Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JTR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Hot Dog Vendor
Yes. Being dishonest with ones self, the dealer, potential future owners.
I am constantly finding reasons why it's a bad idea to buy one of these used. The high residuals seem to encourage a beat-it-and-trade-it mentality. I've owned my current truck for 16 years and it took the first 10 to figure out and fix/bulletproof all of the dumb stuff that happened to it in its first 5 years of life.

easy analogy what's mud spelled backwards???? dum!!
Love it.
Sponsored

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
I am constantly finding reasons why it's a bad idea to buy one of these used. The high residuals seem to encourage a beat-it-and-trade-it mentality. I've owned my current truck for 16 years and it took the first 10 to figure out and fix/bulletproof all of the dumb stuff that happened to it in its first 5 years of life.

Love it.
Agreed, buying any used offroad vehicle is risky unless you really know your stuff or have a trusted mechanic who does...

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT Sport S Max Tow; Honda Element
Agreed, buying any used offroad vehicle is risky unless you really know your stuff or have a trusted mechanic who does...
Well, wouldn't you be able to tell by simply looking under it? Any vehicle that has even been remotely off-roading would have mud residue way up in places normally it wouldn't reach without some splashing. Frame/skids would have marks on them, ball joints and steering components would be excessively worn out from larger tires, etc. Most of what problems would come from would be visually noticed.

mike921921

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Altitude
Occupation
Retired
Well, wouldn't you be able to tell by simply looking under it? Any vehicle that has even been remotely off-roading would have mud residue way up in places normally it wouldn't reach without some splashing. Frame/skids would have marks on them, ball joints and steering components would be excessively worn out from larger tires, etc. Most of what problems would come from would be visually noticed.
Not electrical - the most insideous of problems. Works sometimes, doesn't other times. Man, a can of worms for sure!

RiverMtnBeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S MaxTow
FWIW: Iā€™ve damaged multiple vehicles in mud and water, including a Tacoma, Land Rover, and a Commander. After averaging about $2,500 per fix of various differentials and electronics (nothing was covered by warranty), Iā€™m done with that f*ckery. šŸ¤£šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:

Sponsored

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So how do folks around the world deal with problems? Is it all the electronics? Cause I'm watching Deadliest Journeys/Dicing with Death and these old beaters are just making their way through what we consider as moderate trails, daily, and aside from old parts just breaking on their 30yr old rigs, they do fine. Roads are nothing but mud usually.

Orange01z28

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Sport S
7/24/2020 - Purchased 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with upgraded Mud Tires I didn't even want.

7/26 - Hit the trail. Plowed it through the mud a bunch of times. It was covered in mud for sure and killed the alternator. Had it towed to the closest Jeep dealership. Russell Westbrook of Van Nuys.

@7/28 - Dealership told me that it was going to cost (starting at) $3K to fix my truck. Nothing was going to be covered under warranty. They wanted to start at replacing the alternator, radiator and both batteries. I wasnā€™t happy with this so I called the dealership I bought it from and they told me to have it towed to them.

7/30 - had it towed to the dealership I bought it from. They replaced the alternator and I was only charged a small deductible and told me that everything was all good with my warranty still. They didn't see the need to replace the radiator of the batteries.

8/6 - Picked my truck up from the dealership

10/31 - I notice my rear center brake light is out

11/5 - I notice that the Auto Stop/Start isnā€™t working which means that there is a battery issue

11/7 - my rear axles appear to be engaging in 2H while driving on the freeway at 70MPH. Once I slow down I realize that they are in fact locking up. I canā€™t unlock them if I try. I ended up fishtailing on two separate occasions while getting onto the freeway on dry California pavement.

11/9 - dropped it off at my dealership and pick up a rental car

11/12 - They tell me that they need to replace the entire rear axle, both batteries and fix the short that is in the taillight but there is a restriction that was put on my factory warranty that says that no repairs can be made and the extended warranty that I had purchased also wonā€™t cover it since they say that the factory warranty should be covering it.

11/13 -FCA tells me that there was a restriction put on my truck by a dealership (the first dealership that I took it to) I call the dealership and they assure me that they donā€™t have the power to do that.

