Sponsored

Power Sliding Rear Window - It's possible!

ddubb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Sting Gray & 2013 Jeep Wrangler JKU
Great work on coming up with this solution! Do you have to leave the back window unlatched all the time now, if you intend to use the automatic opening unassisted?

If you ever decide to start selling these units, count me in

Clay

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Retired LEO
What! You mean that little ole window opens! Damn! What are they going to think of next!

MudderTruker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Hilux SR5 and Jeep Renegade ... name is on the list for a Gladiator!
Occupation
Computer dude
What! You mean that little ole window opens! Damn! What are they going to think of next!
Next they will put special holders to hold cups ... :D

GladnotSad

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Gladiator
Occupation
VP Ops
Has there been any update to this project?

Sponsored

flyerness

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Sport S
Like many of you, I think the Bestop Sunrider is one of the best additions to the Gladiator. However, since using the Sunrider, I notice that I have to open a rear window or I will get "side window buffeting" or "Helmholtz Resonance" which google tells me is the correct term. The rear sliding window is perfect to control this as rear passengers might not want the side windows down and wind in their face and I use the Sunrider even when it is quite cool.

Several times I have caught myself forgetting to close the rear sliding window after using the Sunrider, or unable to open the rear sliding window while flipping back the Sunrider while in motion. That's why I started to wonder if I could create a power rear sliding window option that could be controlled from the driver's position. After some trial and error, here is what I came up with:

I attached a 12 volt, 300mm, 256:1 mini track actuator to the plastic panel below and to the right of the rear window (link below). This unit has a maximum force of 67lbs, but the trade-off is that it is slow. I first tried a faster unit with 11lbs of force, but it couldn't move the window at all as there is to much play and friction in the window sliding track. The company makes a 64:1 unit that might work, but after their 22:1 unit couldn't handle the job, I just went right to the strongest option.

The hardest part was figuring out how to transfer the power from the actuator to the window. I finally landed on using 1 inch extruded aluminum tubing in black (link below) which I attached to the actuator tabs using the supplied machine screws, and then used stainless wood screws to affix the top of the tubing to the large rubber square on the bottom right of the rear sliding window. This connection is much stronger than I anticipated, as I have opened and closed the window at least 20 times. Admittedly, this is also where I think the most likely point of failure will be over time, but we will see. There is a quick disconnect of the wiring near the motor of the actuator when I remove the hard top.

I ran and concealed the wires from the actuator along the driver's side to the momentary DPDT rocker switch I bought off Amazon (link below). Although you can program the Gladiator Aux Switches to be momentary, you need the ability to reverse the polarity (to close the window) which is why this switch is needed. I laid out and cut the hole for the switch on the bottom panel by the driver's left knee as there is nothing behind this panel. I drilled holes in all four corners of the layout rectangle and connected them with a small band saw. Then I used a razor blade to fine tune the hole to accept the switch.

Next, I ran the wires to the Aux Switch 3 connection under the passenger foot well.

Last step was to cut off the plastic locking tab on the on the window catch. I did this with a cordless cut-off tool which worked fine, but I slightly scratched the rest of the tab. I then cleaned the cut ends of the tab with a razor blade. There is probably a better method. As far as security, the resistance on the motor is at least as strong as the removed tab, so I'm not concerned about that.

So far, the set-up works great. The actuator and connection are barely noticeable, and I think the aesthetics blend in well. Only downsides are that the unit is very slow and loud, but I don't really care as the point is to open/close the rear sliding window a 1/4 way when the Sunrider is open/closed.

I hope this helps someone that wants to try the same thing!

Video of window in action:

https://www.actuonix.com/T16-S-Micro-Track-Actuator-with-Limit-Switches-p/t16-s.htm

https://eztube.com/product/100-100-square-aluminum-tube/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FA9UNMA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

AE640B15-A1E4-4DC6-8E23-AB67E455277B.jpeg

CDE28A86-2603-4852-B3D4-2DD6FD8140F9.jpeg

5B6EACC1-DC24-44D1-AA2E-098FB6834579.jpeg
Jeep Gladiator Power Sliding Rear Window - It's possible! macgyver

howerch

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
Occupation
Site manager For Siemens Gas Turbines
Vehicle Showcase
Found a different option for the Button. I am going to try it.
Button Kit
Alos comes with a handy wiring diagram to the actuator.

Attachments

howerch

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
Occupation
Site manager For Siemens Gas Turbines
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, that's the only place I used the black tubing. I should also point out that the folks at Actuonix saw the video and recommended that I try the 64:1 instead of the 256:1 and sent me the unit. It works great, and is MUCH faster.
Wow wish Ii had seen this earlier. LOL I just re-ordered the 64:1 thanks. I will try to return the 256:1

Sponsored

869 KPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
There are several posts on Toyota forums regarding power back window using Honda rear passenger window power units. And they move fast!
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/benwas-2005-power-sliding-rear-window-quick-install-kit.171805/
Looking at this guy's kit for the taco, it looks about 95% like the kit that came with my CR Laurence Power Slider for my Ram. Makes me wonder if you could just order a replacement motor assembly and such for a CRL Taco (similar size to Jeep?) install and make it work for the Jeep .... If MY 2022 doesn't add this option then I will probably eventually go this route. That rear slider has been worth every penny.
Jeep Gladiator Power Sliding Rear Window - It's possible! 1620166435020

borntostun

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Curious if the original design has held up . . . ?

Also, has anyone successfully installed the Tacoma version?

I'm thinking about giving it a try. Thanks.

RavensEyeOffroad

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Mojave
Build Thread
Link
I would open the window more often if it was electric. I just never fool with it otherwise. Great ingenuity.
Too bad there isn't some sort of rigid arm you could attach (even with a small suction cup) that the motor would just pull one way or the other.
Sort of like an arm that was taught enough to shut the window back but could also roll up to not take up much space.

SpeedNeed

First Name
Speed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon, S4, Panamera
Electric-opening rear window revisited: Does anyone know if there is a kit or product for this yet?

JAVYPRO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Engineer
Y’all ingenuity is awesome. I got to build me one, it should have come with from the factory
Javy
Sponsored