anyone? This will cause physical contact between the journal and the bearing because the forces are greater than the fluid shear strength of the oil: viscosity, pumping pressure and surface tension and all that. Once they kiss the bearing loses some integrity and gets out of round by a smidge. Now do this again and again and again... so as these clearances increase the oil pressure starts to decrease because as we know the "oil pressure" is really the resistance to flow through the bearing passages and is a function of the pumps volume and speed. So once the clearances are too big the pump just can't keep up and now the bearings fail and the rod is just flying in formation. This leads to little to no oiling . The rest of the block, cylinders will starve and the rings will scuff and then score the block, cams will run dry and scuff then gall the valve train and ultimately may snap once they get out of cylindricity and concentricity with their bores.

But when does the rod fail you may be wondering. Well which failure do you mean? Greatly increased chamber pressures will lead to the rod failing in compression, bending or twisting and fractures at the wrist pin. Overspeeding and out of time ignition will typically lead to failures in tension, plastic stretch and fractures of beam and crank and wrist failures.

So did the turbo kill the engine? Not simply. Did LB fail to heed the warning signs and continue to operate the engine despite the state of tune? Highly likely.

So, why not stop shilling, be honest and defend your product from a pure engineering stand point instead of telling everyone else how right you are by telling us how wrong we are.

The ultimate take away here is that you don't just turbo a modern engine because of all the work that went into developing it to stock form. Given the millions that went into developing it, margins on everything are tiny to start so the latitude you have to play is very limited unless you start performing rocket surgery to make the conditions you need to do what you want.

Sponsored

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Jetta TDI RIP, 89' Civic SI, 2019 Pacifica Hybrid, 2020 GLADIATOR SPORT S "GLADYS"

steffen707

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, why not stop shilling, be honest and defend your product from a pure engineering stand point instead of telling everyone else how right you are by telling us how wrong we are.
Because as @Bowerss2 probably discovered correctly, @TURBOCHARGED JL_JT is the head of sales at Prodigy, NOT engineering.:CWL::asshat:

ACAD_Cowboy

First Name
Francis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 jkur
Yeah... about that.

But remember, it was rod knock pure and simple. Came out of clear blue sky, probably electrical in nature. And remaning an engine is such an expensive and time consuming process that you are better off just letting #NAME REDACTED# turbo charging company just get you a new engine.

Assuming you have the parts you need you can extract and break an engine down in a few hours. Machining can take a day to work the block, crank and heads, two at most if there isn't horrendous damage. Reassembly and reinstalling a good two days depending on help at hand.

Take out motors are of course cheaper and quicker if you're on the hook for a blown motor but they are chock full of questions without answers. Me personally I would avoid the cowards way out and just build it. Which begs the question, what's happening to all the blown take outs? Is there a warehouse rack just full of 3.6L collecting dust. I would make lemonade out of that shit sandwich and have a ready supply of run in rebuilds ready to go, perhaps even with the turbo installed and the necessary internal mods done to ensure a long long life, piston oilers and a beefy cooler come to mind.

But hey I don't sell the stuff, what do I know.

Last edited:

ThatStinging_Jeep

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon In Sting Gray
Vehicle Showcase
Prodigy is fairly active on these forums. I wonder how they will respond to this.
XD lol they are just gonna say "F#ck off,its your fault"just like exodus jeeps got treated they got treated like trash and calling them names and blaming them as well wich is not ok
Sponsored