Sponsored

How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself

Are you getting the Diesel for MPG or for the torque?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

itsdapk

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgerssuperchargers.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mojave , 2019 Ram
Occupation
Sales Manager @ Hamburger's Superchargers
They don't take into account how much fuel is used during Regen. You basically lose what mpg gained when it dumps fuel to burnoff the soot.
Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
They don't take into account how much fuel is used during Regen. You basically lose what mpg gained when it dumps fuel to burnoff the soot.

Fake news. If you drive a mile to work and back you might get a forced regen that eats up a little fuel but that's once in a blue moon at best. Typically you'll regen while driving and wont notice a loss in mileage at all.

ssteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
camaro, audi Q, cj2a, ram
For a couple of years I worked for a large trucking operation in the service department and I witnessed the changes to the tractor trailers as they converted the fleet to DEF systems mandated by law. The cost in maintenance tripled for each truck.

It is my firm belief there will be no savings having a diesel engine if it is running mandated DEF systems. A leaking egr cooler would dump coolant into the catalizer and particulate filter. This would crack the ceramic cores of the catalizer. In the end, it would entail the replacement of the egr cooler, catalizer, particulate filter, some sensors and clamps. Only $20,000 free since its under warranty.

While the components are not as large or as expensive as a car or truck they will still be significant compared to a gasoline engine system.

I will not get a new diesel for this reason alone.
100k warranty plus I believe emissions equipment is extended. If you buy a ecodiesel or the mini van motor to keep for the rest of your life, your probably buying the wrong truck. Its not a toyota with a 22R.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, F-350 diesel, Porsche Spyder, Model Y
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Fake news. If you drive a mile to work and back you might get a forced regen that eats up a little fuel but that's once in a blue moon at best. Typically you'll regen while driving and wont notice a loss in mileage at all.

Agree completely. On my '14 Ecodiesel we have averaged just over 25 mpg in almost 80K miles. In my F-350 we have averaged just about 14 mpg over 60 K miles but that gets used to haul a lot of stuff.

Also, there is a fuel program called the TSD fuel card that allows you to fill up at many major diesel truck stops for anywhere between $.25 and $.80 less per gallon. It's a amazing program and it's free. We used it with our F-350 on our 15K trip to Alaska this summer and literally saved hundreds of dollars on the trip.

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Also, there is a fuel program called the TSD fuel card that allows you to fill up at many major diesel truck stops for anywhere between $.25 and $.80 less per gallon.
Do you know if they participate with Love's Truck Stops? Their website doesn't specify who is in their network.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
Do you know if they participate with Love's Truck Stops? Their website doesn't specify who is in their network.

Yes, Love’s, Truck Stops of America and Petro are a few they have. The actual discount varies in each truck stop but the map in the app shows each truck stop that participates and the most recent price paid. This allows you to know where the best price is within about 200 miles or so.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
Yes, Love’s, Truck Stops of America and Petro are a few they have. The actual discount varies in each truck stop but the map in the app shows each truck stop that participates and the most recent price paid. This allows you to know where the best price is within about 200 miles or so.
I'm having a difficult time finding the caveat and/or downside. What am I missing?

F3Orangeman

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JTOD, ’02 F-150 SCrew
Occupation
Stay-at-Home Financial Analyst (thanks to COVID)
I'm having a difficult time finding the caveat and/or downside. What am I missing?
In the FAQ on their website, the caveat I see is US bank checking account and SSN required for sign up. Cheaper for them, i.e., lower fees, using the ACH system to transfer $ than card payments. Never a fan of providing SSN, but we’ve all done it for mortgages and such. Just an additional risk to be aware of, IMO.

Jeep Gladiator How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself 1607717926940

Sponsored

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
In the FAQ on their website, the caveat I see is US bank checking account and SSN required for sign up. Cheaper for them, i.e., lower fees, using the ACH system to transfer $ than card payments. Never a fan of providing SSN, but we’ve all done it for mortgages and such. Just an additional risk to be aware of, IMO.
These are two drawbacks for me, especially the first one:

Can I use the car lane in the front? No, you must go through the commercial lanes in the back to receive the discount.

What is the 65 cent fee on some of my transactions? Some stores charge you a 65 cent fee each time you fuel.

biodiesel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
No one is on the 3.6 section saying any of this shit
Right? I stay in my lane, why can't they? Oh, that's because they are either jealous or regret their buying decision. ;)

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant
These are two drawbacks for me, especially the first one:

Can I use the car lane in the front? No, you must go through the commercial lanes in the back to receive the discount.

What is the 65 cent fee on some of my transactions? Some stores charge you a 65 cent fee each time you fuel.
those are two items that are part of the program. I was a little leary about pulling into the big rig lanes but no one gave me any grief over it. Just be sure to pull out as soon as you have completed your purchase.
So you mind paying $0.65 to save $10?? I really don’t see an issue with this. The program has to be administered by someone with all the back channel software that it takes to run properly.

Another way you’ll be saving money is that you can also buy DEF at these lanes that are dispensed just like your fuel and you know it’s fresh and it will be much cheaper than you can buy it in jugs.

smlobx

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi retired consultant

Jeep Gladiator How long it would take Diesel Engine MPG to pay for itself 1607717926940
I first found out about it on a Ford truck towing forum. There was an in-depth discussion and several people have joined based on the info there. I’ll post a link here and hopefully it won’t get deleted if you want to read more about what other people’s experiences have been....

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1603230-tsd-logistics-fuel-program-7.html

CrazyCooter

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.overlandvehicledynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
1991 JEEP YJ, 2021 JTR Ecodiesel
Occupation
Specialty Off Road Shop Owner
those are two items that are part of the program. I was a little leary about pulling into the big rig lanes but no one gave me any grief over it. Just be sure to pull out as soon as you have completed your purchase.
So you mind paying $0.65 to save $10?? I really don’t see an issue with this. The program has to be administered by someone with all the back channel software that it takes to run properly.

Another way you’ll be saving money is that you can also buy DEF at these lanes that are dispensed just like your fuel and you know it’s fresh and it will be much cheaper than you can buy it in jugs.
My buddy uses TSD all the time and saves bank! The direct ACH would be the only downside for me as I have an EIN# I would use instead of my SS#.
Sponsored