Sponsored

Survey- For those with misfire issues

Hootbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Rubicon
Couldn't they just reflash the computer using the misfire TSB software now that you got the new steering gear done?
Sounds like a conflict between the 2 flashes that needs to be updated.
The software flash for the Steering TSB is for a different module. It should not have affected or overwritten anything flashed to the PCM for the misfire TSB.
Sponsored

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
Only Fans Content Creator
Summer. Humidity. Yeah, more misfire threads are coming I think....

I think the best solution to misfires is probably running better fuel and tuning it with Livernois. 87 octane on 11.3:1 compression on an EPA tune is the recipe for knock down to the ingredient. Although it seems like the further de-tuned flash fixes most instances of spark knock. Im pretty sure mine came with that file as standard based on my build date.

Willys2Gladiator

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Vehicle Showcase

I think the best solution to misfires is probably running better fuel and tuning it with Livernois. 87 octane on 11.3:1 compression on an EPA tune is the recipe for knock down to the ingredient. Although it seems like the further de-tuned flash fixes most instances of spark knock. Im pretty sure mine came with that file as standard based on my build date.
What's your build date?

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Jeep Gladiator Mojave
The software flash for the Steering TSB is for a different module. It should not have affected or overwritten anything flashed to the PCM for the misfire TSB.
I've been running Shell 91 (almost) exclusively to reduce the spark knock. And you're probably right: correlation =/= causation 🤷‍♂️

Sponsored

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy

My misfire had nothing to do with octane rating. Summer fuel is lower in vapor pressure anyway. The problem is an underpowered engine with bad tuning being started cold and put under a load.
I could make my CEL light come on every time with a cold start and max AC.
It was a lemon thedealership could not fix after 4 tries.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
My misfire had nothing to do with octane rating. Summer fuel is lower in vapor pressure anyway. The problem is an underpowered engine with bad tuning being started cold and put under a load.
I could make my CEL light come on every time with a cold start and max AC.
It was a lemon thedealership could not fix after 4 tries.
When you run that much compression tuned that lean, octane has a bit to do with it.

Under load misfire means there was more ignition advance than the compression ratio & octane would support. Im not saying higher octane will necessarily fix every misfire case, but if octane isnt going up them compression or ignition advance has to go down. In simple terms, anyway. This is why ecm updates fix most of the problems.

Gijohn96

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overland
Occupation
Refinery guy
When you run that much compression tuned that lean, octane has a bit to do with it.

Under load misfire means there was more ignition advance than the compression ratio & octane would support. Im not saying higher octane will necessarily fix every misfire case, but if octane isnt going up them compression or ignition advance has to go down. In simple terms, anyway. This is why ecm updates fix most of the problems.
I have to disagree with you. Most of the CEL issues were during a cold start. Higher octane reduces the engine "knock". Engine knock comes from a cylinder firing prematurely because of the heat of a running engine. The higher the octane, the more stable the fuel is at higher engine temperatures. Octane rating has no impact on a cold start of an engine.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S/C Mojave
Occupation
I have to disagree with you. Most of the CEL issues were during a cold start. Higher octane reduces the engine "knock". Engine knock comes from a cylinder firing prematurely because of the heat of a running engine. The higher the octane, the more stable the fuel is at higher engine temperatures. Octane rating has no impact on a cold start of an engine.
Ok.

CCDANIELS

First Name
Camron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
I just got my Gladiator back today this is its 5th time in the shop. I noticed after 2 DIFFERENT PCM flashes that my truck was still shaking just as it was since i got it. About 6k miles (filled with many ESS service warnings) later my multicylinder misfire CEL came back, took it in and they replaced an intake cam. So far it does idle MUCH smoother but still has a light consistent vibration but no CEL and no ESS issues. Ive only driven maybe 10 miles though.... Also for anyone still having misfires, they JUST came out with the TSB to replace this cam. I dont know the TSB number....

Sponsored

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just got my Gladiator back today this is its 5th time in the shop. I noticed after 2 DIFFERENT PCM flashes that my truck was still shaking just as it was since i got it. About 6k miles (filled with many ESS service warnings) later my multicylinder misfire CEL came back, took it in and they replaced an intake cam. So far it does idle MUCH smoother but still has a light consistent vibration but no CEL and no ESS issues. Ive only driven maybe 10 miles though.... Also for anyone still having misfires, they JUST came out with the TSB to replace this cam. I dont know the TSB number....
Need that TSB number, friend...

CCDANIELS

First Name
Camron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon
Need that TSB number, friend...
This is the best I can do right now, he said the TSB came out March 5th if I remember correctly. Worst case you can call this dealership and ask where they got the procedure if the dealership you are working with cant find it. I also noticed they didn't want to spell out "P0300" on this invoice, little upset with that...

Attachments

Freshtracks

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator 2020, Jeep TJ sport 1998, Jeep TJ sport 2002, Jeep JK 2015
Build date: 10/24
Mileage when it first occurred: 275
How many times has it occurred: 2 + 1 at final assembly inspection
What exact codes did it throw: Cylinder #2 misfire(0302), multiple cylinder misfire(0300)
Is the issue on going? Y
If so, what has been done to try to solve the issue? Still at dealer & nothing has been done to resolve it. It continues to throw #0302 code after every 2nd key start.
Was the issue ever fully resolved? No
Im unsure of the exact build date(truck is in the shop) I custom ordered my Gladiator October of 2019, received it January 2020.
mileage when the light came on was 53,000 km, however I have noticed for a long time that the truck was losing power and mentioned it to the dealership a number of times, I've thought the truck was lacking power right from the get go.
its occurred 3 times since the first time. Im unsure of the codes.
issue is on going since January, Ive noticed it has a very rough idle as well.
whats been done to date, first time they replaced o2 sensor
2nd time they replaced more 02 sensors, and they had to order some that took a week to get.
3rd time in the shop (still there)they've replaced the fuel rail as it was plugged, I asked mechanic he had no idea why it would be plugged or what plugged it, they replaced all 6 injectors as 4 of the six were leaking by. still not running properly, they found the service bulletin early last week, and ordered a new intake camshaft for the right side bank, took a week to get, this week they replaced the camshaft, I got to see the old camshaft and the lobes are very worn I'd say 1/8 of an inch most of the way around. still not fixed, mechanic had everything back together ran it, and there was still an issue, yesterday ordered new rocker arms they were also worn down out of spec (mechanic had suggested this when replacing the camshaft) yesterday dealership had mechanic tear down the left side to inspect Camshaft and rocker arms all was good. today rocker arms are being replaced(I hope)
total time in shop since January 10 about 5.5 weeks, its been in the shop this go around since February 23.
is the issue on going, Obviously
was the issue ever resolved not yet, but fingers crossed today.

1JeepFamily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is the best I can do right now, he said the TSB came out March 5th if I remember correctly. Worst case you can call this dealership and ask where they got the procedure if the dealership you are working with cant find it. I also noticed they didn't want to spell out "P0300" on this invoice, little upset with that...
Thanks, friend.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if the TSB is 18-024-21 or 09-05-01-98 🤔

cecaa850

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator 2019 Porsche Macan S 2018 BMW M2
Thanks, friend.

I'm having a hard time figuring out if the TSB is 18-024-21 or 09-05-01-98 🤔
The bulletin is 18-024-21. Vehicle has to be built prior to 7-10-20. You either flash the pcm or replace the R camshaft and flash the pcm depending on what other codes you have.
Sponsored