11/14-12/1 - I am being bounced around from FCA to both of the dealerships that Ive been to to talked to General Managers of stores and on 12/1 FCA calls me and says that there is nothing that they can do about removing the restriction on the factory warranty because I "submerged" it in mud (it was less than a foot deep)

IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_4559.jpg

I have 4500 miles on it and the restriction on my warranty was placed on day 5 of ownership.

I think itā€™s time to get a lawyer. Any suggestions?
I just watched the video on this, that isn't even rocking mud that hard

I did way more to my Rebel and they ended up selling it as certified used

ninjaracing

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
I have a Jeep
7/24/2020 - Purchased 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon with upgraded Mud Tires I didn't even want.

7/26 - Hit the trail. Plowed it through the mud a bunch of times. It was covered in mud for sure and killed the alternator. Had it towed to the closest Jeep dealership. Russell Westbrook of Van Nuys.

@7/28 - Dealership told me that it was going to cost (starting at) $3K to fix my truck. Nothing was going to be covered under warranty. They wanted to start at replacing the alternator, radiator and both batteries. I wasnā€™t happy with this so I called the dealership I bought it from and they told me to have it towed to them.

7/30 - had it towed to the dealership I bought it from. They replaced the alternator and I was only charged a small deductible and told me that everything was all good with my warranty still. They didn't see the need to replace the radiator of the batteries.

8/6 - Picked my truck up from the dealership

10/31 - I notice my rear center brake light is out

11/5 - I notice that the Auto Stop/Start isnā€™t working which means that there is a battery issue

11/7 - my rear axles appear to be engaging in 2H while driving on the freeway at 70MPH. Once I slow down I realize that they are in fact locking up. I canā€™t unlock them if I try. I ended up fishtailing on two separate occasions while getting onto the freeway on dry California pavement.

11/9 - dropped it off at my dealership and pick up a rental car

11/12 - They tell me that they need to replace the entire rear axle, both batteries and fix the short that is in the taillight but there is a restriction that was put on my factory warranty that says that no repairs can be made and the extended warranty that I had purchased also wonā€™t cover it since they say that the factory warranty should be covering it.

11/13 -FCA tells me that there was a restriction put on my truck by a dealership (the first dealership that I took it to) I call the dealership and they assure me that they donā€™t have the power to do that.

11/14-12/1 - I am being bounced around from FCA to both of the dealerships that Ive been to to talked to General Managers of stores and on 12/1 FCA calls me and says that there is nothing that they can do about removing the restriction on the factory warranty because I "submerged" it in mud (it was less than a foot deep)

IMG_0009.jpg
IMG_4559.jpg

I have 4500 miles on it and the restriction on my warranty was placed on day 5 of ownership.

I think itā€™s time to get a lawyer. Any suggestions?
Jeep understands how their vehicles are used and are generally pretty lenient on warranty coverage. Sometimes service managers want to prove how smart they are by embellishing the reason the repair needs to be made. Your issue is with the dealer. They are the ones that put the restriction on your warranty. This is just a guess but discovery will probably show that you are not the only one they have done this to. What state are you in?

desertfox73

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Rubicon LE, 2019 Raptor SCrew
I'd start by filing suit against the dealership, the dealerships manager as an individual, and the hourly wage chump as an individual who put the restriction on the warranty for the full value of the vehicle and about double in punitive and legal fees.

Then I would file suit against FCA for permitting a dealership to void a warranty contract without legal contest.

Scorched earth, sue everybody unless you're being dishonest about the circumstances in which case you deserve everything you get.
Thatā€™s a pretty good way to make sure you spend tens of thousands of dollars that youā€™ll never see again, and could have used to just fix the truck.

Last summer I had a warranty fight with BMW, where they blamed me for transfer case failure based on some mods I had done (aftermarket wheels/tires that were the IDENTICAL size as OEM). I read Magnuson Moss backwards and forwards, and still felt I was in the right, but it didnā€™t matter - no lawyer would even take the case. The advice I got was: manufacturers have an army of lawyers and they fight warranty challenges extremely vigorously. One attorney I spoke with said fighting them could cost me tens of thousands of dollars, and I would likely still lose - or I could win, but who wants to take that risk alone? I didnā€™t.

mep4wd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
Software Consultant, Retired
Sorry to hear about your adventure with the Jeep dealer. It seems a huge hypocrisy that Jeep bases so much of their marketing on the fact that their vehicles will take you "anywhere".

