Survey- For those with misfire issues

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
Depends on what the vehicles are. FCA controllers have a VVT model a torque model and and air flow model. The air flow model can drift and cause light misfires at anytime. Ford and GM do their throttle diffently for most of their vehicles and their misfire sensors are tunes quite a bit different. GM went through Lnock sensor hell in 1994 with the LT engines
Sponsored

Sportyrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, TJ wrangler
Tvose are very much in the normal range. You will get a few every now and then as the truck ahiftout of a high gear to accelerate. Or if you are doing 30 to 40 percent throttle pulls from a light. High load low rpm. With high compression you will see these numbers especially with low octane fuel.
Thank you for this info. I had been asking what is a acceptable normal amount of missfires. Like others who are heading down this road I have been data logging and seeing minimal missfires on 1 bank ( single digits) and multiple hundreds on the other but couldnā€™t find out what is normal in a modern engine.

MauiBum

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what the vehicles are. FCA controllers have a VVT model a torque model and and air flow model. The air flow model can drift and cause light misfires at anytime. Ford and GM do their throttle diffently for most of their vehicles and their misfire sensors are tunes quite a bit different. GM went through Lnock sensor hell in 1994 with the LT engines
The other vehicles are Ford/Lincoln, so ecoboost. Thanks for the info. I'm going to hope that the flash and parts replacement has fixed the problem and I'm just overly sensitive at the moment. Time to put some miles on the rig.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I looked at some data just recently that leads to believe the injector trims may be a contribution fo this issue, explaining why you only see it on certain cylinders.

Papa Yeti

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, Coachman Mirada
Occupation
Retired
4th time in the shop..... new engine installed. It seems smoother,quieter and more pep. We will see......

Sponsored

Caderade

First Name
Cade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Teacher
Build date: Aug 2019
Picked up Gladiator in April 2020. Jeep has 10,900 miles on it. Passed around a vehicle on the Interstate and check engine light came on. Light went off after I got gas. Passed another vehicle and light came back on. Remote start is now stating disabled. Also when the CEL flashes the start/stop becomes disabled. Jeep seems to be running fine but I will take it in after Christmas. Hoping this isnā€™t the same problem found in this thread but it sounds like it may be.

Last edited:

Sportyrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, TJ wrangler
Build date: unknown
Picked up Gladiator in April 2020. Jeep has 10,900 miles on it. Passed around a vehicle on the Interstate and check engine light came on. Light went off after I got gas. Passed another vehicle and light came back on. Remote start is now stating disabled. Jeep seems to be running fine but I will take it in after Christmas. Hoping this isnā€™t the same problem found in this thread but it sounds like it may be.
My advice is to download Jscan and buy one of the Bluetooth code readers they recommend and pay the license fee ($18 ) . If you are only watching and resetting codes you donā€™t need the extra cable that way you know what is going on. Btw if you want the cable and not in a hurry you can get it for a lot less from one of the China import sites ( wish/ Alibaba.com ect. )

ExitLeft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
How many misfires are to many? This is from a 6.5 mile trip up to the store. The numbers were a little lower on the return trip. This is after the flash and replacing parts. I have not gotten a CEL or ESS light since the update but I have had times I would feel a stumble. Decided to log and see what I got.

1605892075355.png
Just curious what you're using to monitor the misfires while driving. Is it JSCAN type device or a handheld OBD2 scanner?
Thanks

Sportyrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator, TJ wrangler
Just curious what you're using to monitor the misfires while driving. Is it JSCAN type device or a handheld OBD2 scanner?
Thanks
Iā€™m using Jscan. The data is there but looks a little different
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 1608739714439

Sponsored

ExitLeft

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Overland
Iā€™m using Jscan. The data is there but looks a little different
Jeep Gladiator Survey- For those with misfire issues 1608739714439
Yep, JScan. Just on the "Boxes" tab instead "List".
Thanks guys. I guess it's time to get a JScan and have a look. I was having some misfiring with the CEL P0300 and the Auto Stop/Start error. In for repair 3 times with a total of over 30 days at the dealership. They seemed to have "fixed" it and I've put over 2000 miles on it with no CELs, but I swear I still feel a rumble at idle sometimes. I'd like to see exactly what's going on even if it doesn't trip the CEL.

SJK

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Rubicon; 2020 Gladiator Rubicon; 2017 Wrangler Willys;
FCA just bought back my 2020 Gladiator today. Never did address CEL and ESS needs service lights after 3 tries, nor after final opportunity given after delivery of letter under Floridaā€™s Lemon Law. My new 2021 Gladiator has 1800 or so miles n it with no issues. I am happy with the outcome and I am of the opinion that FCA treated me fairly.

RustyRodder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Comanche; 2021 Gladiator
Fiance's 2021 Gladiator just went back to the dealer for the second time in a week (First time it threw a bunch of O2/lean condition codes). Second time was the P0300. I'll include the first codes since it happened less than 20 miles apart.

Build date: 8/26/2020
Mileage when it first occurred: 1395
How many times has it occurred: 1
What exact codes did it throw: P0137, P0171, P0300 (Thrown at 1375: p0133, p0171, p0139, p2096)
Is the issue on going?
Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Replace upstream O2 sensor on bank 1
Was the issue ever fully resolved?
N/A

The dealer claimed the intial code was potentially caused by driving through deep snow (the pre-xmas storm in the northeast). The second code their preliminary response has been that when one O2 goes, sometimes a second one does.

Koja

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hydra Blue Gladiator (LEMON), 2021 Hydra blueJT 04 Rubicon, 04 Ultra classic
Occupation
Retired Sailor, what ever i can scrape together
Fiance's 2021 Gladiator just went back to the dealer for the second time in a week (First time it threw a bunch of O2/lean condition codes). Second time was the P0300. I'll include the first codes since it happened less than 20 miles apart.

Build date: 8/26/2020
Mileage when it first occurred: 1395
How many times has it occurred: 1
What exact codes did it throw: P0137, P0171, P0300 (Thrown at 1375: p0133, p0171, p0139, p2096)
Is the issue on going?
Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Replace upstream O2 sensor on bank 1
Was the issue ever fully resolved?
N/A

The dealer claimed the intial code was potentially caused by driving through deep snow (the pre-xmas storm in the northeast). The second code their preliminary response has been that when one O2 goes, sometimes a second one does.
My recomendation is KEEP records. Use your phone to take a photo of dash evry time it happens showing MPG, milage & the check engine light, Keep the dealer record.
Sponsored