Rock hard 4x4 rock rails installed

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
I just had my first "piss off price" from the same dealer. $900 for installing Rubicon Shocks and Springs. I will be doing that at school on the lift. Perhaps we need to do a Rock Slider party.
Well I just ordered mine. 2-3 weeks and maybe party time then ;)
Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
Rather than letting the loctite "set" again, I suggest removing each bolt separately and greasing the threads before re-inserting.

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Ordered mine and I am nervous about snapping these bolts. Is it as bad as everyone is saying?

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
Just installed mine tonight. 2.5 hours. Had to file out some of the pinch weld holes, front bolts had red loctite so those were a nightmare to get out, but never felt at risk of breaking a bolt using a 2’ breaker bar. Those metal retainer clips in the middle body bolt were equally as annoying. Most of the time was on the front bolts and trying to release the middle bolts from their clips. Pics tomorrow but they are very well made and look like a stock part or at least close to it. Very happy with the purchase.

pacificoflyr

First Name
Tank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
Just installed mine tonight. 2.5 hours. Had to file out some of the pinch weld holes, front bolts had red loctite so those were a nightmare to get out, but never felt at risk of breaking a bolt using a 2’ breaker bar. Those metal retainer clips in the middle body bolt were equally as annoying. Most of the time was on the front bolts and trying to release the middle bolts from their clips. Pics tomorrow but they are very well made and look like a stock part or at least close to it. Very happy with the purchase.
Awesome, thanks for the info! Stoked to get mine!

Sponsored

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
I should mention that the Allen bolts I used, from McMaster, have shorter threaded parts than OEM. The lengths of 120 mm and 220 mm that I used are good for the center and rear positions with one Rock Hard .2" washer and one .1" grade 9 washer, but use two of each in the front positions (Rock Hard sent two extra thick washers). That keeps you from running out of threaded end in the front positions. You could use slightly shorter bolts, since the video on broken body mount bolt showed that they are longer than required to go all the way through the welded nuts in the body tub.

rvillano8188

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JT Rubi, 2018 VW Tiguan SEL
Occupation
Financial Services
I should mention that the Allen bolts I used, from McMaster, have shorter threaded parts than OEM. The lengths of 120 mm and 220 mm that I used are good for the center and rear positions with one Rock Hard .2" washer and one .1" grade 9 washer, but use two of each in the front positions (Rock Hard sent two extra thick washers). That keeps you from running out of threaded end in the front positions. You could use slightly shorter bolts, since the video on broken body mount bolt showed that they are longer than required to go all the way through the welded nuts in the body tub.
even rock hard’s bolts are shorter than OEM.
Here’s mine installed
Jeep Gladiator Rock hard 4x4 rock rails installed 062A3124-436A-4F91-BB6C-1C53532CE668

whiteglad

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
It looks like the stock bolts are maybe 3/8" or so longer than necessary, based on the photo of the broken body bolt in the video. However, you don't want them too short or they won't get full threads of the welded nut. My Rock Hard bolts were basically the same length as stock, but the thick washers take away about .2" from that. For a trouble free installation, with the allen bolts, I suggest 110 mm and 220 mm long. The rock rail tab adds 3/8" thickness so the bolts need to be longer.

Last edited:

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I just wanted to add I bought these, installed them fine. I felt extremely nervous with a few body mount bolts, but going slowly and retightening/loosening did the trick. I love these sliders.

WhiteJT8541

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport
Occupation
LEO
Used an impact and had no problems. Only problem I had during install was the need to use a step up bit to make the holes in the pinch weld a little larger to match up with the holes on the slider.

Sponsored

FR33DOM

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Hyundai Veracruz & 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon LE
I just wanted to add I bought these, installed them fine. I felt extremely nervous with a few body mount bolts, but going slowly and retightening/loosening did the trick. I love these sliders.
Just got mine on today and had similar experience. If they felt tight I gave it a little heat gun but didn’t feel like that made as much difference as just working them back in a turn or two before resuming the out again. No issues. I did however have to drill nearly all the pinch weld holes out with a 1/2” bit. No biggie.
Jeep Gladiator Rock hard 4x4 rock rails installed E2790EE2-3B12-475A-A405-51EDF61F2A5E

Bonanza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Max Tow Punk'n
I did a little drilling too. Fantastically easy though, just widening holes.

eternus

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sting-Gray Sport S Max Tow
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Product Manager
I love the Rock Hard angled up sliders. Just added 1" wide Shur Tape anti-skid to the tops of the outer rails. Doesn't get in the way when entering or exiting, but gives a secure grip for standing on the rail.
Do the Ace rails still go around the rubicon rails? I kind of liked that with the old wranglers, but also hate that I'd need to buy both for my Sport.

rickrogan

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Yes, they go around (under?) and provide a decent step. Here is a not-so-bad pic. I have the Rock Hard for my 07 JK and the Ace for my JTR. Both on on 35s, the JK has a 3 ½" lift and the JTR has the Mopar 2", so the step is a welcome assist.
Jeep Gladiator Rock hard 4x4 rock rails installed AceRockRails