The unsuspecting Jeep buyer does his research, checks out YouTube, sees all the "cool" stuff people do with (to) their Jeeps, buys one, breaks it, thinks it's covered under warranty and then gets stuck with a bill they had absolutely no reason to expect.

The Jeep manufacturers check out social media just like all of us. It's obvious to them that Jeeps are subject to far more stress (and abuse) than most any other vehicle. Dealers are caught in the middle between you and the manufacturer. A warranty is nothing more than a contract, written by lawyers, designed to meet absolute minimum state and national legal standards. Warranties mostly protect the manufacturer, not you. In fact the warranty is there to protect the manufacturer from you.

Many of the folks at my Jeep dealer own and drive their Jeeps off road. Every Monday morning there's that line up of vehicles that were off road over the weekend lined up outside their service write up areas. Their owners expecting to be "protected" by the warranty. The service folks know that somewhere in that line there's going to be "the one" that can't be warrantied due to a cause that is not under warranty or simple abuse (in my opinion, this is not in your case).

When it comes to the warranty there is a lot of "lawyer language" that gives Jeep huge latitude as to the extent of coverage they will provide, especially if there is evidence of off road use or a modification that can be associated with what ordinarily would have been a warranty repair.

I've spoken about this with my service manager. He told me that the WORST part of his job is when he has to inform someone that an issue can't be warrantied for whatever reason. His hands are tied by rules that even he often thinks are unfair.

The takeaway for me based on your unfortunate experience is this. Do your best to keep your Jeep clean (not saying yours wasn't). Wash it after every off-road adventure.

If it's still under any warranty at all...before going to the dealer for ANYTHING, even an oil change, make that thing look like a pavement queen that's never been driven in 4wd.

If you need warranty work, take extra care to clean or spray, outside, inside and especially underneath. Make it look like new.

Hope this is helpful to new Jeep owners.

Sponsored

Riccochet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKR | 2020 Ram 2500 | 2021 JT Sport
Thatā€™s a pretty good way to make sure you spend tens of thousands of dollars that youā€™ll never see again, and could have used to just fix the truck.

Last summer I had a warranty fight with BMW, where they blamed me for transfer case failure based on some mods I had done (aftermarket wheels/tires that were the IDENTICAL size as OEM). I read Magnuson Moss backwards and forwards, and still felt I was in the right, but it didnā€™t matter - no lawyer would even take the case. The advice I got was: manufacturers have an army of lawyers and they fight warranty challenges extremely vigorously. One attorney I spoke with said fighting them could cost me tens of thousands of dollars, and I would likely still lose - or I could win, but who wants to take that risk alone? I didnā€™t.
The advice you received was solid. You most likely would have lost. Unless those new wheels and tires were the exact weight as OEM then the manufacturer would have a case that the vehicle was altered from manufacturer spec. However unlikely that your mod caused the issue, in the legal sense the manufacturer was covered from liability.

Anything aftermarket is a huge grey area when it comes to factory warranty coverage. Unless those mods are installed by a dealer and specifically designed for and approved by the manufacturer. Like a Mopar lift.

DAVECS1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S Max Tow
I use warranty for body related issues, that is about it. Besides recalls I have not had the most consistent results with mechanical, when using the dealer. It also frees me up when making modifications. It is not budget friendly, but not horrible. For example many people have comcerns about the supercharger and engines reliability. I looked into long blocks. For 3500 bucks (half the price of the SC) I can replace the whole engine. For a mild investment on top of that I can bulk up the engine. At the end of the day the dealer and company should be able to get their machines right, but I find the latest trend is a large disconnect in company engineering and products. Development and support are not evenly staffed and trained. Mechatronics are highly underestimated and trained for.

Vestigo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 XJ, 2020 JT Rubicon
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
I'm at a loss to understand how they can put a restriction on a warranty of a vehicle that is supposed to be designed for off road use.

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer
I'm at a loss to understand how they can put a restriction on a warranty of a vehicle that is supposed to be designed for off road use.
Not to mention Jeep has a water fording depth rating of over 30".

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The most expensive part of the lawsuit wont be the lawyers but the "expert" witnesses who will have to present the believable testimony convincing a jury/judge one way or another. Prelim report, a good one, from an engineer will be about $20k easy. FCA just has to bring in the guys who designed theirs. Or, even better just show that your circumstances are nearly identical to the last guy who they beat and it wont cost them anything
Sponsored