Sponsored

Just my luck

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
Got my long awaited JT last week and guess what....
Yesterday got it on a highway and could not believe that it is brand new truck of year 2020.
Steering all over the place. I will go to a dealer today, following advices from this forum.
But another issue is suspension:
I noticed its unusual stiffens even on slow rides, but of 60-70 mph it becomes dangerous. When a trucks hit some holes, bumps on a pavement it looks like it does not absorb it at all. It jumps, so it gets scary.
What can it be? The only mod I have installed is 1.5 inch leveling kit w/stock shocks.

And BTW 1999 Wrangler has been my daily driver for almost 10 years, so it is not a "Jeep thing".

Thank you!
Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
Did you do the leveling kit install yourself? Have you checked to make sure bolts for track bars, control arms, shocks and swaybar links are all torqued to spec? All over the place is not a Jeep thing. Not driving like a Honda is a Jeep thing but I have never felt it unsafe. What you are describing sounds like loose control arms or track bar to me.

AustinL911

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR 6MT
Occupation
Nurse
Has this new truck been sitting on a lot for awhile? I don't know when FCA switched over to the new steering box, but I would assume yours is the older version if its wandering.

As for the bouncing, my guess would be shocks being too stiff. Im not familiar enough with leveling kits, but if its messing with stock shock lengths, that may very well be the problem as well. Try giving it some time to see if they break in if it truly is a new truck.

My DD of the past 13 years, a Colorado Xtreme, jumps all over the place when it hits a bump at highway speeds. Drives me nuts. The back end will kick out and if Im not paying attention, it'll change lanes on me.

OP
OP

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
Did you do the leveling kit install yourself? Have you checked to make sure bolts for track bars, control arms, shocks and swaybar links are all torqued to spec? All over the place is not a Jeep thing. Not driving like a Honda is a Jeep thing but I have never felt it unsafe. What you are describing sounds like loose control arms or track bar to me.
Yes, I did install it myself and checked the torque on all the joints. The steering behavior is similar to one described here
https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/loose-steering-dealers-response.22179/

XJADDICTION

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT SS Max Tow, 2005 WK Hemi, 2013 Mustang GT
Occupation
Surgical CSFA
WHat is your tire pressure? They ship these JTs way over the 35psi, I had over 50 psi in mine when I bought it.

Sponsored

Phljeeper

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
I work
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
Has this new truck been sitting on a lot for awhile? I don't know when FCA switched over to the new steering box, but I would assume yours is the older version if its wandering.
Not really, it has been built for me. In fact that is 2021 year model.

As for the bouncing, my guess would be shocks being too stiff. Im not familiar enough with leveling kits, but if its messing with stock shock lengths, that may very well be the problem as well. Try giving it some time to see if they break in if it truly is a new truck.
Yes, a leveling kit extends the shock's length. I'll give it a bit more time to settle. The ruck is brаnt new - 400 miles only.

OP
OP

Komesk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ 1999
WHat is your tire pressure? They ship these JTs way over the 35psi, I had over 50 psi in mine when I bought it.
I'll double check. Good point!

Jeeperjamie

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep gladiator
Occupation
Weyerhaeuser
Vehicle Showcase
Did it drive like this before you installed the leveling kit. If yours is a 2021 then you got the new steering box so no luck getting that replaced. A 1.5" leveling kit isn't going to make a difference to notice as far as shocks go and how they perform. I had a 2.5" lift kit put on mine and didn't notice any difference in how mine rode or drove other than it was better than stock as far as how it handled, but still great when it was stock. Mines a 2020 and I have not had my steering box replaced yet. If I was you I'd check all your suspension components again and make sure there is nothing loose.

I run my tire pressure at 40psi on 315 70 17 BFG KO2S, it seems to feel better than when I had it at 33psi.

Sponsored

Terry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Private Investigator
Vehicle Showcase
I have 10K on my 2020 JTR and while the steering is not comparable to my Volvo XC70, it is far from dangerous. Drove it 55 to 65 on dirt roads, in heavy rain on highways, and in severe wind with the ARE Topper on and found it no less stable than any other similar vehicle I have owned.

Rockabillyroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT
I read about the steering issues and the first thing I did when I picked up my 2021 a few weeks back was to see if it had the new steering box. I figured it'd be all good. Then I took it on the highway and it felt like there was a little bit if wandering.
Got home and finally dawned on me that it might be the tire pressure. Found the display on the dash and sure enough, 47PSI. Wtf.
Took it down to 35 and all is good.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Overland
I'm sure you're aware of this, but it's common for live axle vehicles to feel like they may "jump" a little when hitting bumps and potholes, particularly when in even a slight turn. Your previous wrangler would've had live axles as well of course, but the JT might feel a bit different due to the much longer wheelbase.

Gvsukids

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Occupation
Delivery Driver
There was also a tsb for the steering stabilizer, have your dealership check that out. Mine was bad from the factory. (August 2020 build)

Last edited:

pbrevo64

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright White Gladiator Rubicon
Occupation
Project Manager
As others have stated, it could likely be your tire pressure being too high, compounded with the live axle behaviors. Our lovely Michigan roads have lots of potholes, bumps and dips, and on big bumps on the highway I notice the jumpiness as well. I run my tires at about 40psi, and cruise about 78mph, so between those mine jumps some. The steering TSB seemed to fix it some, at least making the steering wheel feel more solid on the bumps.
Sponsored