First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Anyone know how I can pump up the towing capabilities on a Gladiator Rubicon with a 6 speed manual transmission? I understand it tows less than the automatic mainly due to the stress expected on the clutch. Would a heavy duty clutch solve the problem? Bought the truck and then was lucky to get a great deal on a boat, but the boat/trailer is 4600 pounds (not to mention people and gear) and the manual truck tows 4500. Would a heavy duty clutch get me closer to the 7000lb capability of the automatic?
Sponsored

LostWoods

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 4Runner / 1995 YJ
The transmission is the weakness so improving the clutch is probably your only bet. There is zero chance you'll get near 7k and in any case, your door jamb will always have the low rating. You get in an accident, nobody is going to care what you did to improve it if you get sued.

ArkansasPig

First Name
Daddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport 6MT - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Digital Marketing
Anyone know how I can pump up the towing capabilities on a Gladiator Rubicon with a 6 speed manual transmission? I understand it tows less than the automatic mainly due to the stress expected on the clutch. Would a heavy duty clutch solve the problem? Bought the truck and then was lucky to get a great deal on a boat, but the boat/trailer is 4600 pounds (not to mention people and gear) and the manual truck tows 4500. Would a heavy duty clutch get me closer to the 7000lb capability of the automatic?
I haul up to a couple thousand pounds in mine (Manual trans Sport S).

If I had to haul a big boat, I’d personally have an older pickup to use for that kind of work.

I had a nice 1997 f150 for a while that I finally got rid of this year because I didn’t use it much anymore. If I managed to hurt that truck, I didn’t care because I didn’t have 40k in it.

OP
OP

Roscoe64

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Thank you

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Certified Emergency Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Towed about 5500 lbs (2 tons of stone on my 7x14double axle trailer that weighs 1500lbs) and it was ok. Mostly flat and pretty short distance. Definitely know it was back there but not a big deal. I think 7k might be a stretch with the stock clutch. Maybe occasionally on flat terrain. I’m going to a Centerforce clutch and I’ll be routinely towing 4500lbs. Not worried at all. Will provide an update once the clutch upgrade is all planned.

07185B8A-295F-4A00-831D-0EFB79F0CE81.jpeg

1B59570C-42D7-4DBE-922A-F915BE1C7F71.jpeg

415D7894-F577-436D-9059-C40A64937857.jpeg

Sponsored

Markpod7

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
This guys is towing well over the max with 37” pretty sure this thing will hold up if only towing occasionally.

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Another problem with the manual is that it doesn't have enough first gear (creeper gear) to help you take off. The complex flywheel/clutch is intended to be user friendly, and dampen vibrations. An aftermarket single-disc clutch usually has a very thick, enormously heavy flywheel to make up the space taken by the stock dual disc clutch and dual mass flywheel. It does not dampen vibrations and is hard on bearings, both engine and transmission. The most practical fix is the South Bend Clutch approach, which replaces the hollow center plate that is prone to failure with a solid plate.

I love manual transmissions and have used them as long as I have been driving. However, the 8 speed auto in my JT is wonderful, giving a much more powerful combination, in effect, with its steep creeper first gear (and torque converter) along with double overdrive for highway driving. It gives better ratios at both ends compared to the JK 5 speed with 3.73 or 4.10.

hjdca

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon manual Sting Gray
Build Thread
Link
Another problem with the manual is that it doesn't have enough first gear (creeper gear) to help you take off. The complex flywheel/clutch is intended to be user friendly, and dampen vibrations. An aftermarket single-disc clutch usually has a very thick, enormously heavy flywheel to make up the space taken by the stock dual disc clutch and dual mass flywheel. It does not dampen vibrations and is hard on bearings, both engine and transmission. The most practical fix is the South Bend Clutch approach, which replaces the hollow center plate that is prone to failure with a solid plate.

I love manual transmissions and have used them as long as I have been driving. However, the 8 speed auto in my JT is wonderful, giving a much more powerful combination, in effect, with its steep creeper first gear (and torque converter) along with double overdrive for highway driving. It gives better ratios at both ends compared to the JK 5 speed with 3.73 or 4.10.
The automatic tranny is way better for towing, no doubt. For the Gladiator, the first gear for the 6 speed is 5.13 and the first gear for the automatic is 4.71, so, the 6 speed manual has a lower first gear. In the Rubicon with 4.10 rear end, this low first gear is great for letting the clutch out fast and crawling in bumper to bumper traffic. It is also a fantastic granny gear in 4WL - no clutch required in tough situations.

OP
OP

Roscoe64

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Sales
Great and useful information, the limiting factor for this is the 4500lb stamp on the door frame for towing capacity. Towing my 4600 lb boat will immediately void my insurance. Game over. I went to the dealership and explained the issue, owned the truck for less than 24 hrs, and they helped me to swap into the automatic - great service and great customer care at Unique Chrysler in Burlington, Ontario - they made sure I was happy and now a proud owner of an automatic Gladiator Rubicon.

First Name
Spin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1947 CJ-2A, 2020 JTR MT, 1934 Huppmobile 421J,
Occupation
Welder
First tow with the 35's(all stock other than the tires)... about 4k lbs, it wasn't the worst I guess. Did this same tow with the the stock setup, it was better, but not by much. Second and 3rd are my new friends while 5th and sixth are now total ex-girlfriends . Pretty wimpy up all Colorado hwy passes.

20200619_200543.jpg

20200619_200502.jpg

Sponsored

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
First tow with the 35's(all stock other than the tires)... about 4k lbs, it wasn't the worst I guess. Did this same tow with the the stock setup, it was better, but not by much. Second and 3rd are my new friends while 5th and sixth are now total ex-girlfriends . Pretty wimpy up all Colorado hwy passes.

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Towing with manual transmission 20200619_200502

Jeep Gladiator Gladiator Towing with manual transmission 20200619_200502
Makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Bbannongmu

First Name
JTR.Spartacus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
m.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Update 14 months later but just got my tracking number and pics of my new Centerforce Clutch. Just put in 5.13 gears and in the break in period ( )Then on to the clutch. Once everything is broken in and diff oil changed I’ll do some towing and off-road to see how it is.

09D6C9D0-3162-435C-961F-5622F13F30DC.jpeg
Sponsored